Report: Sony "to secure an additional $8 billion-ish dollars for proactive Merger & Acquisitions"

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That's why they won't sell, short of their day to day becoming unsustainable
It's a public traded company and the four biggest owner own about 1/3 of the company combined. Doesn't seem impossible at all, Sony would obvious pay a premium like they did for Bungie but it could work. There is nothing out there nearly as attractive as far as publishers.

Even a hostile take over is likely also an option and I don't doubt most employees would like it since these owners are precisely the guys that fucked it all up recently. But ideally Sony would be able to get the current leadership behind this.

Also, CDPR owns the gaming rights of The Witcher series, so Sony would now own what pretty much has become the best selling WRPG series as of the last release.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Would be good if Sony could get the licenses to television away from Netflix, to make a proper production instead of the borderline CW fair it is today.

Absolutely, Netflix shoulda listened to Henry Cavill a bit more....

The effects were not great and the casting outside Cavill was a bit off too but it was the writing that was the real disaster.

CP2077 could really be something great in tv or film too... if approached correctly. Keanu in there!

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Absolutely, Netflix shoulda listened to Henry Cavill a bit more....

The effects were not great and the casting outside Cavill was a bit off too but it was the writing that was the real disaster.

CP2077 could really be something great in tv or film too... if approached correctly. Keanu in there!
Cavill is way too good for the amateur writing in the show.

Cyberpunk would be great, and just the same it’s all about the writing.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
It's a public traded company and the four biggest owner own about 1/3 of the company combined. Doesn't seem impossible at all, Sony would obvious pay a premium like they did for Bungie but it could work. There is nothing out there nearly as attractive as far as publishers.

Even a hostile take over is likely also an option and I don't doubt most employees would like it since these owners are precisely the guys that fucked it all up recently. But ideally Sony would be able to get the current leadership behind this.

Also, CDPR owns the gaming rights of The Witcher series, so Sony would now own what pretty much has become the best selling WRPG series as of the last release.
Honestly, if they've lost faith in the leaders of the company that much then I'm not sure it's worth buying.

Hostile takeover is pointless, the exits in the company alone would make it a shell of what it's been

If they want to sell that's the only way. But 1) I don't think they'd sell at this price, 2) I doubt they'd sell to Sony. In fact I reckon they probably blame Sony to an extent for their current stock plummet. Sony nearly ended them by pulling from the PS Store

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Would be good if Sony could get the licenses to television away from Netflix, to make a proper production instead of the borderline CW fair it is today.
Yes. But in any case we have to remember that CDPR doesn't own the IPs, so Sony could license them anyways without buying them as did let's say with the Metal Gear movie.

CDPR $2.6B market cap right now, it's a steal. TW3 sold 40m+ copies and despite the disaster that was Cyberpunk it still sold 20m+.
Still way too overpriced. Sony paid recently $2.4B for the Bungie stocks including a premium. They created Destiny (the fastest selling new IP ever, that revolutionized AAA GaaS), plus also Halo. And they owned Destiny IP, while CDPR owns no IPs. Plus have important management issue. CDPR should be valued half than that.

Reactions: Shmunter

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I hate that Microsoft kickstarted yet another shitty trend in gaming, this time the one were consolidation seems like the path forward.. I have to clarify that I'm not against buying independent developers, but I'm fully against publisher acquisitions (unless they go bankrupt, of course). Additionally, I'm referring to platform holders, not publishers buying other publishers. That's shitty as well, but it's a different can of worms.

Still way too overpriced. Sony paid recently $2.4B for the Bungie stocks including a premium. They created Destiny (the fastest selling new IP ever, that revolutionized AAA GaaS), plus also Halo. And they owned Destiny IP, while CDPR owns no IPs. Plus have important management issue. CDPR should be valued half than that.

Cyberpunk alone has probably surpassed 1.5B in revenue, and I'm being very generous here. There's no world where CDPR is worth less than 2ish billion, and 2.4B is a steal. Them having or not their own IPs is completely separate since their games sell 20M+ copies. If Sony ever acquires CDPR they can clean up their executive level staff, which is the biggest problem, and course correct the company into being more productive. They can also leverage GoG as a platform for their own games.

Reactions: Shmunter

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I do not think CDPR is worth it. Especially since they announced a bunch of software just to scam investors. They just cancelled a fake cyberpunk spin off.

I no longer trust CDPR. Don’t get me wrong. I expect Sony to clean them up. Wait? Isn’t CDPR like heavily funded by their local government?

Square is the right play. For Ff14 alone. If Ms wants a stranglehold in the genre of the JANKrpg that Bethesda and CDPR specialize in… I’m fine with it.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yes. But in any case we have to remember that CDPR doesn't own the IPs, so Sony could license them anyways without buying them as did let's say with the Metal Gear movie.

CDPR owns the gaming right for The Witcher so they actually own an IP too. I looked into it and they paid upfront and it's now theirs. Sony would be able to make as much games as they wanted using it.

What is out there that is more attractive than CDPR? I don't see anything else on that level. Quality is the most important thing and despite their recent fumble they are a proven studio that released in 2015 what is too a lot of people one of the best RPGs ever or even one of the best games ever (if you make a list on this very site I bet a lot of people will end up including TW3 among their favorite games).

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
I do not think CDPR is worth it. Especially since they announced a bunch of software just to scam investors. They just cancelled a fake cyberpunk spin off.

I no longer trust CDPR. Don’t get me wrong. I expect Sony to clean them up. Wait? Isn’t CDPR like heavily funded by their local government?

Square is the right play. For Ff14 alone. If Ms wants a stranglehold in the genre of the JANKrpg that Bethesda and CDPR specialize in… I’m fine with it.
Yeah I agree, CDPR is not a good fit for anyone. Square Enix is a much better fit for Sony.

Reactions: Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Yeah I agree, CDPR is not a good fit for anyone. Square Enix is a much better fit for Sony.

I’m saying this as someone who for the most part enjoyed the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk more than any recent Square Enix rpg.

I have my concerns with post-Witcher CDPR. I think they grew exponentially and beyond their scope. Sorta depends how this cyberpunk expansion plays out but that last round they did announcing all those projects and a western studio … nah man… I think that was some scam shit to keep their stock price from cratering. It’s not happening.

Square tho? Their history and country of origin alone makes it the best fit. Square and Final Fantasy is already associated with PlayStation. Sony is also quite serious about investments in live service and seeing how FF14 is the only thing that is able to compete with WoW in that space is nothing to scoff at.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If Sony is buying SE it has to be before FFXVI because that game is going to be a banger, I feel it in my gut. To me it seems very unlikely.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I’d much rather prefer Sony invests in studios over publishers and stay a bit more grassroots. I’m definitely against them acquiring any other major publisher that’s for sure… but…Square fits. I can’t dispute that. I don’t even think it would anything change much as far as console preferences etc.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
If Sony is buying SE it has to be before FFXVI because that game is going to be a banger, I feel it in my gut. To me it seems very unlikely.
Why does this to have happen before FF16 release?
Acquisitions don’t happen overnight, especially not for public companies. If Sony wants to buy Square Enix, they will do it. Regardless if their market cap value does rise.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Why does this to have happen before FF16 release?
Acquisitions don’t happen overnight, especially not for public companies. If Sony wants to buy Square Enix, they will do it. Regardless if their market cap value does rise.

… if those rumors as to why Square sold off Eidos being about a Sony purchase have any truth to them I’d expect that all to play out over the next few months and definitely not overnight. Especially with all this acquisition drama.

It may have happened already and we’re just waiting ..: 😳

Reactions: Eternal_Wings