Report: Microsoft has laid off their DEI team, shutting down diversity division

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Ok, but you'd be surprised how many people don't have that kind of common sense.
I hear you; it's a lot more complicated than I had just made out, and there is, unfortunately, no magic bullet or wand to fix the problem straight away.

We have to hope that future leaders/governments make the right moves.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Now it’s Sony turn. Seriously after Concord bomb it should be a wake up call for Sony & PS leadership to give PS fans what they want not this experiment aswell as focusing on PC & potentially Nintendo instead of there own platform that is lacking exclusive games w poor output then there competitors.

Reactions: gokuss4

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
It's not just MS. Other companies are pulling out too. This company, Tractor Supply Co., gave some insight into their decision:

A few points he makes are very interesting. He lists customers, employees, and then shareholders as the order of priorities for a business. And that DEI initiatives don't work with that - which I agree with and we've seen it with gaming too. He also says that making social change the responsibility of businesses doesn't work, which is also true. It's an interesting look at this issue from the perspective of the business side.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Dude American school education is the worst and produces some grade A dunces that have no clue how to handle the world. The states are still the greatest land of opportunity for anyone who wants to work hard and DEI would not be needed if people realized they are not entitled to success. But then again you have a culture that glorifies gansta rap and teenagers dream about becoming influencers rather than engineers so america is cooked anyways.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I hear you; it's a lot more complicated than I had just made out, and there is, unfortunately, no magic bullet or wand to fix the problem straight away.

We have to hope that future leaders/governments make the right moves.

I agree that DEI is unlikely to achieve its stated goals. Most people blow off the trainings or misapply them. And even if some manner of parity is achieved, we have entire generations of people that have been brought up with a victim mentality and increasingly young people aren't being taught by the older generations how to be responsible for themselves, and our economic system is inexorably grinding them into a perpetual wage slavery that puts them on the debt treadmill for life. Meanwhile we have the people in charge constantly distracting them with shit that doesn't matter like whether 0.01% of the population deserves their own bathroom.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Microsoft will go whatever they thinks will sell.
They used the DEI initiative as a selling point in 2020 and now they will use the right wing political moment in US to sell things.

If something changes in the next years they will again create a new DEI team.

🤷‍♂️

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Microsoft will go whatever they thinks will sell.
They used the DEI initiative as a selling point in 2020 and now they will use the right wing political moment in US to sell things.

If something changes in the next years they will again create a new DEI team.

🤷‍♂️
All west seems to be on the way to go right wing. All corporates to follow. It has nothing to do with Microsoft.

Reactions: ethomaz

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
When dealing in a creative medium, I'd rather meet people where they're at. Just make what you feel inspired to make and let the public decide if they want it or not.

Trying to reprogram people or make them aware of their biases is a fool's errand. At the very least let it take place in another industry but not video games.

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
You would think it would blow up on Era, the most woke place on the internet, but I can't find a thread about it 😬

It's from IGN so it's not like the source is unknown.
Something smells really fishy about that place and their relationship with Microsoft. Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally fishy.

On-topic: unqualified non-black people, heterosexual people, men, non-immigrants etc. are hired and given positions of influence every single day. There are significantly more people like Rob Schneider and Steven Seagal than Idris Elba and Ian McKellen.

Xbox has been horribly mismanaged for about a decade now. Based on what we know, their leadership doesn't consist of a lot of women, black people, gay people, and immigrants. In fact, it's the exact opposite of that. With that in mind, eliminating a DEI team within the company will probably result in zero changes to their software and hardware output. They're not going to start 'sexyfying', unblacking, and dude-broing their games because a pink haired chick no longer works in their outreach efforts to the LGBTQ community.

I'll never support hiring unskilled people over skilled people for a skill-based position. But I think we need to cut the shit and get back to reality. In reality, Microsoft was worth $381.72 billion in 2014. In 2024, they're worth $3.37 trillion. Where is the evidence that the business has been negatively impacted by hiring minorities?