Report: Some European retailers will no longer be stocking physical Xbox games due to no demand

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
xbox-series-consoles-1440x810.jpg

Several European retailers are reportedly no longer stocking physical Xbox games.

That’s according to GamesIndustry.biz’s Christopher Dring, who said on the Games Industry Microcast that he’d heard that sales of physical games for the console are so low that retailers have decided to stop stocking the products.

“I got told by a major publisher just before Christmas, that across Europe, several retailers have started not listing Xbox anymore,” said Dring.

“So they’ve just started not stocking Xbox games anymore, Xbox is such a digital console, the physical performance of games is really low, and ultimately when you’re selling a console that most people are just downloading games for, it doesn’t really benefit the retailer very much.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
There's also a rumor that most of their upcoming games will be digital only releases. Their next console probably won't have a disc drive.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
Low software sales in general, coupled with Series S market share and digital to physical ratio, means retailers have never had as little incentive to stock Xbox games.

I suspect the amount of shelf space Xbox consoles occupy will also become smaller and smaller.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Some in Spain already didn't have an Xbox section since years ago, and only had some Xbox games in the PS or Switch shelves. Some stores didn't even have Xbox games.

EmberBlaine

26 Jan 2024
Murica
I literally only bought my Xbox One for Killer Instinct and the potential for more Rare games getting revivals. I've bought almost every major game on Xbox One / Series X over the last almost decade. I'm about ready to just jump ship to PS5 and rebuy a large chunk of my Xbox games on PS5. Most of them are third party anyway.

It's really sad to think Perfect Dark won't get a disc release, if that game even comes out...

EmberBlaine

26 Jan 2024
Murica
Hell honestly, it's been rough having just the Series X the last few years. Indiana Jones and the Great Circle is the first Xbox only title that I've had an interest in since Halo Infinite (which I honestly really really liked, despite what most people say)

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I literally only bought my Xbox One for Killer Instinct and the potential for more Rare games getting revivals. I've bought almost every major game on Xbox One / Series X over the last almost decade. I'm about ready to just jump ship to PS5 and rebuy a large chunk of my Xbox games on PS5. Most of them are third party anyway.

It's really sad to think Perfect Dark won't get a disc release, if that game even comes out...

I've been wondering about that with regards to physical releases. If MS does release first-party games on other platforms, will it be digital only? I'm really only interested in the Fallout series, but I'm very committed to buying physical and don't plan to compromise on that.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
This will genuinely enter it into a death spiral. Sure, nobody is buying them, but people still see them on shelves. Removing physical is going to severely limit visibility. If they had a good exclusive, and I walked by it in a store, it at least puts it in my mind. Any digital ad is either blocked, or outright ignored subconsciously.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
This will genuinely enter it into a death spiral. Sure, nobody is buying them, but people still see them on shelves. Removing physical is going to severely limit visibility. If they had a good exclusive, and I walked by it in a store, it at least puts it in my mind. Any digital ad is either blocked, or outright ignored subconsciously.

Agreed. Their mindshare is already low and this will just push it lower - perhaps non-existent in countries who do not have the infrastructure for a seamless all-digital gaming experience.

Reactions: EmberBlaine

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Who could've guessed that conditioning your playerbase to not spend money buying games could led to a downfall in sales
But Gamepass is £10 X 40million people per month = ………. What a load of crock shit people use to say about Gamepass And how it will change the industry and be successful

Reactions: Jivesh1995

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
I love that the EU and the CMA ended approving this deal that was so good for competition: less jobs, less competition due to Xbox basically ending their hardware offer, and probably less games because the brand is in shambles.
And let's not forget the best part: because they also turned a blind eye to MS taking over OpenAI, now a big portion of those lost jobs are being replaced by AI.