Report: Sony "to secure an additional $8 billion-ish dollars for proactive Merger & Acquisitions"

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I hope Microsoft takes this to court and use this as fuel, and if it's true then Sony is very hypocritical in their own arguments they made with the FTC and others, an eye for an eye. Want to make the market fair then Sony should think twice about making purchases. --- Before anyone comes at me yes I'm excited for Spider-Man 2.
Boo hoo

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Screenshot-20230522-170535-Chrome.jpg

Please let it be true!

Would be a good acquisition for gaming but I think Witcher has been juiced already in the cross-media area.

Heisenberg doesn't know anything BTW. He was part of our discord for a long time.

24 Jun 2022
You seem to really not like the idea of Playstation making major acquisitions, but they'll have to if MS keeps making moves that will permanently take away from their available games library. Also, I'm just saying that Sony don't have to wait on these F.Y. allotments to gain capital for acquisitions, which is objectively true. I'm not interested in picking apart another buzzkill dissertation attempt from you, lol.

It's...kind of @Yurinka 's schtick at this point.

I would agree to the idea that Sony aren't going to, say, make an acquisition today or this week, or this month for that matter. However "short-term" doesn't necessarily have to mean a few years, it could be as little as 2-3 months out.

Granted I also did not see Hiroki's quote above until now; from the GAF thread on this I thought it would be more about buying shares & making investments in various 3P companies, which could still be the case in addition to a larger acquisition or two. But yes it does seem he is very much more accepting of the idea of making larger acquisitions which, considering PlayStation's importance to the company, would obviously be in relation to that area (at least in large part).

Mid and long term in a corporate strategy context means years from now, at least minimum a year. Their current budget runs out in March 2024, so very likely they'll make a new one for the next 3 years period or simply won't make any new dedicated budget and instead will acquire, invest or repurchase stocks when desired.

That is your assumptive read, but you are not Hiroki Totoki, are you? You're also not a mind reader, so for all we know mid-term could be within the next 3-6 months. It does not have to specifically mean a year, even in a corporate context.

Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023

Gay Bowser is on unhealthy levels of copium and salt lmao
Does he think Sony is supposed to just sit there and watch while Xbox attempts to decimate their third party support?

Reactions: Puff
24 Jun 2022
Seems they eventually will end up with Playstation and Sony Pictures/Music. They are severing everything else to focus on entertainment. Risky bet...

They won't get rid of their semiconductor side and will still retain 20% of the financial services business after divestment. But yes, they are seemingly "going lean" and honing in on their strengths, which may be risky, but also smart.

I'd be super happy to see Sony announcing in the showcase that they will buy Capcom, From Software or Square.

But being realistic and looking at the facts, what Sony did and said was that they reduced their acqusitions budget to around $140M for this year, to spend that removed money in something else (image sensors division + servers) and mentioned that they would leave the acquisitions for the mid and long term instead. Which means that they won't make unannounced acquisitions soon, at least this year.

It's possible that they could in fact announce an acquisition or two this year and be looking to spin off the financial services unit to put that money towards paying the acquisition(s) off after they are approved, which depending on the size & type could be "relatively" quick or take more time, upwards a year or slightly longer.

Also, these M&As can be paid for in ways besides simply cash. Mixtures of cash, stock options, loans etc. can be used. The money they seek with selling off 80% of the finances unit could be rolled into an ongoing M&A strategy and simply cover part of the payment options for those.

Gay Bowser is on unhealthy levels of copium and salt lmao

He is trying VERY hard to think Sony would not use some significant portion of this for growing PlayStation, their single-most important unit financially. Quite obvious he does not want to consider that option when it has a higher probability than this primarily being for Sony Pictures.

Not saying it is exclusively with PlayStation in mind; it'll most likely be spread along their various units including film/TV, music, subscriptions, image sensors, semiconductor, and smartphone. But you better believe the largest portion is probably going towards PlayStation.

And again, M&As don't have to rely on simply cash. They can be a mixture of that, stocks, loans etc. Sony won't be limited to simply the funds raised through selling off most of the financial unit.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's possible that they could in fact announce an acquisition or two this year and be looking to spin off the financial services unit to put that money towards paying the acquisition(s) off after they are approved, which depending on the size & type could be "relatively" quick or take more time, upwards a year or slightly longer.

Also, these M&As can be paid for in ways besides simply cash. Mixtures of cash, stock options, loans etc. can be used. The money they seek with selling off 80% of the finances unit could be rolled into an ongoing M&A strategy and simply cover part of the payment options for those.
In a future fiscal year maybe, but Sony said they leave the acquisitions for mid to long term and reduced the related budget to $140M.

Not because they didn't have money or because they have to pay with this budget. They reduced the budget because prefer to spend now that money instead on their image sensor division and servers, and leave acquisitions for later (mid to long term) once market conditions are more favorable and taking their time to do it with the best timing and making better valuations.

And yes, they can pay acquisitions in multiple ways but Sony prefered to it during the current 3 years period that ends in March paying only with the money they did put in this budget.

They can change their plans in the future, specially in future years, but a few years ago they explained to their investors and market analysts their plans for the current fiscal years and are the ones I explained.

That is your assumptive read, but you are not Hiroki Totoki, are you? You're also not a mind reader, so for all we know mid-term could be within the next 3-6 months. It does not have to specifically mean a year, even in a corporate context.
I'm not Hiroki Totoki, I'm only a person who is quoting what Hiroki Totoki said when showing their fiscal report a few years ago, where they also explained where they were going to allocate their money this fiscal year and where they show that only have around $140M for investment + acquisitions + stock repurchases this FY.

And provided the link to the sources in the other thread including screenshots of the numbers and direct quotes.

There isn't a rule, but in corporate strategy typically short term means around a year or less, mid term often refers from around over a year to 3 or 5 years. And long terms often refers beyond 3 or 5 years.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Lol, this again?
Is this including or not including the 10billion that turned into 5 billion that turned to 100m? That was meant for acquisitions…

I dont think PS is ever going to anwser the Bethesda Purchase. Maybe a 3rd party studio at most

Reactions: nongkris

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I hope Microsoft takes this to court and use this as fuel, and if it's true then Sony is very hypocritical in their own arguments they made with the FTC and others, an eye for an eye. Want to make the market fair then Sony should think twice about making purchases. --- Before anyone comes at me yes I'm excited for Spider-Man 2.

Fair would be Sony being able to purchase a publisher to answer back MS buying Bethesda. If the Activision deal doesnt go through than it will be all fair and square. No need to purchase after that.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
"Consolidation in entertainment has been happening and Sony doesn't want to be left behind." - Hiroki Totoki (SVP, CFO Sony) Plans are underway to secure an additional $8 billion-ish dollars for proactive Merger & Acquisitions
The "Consolidation in entertainment has been happening and Sony doesn't want to be left behind." quote from the article isn't from Totoki or anyone else from Sony. It's from David Gibson, an analyst from MST Financial.

Lol, this again?
Is this including or not including the 10billion that turned into 5 billion that turned to 100m? That was meant for acquisitions…
Yes. According to Sony they spent most of it and reduced the remaining one for this year to $140M because want to leave acquisitions for mid to long term and spend now that money instead elsewhere.

But some people here prefers to don't believe Sony and trust instead a random Twitter user who says -without providing any source- that they plan to spend there $8B.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Seems they eventually will end up with Playstation and Sony Pictures/Music. They are severing everything else to focus on entertainment. Risky bet...
I think they are still putting effort into Cameras.

So many outside of Playstation, Music, Pictures. Cameras, Walkman and Phones.
What else do you think they should be involved in? Have they stopped Laptops? What else did they use to do?

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I think they are still putting effort into Cameras.

So many outside of Playstation, Music, Pictures. Cameras, Walkman and Phones.
What else do you think they should be involved in? Have they stopped Laptops? What else did they use to do?
A lot more than that. All kinds of Electronic products: Blu-Ray Player, Sound Systems, TVs, Monitors, Beamer, Professional Camera Systems for Film Studios, in the near future E-Cars, sensory business and even space.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Fair would be Sony being able to purchase a publisher to answer back MS buying Bethesda. If the Activision deal doesnt go through than it will be all fair and square. No need to purchase after that.
Got a good point, an eye for an eye but still they have been fighting for this to be blocked, now they want to buy companies, and you know what I hate Xbox right now but I hope when it does happen I hope to God that they do exactly what Sony did and fight this in Supreme Court in America. I would 30% agree with you but when Sony has been complaining to the government about the "unfairness" of Xbox buying Activision. It's very hypocritical.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Got a good point, an eye for an eye but still they have been fighting for this to be blocked, now they want to buy companies, and you know what I hate Xbox right now but I hope when it does happen I hope to God that they do exactly what Sony did and fight this in Supreme Court in America. I would 30% agree with you but when Sony has been complaining to the government about the "unfairness" of Xbox buying Activision. It's very hypocritical.
Sony only talked about CoD, they never said anything about any other MS acquisition.

JohnnyLove

3 May 2023
Right now, there's no way Sony isn't buying something big. I even expect some big steps in the gaming area from Sony. The only question is what Sony will buy. There are gaps in the Rpgs area