Report: ASUS ROG Ally Closing in on 500K Units Sold

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So there we go then.

A modern handheld needs all the nessesarey buttons to play console games. Arguably this was vita's biggest stumbling block. Another revision with buttons and digital games on PSTORE would have done better than later revisions like set-top box VitaTV, and stupid shit like that phone steam-fan.

If you want to take it a step further modern again, we want it to have WiFi etc for streaming so it's a more full featured product. Like Q is almost half a product in that aspect, you know? We want it to be PS4 sku so it captures as many BC as it can and not split game library (if anything, some devs the could station at that level and reestablish Aa level games a bit).
I don't think a handheld needs all buttons to play consoles games... what the point?
Said that Vita having all buttons didn't saved it from failure.
All Vita and Switch have WiFi (optional models have mobile phone antenas for 3G/4G/LTE).

I don't know you but I want a new Portable from Sony not a PS4 in portable form.
I don't need stream to too (but that can be just an App for the new device)... I want new games made for PS portable that can be played anytime in my new PS portable without need streaming.
BC with old Vita and PSP can be good but not requiriment.

Nintendo showed how to make a sucessful portable (games needs to be made for it).
Sony needs to learn from that... Vita biggest issue was the lack of new releases that a PS4 SKU in portable form will have the same issues.

The Q is not even a portable gaming machine but just a local remote screen for PS5 (I have Vita and iPhone that can do the same and I never use that option)... totally different goal and one that I think will be very niche.

IMO or you create a new device and invest in developing/releasing games for it or just give up (that what Sony choose)... any other option I guess won't work... Q won't work... a PS4 potable device won't work.

A moderns portable device needs to set itself unique (with unique games made for it) to be sucessful... makes everybody wants to have that device (like Nintendo did with Switch).

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Nah man, it's extending your access to your game library. Nintendo kinda move the hardware around whilst MS go cloud streaming on whatever slapass android tablet will connect to GamePass/Xcloud.

Sony can split the difference with native storage for most gameplay, streaming/remote play of PS5. I don't think a PS5 level handheld is doable yet. But I really think PS4 level one should be.

All the shoulder buttons or stick clickability are needed because the games made for consoles expect to reference them.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Both are basically PC parts put together so for ASUS I don't think the R&D was that high... I don't know about Valve.
But that is not the point.
ASUS and Valve sells the device with profit over the cost of it because that niche market can buy it.

Sony can't do that because it gaming market won't buy that device... Sony will subzidie it and that needs to return back.

I agree but Sony can probably compensate that by mass production and higher sales.

Also software sales could balance it.

There’s nothing stopping Sony releasing a 500 dollar handheld.

Reactions: ethomaz

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Handheld PCs are here to stay. It's surprising that the Ally is selling despite significant hardware defects and terrible user experience via Windows 11 + Armory Crate. Good for them! We also got news this week than Lenovo is jumping into the handheld market.

Other than time-wasters for children, I can't see a reason for a new bespoke handheld platform by any console manufacturer. There's something magical about playing the exact same game on a handheld and a high end PC with cloud saving.

Amazing time to be a PC gamer yall.
Shhh Don’t tell ethomaz that he thinks Rog Ally has better appeal because of Windows. Even though Windows drains more battery, isn‘t as streamlined, and isn’t as secure as Linux on a handheld.

Last edited:

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Way faster than Steam Deck... at this hate will surpass it very soon.

Of course it is a devices with a better appeal due having Windows instead Linux... after by Steam research most Steam Deck users use Windows instead the SteamOS.
You’re also forgetting that you can buy the Rog Ally in stores, where as you still can’t for the Deck. Also Steam Deck didn’t really have a traditional launch it had supply issues. Also many Rog Ally’s were returned. Context is important.

Last edited:
Reactions: Systemshock2023

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Shhh Don’t tell ethomaz that he thinks Rog Ally has better appeal because of Windows. Even though Windows drains more battery, isn‘t as streamlined, and isn’t as secure as Linux on a handheld.
It's an extra silly pov because: STEAM DECK CAN RUN WINDOWS. Unless you really spend 90% of your time playing Destiny or CoD, SteamOS is a vastly better user experience. I've got Destiny installed on a Windows MicroSD when I really get a hankering.

And I figure both will come around given the policy of their new corporate owners.

Reactions: Petekilla

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Steam Deck status says that... not me.
Most Stem Deck users uses windows inatead SteamOS.

Plus Rog Alloy sold way faster than Steam Deck... so it has more appeal than Steam Deck and I guess it is due Windows.

It's an extra silly pov because: STEAM DECK CAN RUN WINDOWS. Unless you really spend 90% of your time playing Destiny or CoD, SteamOS is a vastly better user experience. I've got Destiny installed on a Windows MicroSD when I really get a hankering.

And I figure both will come around given the policy of their new corporate owners.
Most Steam Deck are running Windows not SteamOS.
That is why I said it.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

Plus Rog Alloy sold way faster than Steam Deck... so it has more appeal than Steam Deck and I guess it is due Windows.

That is why I said it.
absolutely wild claims all around

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Well on Windows you have ability to mod windows games. Does SteamOS have a PS Remote Play app?

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

It’s obvious you’re a Rog Ally fanboy. 😂 But it’s ok. Also context is important. I see you ignored my other post. Rog Ally had a worldwide launch and were sold in stores. Where Steam Deck wasn’t. Also we don’t know if these reports are true this was an anon leak, and not from Asus themselves. Also many of these were returned due to defective issues. That’s a fact.

Last edited:

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023

That is why I said it.
You know it is better to not say anything so nobody know your dumb

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
To put in perspective...

Steam July 2023 Hardware Survery.

Arch Linux 64 bit (SteamOS): 0.16%
AMD VANGOGH (Steam Deck): 0.82%

That means at best case only 20% are using Steam Deck with SteamOS.

You can look: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsu...are-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam?platform=combined

absolutely wild claims all around
You know it is better to not say anything so nobody know your dumb
I just show facts.

If you acept them or not it is your issue.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Problem Sony’s handheld will be compared to the Switch and its sales.

The PS Vita sold 15 million and is considered a failure.
Its not just that. Its sales were concentrated in Japan to the extent that its western userbase wasn't big enough for western publishers to devote resources to it. Having the one market was good enough that it let the system live a full life over there but it was "de-emphasized" in the west far sooner.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
To put in perspective...

You can look: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsu...are-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam?platform=combined
I looked, and that page lists used specs and operating systems across all hardware.

You're also conflating a lot of things. Arch Linux, the distro SteamOS happens to be based on, has many other flavors as well, all runnable on any PC. The SteamOS build used in the Deck is listed as "Holo", for which a fork for other PCs also exists, making it also unreliable to estimate relative OS popularity on the Deck.
Comparing a percentage of an operating system to a percentage of hardware, such as the VANGOGH SOC is nonsense.
Steam Decks running Windows are listed as Windows, alongside any machine running that.
You simply can't reach those nonsensical conclusions with the data you just shared with us.

Mercy Madison GIF

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
To put in perspective...

I just show facts.

If you acept them or not it is your issue.
You do realize that Arch kernel cannot be tracked by Steam right? That why Arch kernel distro existed. If SteamOS is tracked it would looked like this.
steamos-is-now-the-most-popular-linux-distro-on-steam-v0-poyalbuq3dl91.png

Steam Deck itself is a device which is recognized by Steam OS as a SKU, meaning instead of showing up as AMD VANGOGH, it just gonna show AMD Custom GPU.

Also there is like 3 different other hardwares that use the same SOC.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You do realize that Arch kernel cannot be tracked by Steam right? That why Arch kernel distro existed. If SteamOS is tracked it would looked like this.
steamos-is-now-the-most-popular-linux-distro-on-steam-v0-poyalbuq3dl91.png

Steam Deck itself is a device which is recognized by Steam OS as a SKU, meaning instead of showing up as AMD VANGOGH, it just gonna show AMD Custom GPU.

Also there is like 3 different other hardwares that use the same SOC.
They changed that.

In previous Steam Hardware Survey it was listed as "AMD Custom 0405" but it changed now to "AMD VANGOGH".
The Steam data is what it is.

But let's show you that.

"SteamOS Holo" 64 bit: 42.07% (+2.74%) of all Linux
AMD VANGOGH: 42.05% (+2.73%) of all Linux

There a very small of Linux user that installed Steam OS in machines that are not Steam Deck.
But overall the numbers of Linux Steam Deck machines matches with the number of Linux SteamOS machines.

Only Steam Deck uses AMD VANGOGH.

I understand that Steam Deck Survey can have some error with the Linux OS in Combined because it lacks Steam OS.
That can explain why it shows Steam OS with Linux being ~20% of Steam Deck in Combined.
But that is a error that needs to be fixed by Steam Deck Survery while that that is what it shows.

Last edited: