Report: Bungie Is Likely Developing ‘Destiny 3,’ Codename ‘Payback’

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
960x0.jpg

via Forbes

As Destiny Bulletin first reported, back in February, an account posted something far-fetched on the Destiny2leaks subreddit. They revealed something called Prism, which ended up being the Prismatic subclass. The comment, which is still up today: “Anyone here know if prism has been leaked yet? Since there's been no answer yet I guess I'll leak it: Bungie is working on a system called prism that will allow players to mix and match abilities from different subclasses. This is one of the things being worked on during the delay. Imagine throwing a lightning grenade while on solar, or procing devour and rampaging with Stormcaller.”

So, the idea here is that Prismatic is a set-up for how Destiny 3 might evolve the game in a major way by eliminating subclasses altogether and letting players mix and match powers to a greater extent. Though I do wonder if Prismatic was built because of the delay, that they’d already base the entire next game around it. The poster also doesn’t seem 100% sure Destiny 3 is still in development, but I have to imagine that it is. Another open question would be the timing here. Would this be something that just appears one fall during what would normally be an expansion window after a bunch of yearly episodes, or would Destiny 2 need to stop producing content for a while so the vast majority of the studio could work on this? (And lets not forget Marathon). There’s no info on that here, though stopping content production means stopping revenue, something I’m not sure new owners Sony wants to happen. Though I think the entire Destiny community agrees that yes, at some point, a true Destiny 3 will need to arrive at some point if the series is going to survive. My prediction has always been it wouldn’t arrive until the next console generation, and with this news, I’m still sticking with that from a timing perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Not a Destiny player but that sounds awful. Moving away from strict classes in an online shooter=unfun.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Destiny arguably one of the biggest and most popular fps game during ps4 xbox one era

Destiny 2 are ok but not as big

Interesting to see how this goes

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Update.

Leaker has revealed that Destiny 3 will be a new game and has been in development since 2022.

IMG-0180.jpg

Expecting UI and QOL systems, sandbox to directly carried over with gear earned thru episodes to carry forward at minimum. Question is whether this engine upgrade will vault the existing game in its entirety. If Luke Smith’s tease is to believed we will hear about it after final shape release.

Last edited: