Report: The International Olympics Committee is abandoning Mario & Sonic franchise in favour of NFTs

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
maxresdefault-(1)_1aojd5N.jpg

The International Olympics Committee walked away from its partnership with Nintendo and Sega for the long-running Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games series in order to explore deals with new partners, NFTs and esports, Eurogamer understands.

As the real-life Olympics gets underway in Paris, there's been discussion online of there being no new Mario & Sonic tie-in for this summer's Games, for the first time in almost two decades.

Speaking with Eurogamer, a veteran behind the series has now said the decision to end the popular Mario & Sonic franchise rested with the IOC, which chose not to renew its licensing deal with Nintendo and Sega, and allowed it to lapse in 2020.
Source

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Technically its just a deal with Sega, isn't it? They both develop and publish it and I know there was a mobile version that stripped out the Mario characters one year. Anyways, it was obvious for awhile now that something had happened, since no game was announced or released.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I kinda forgot it existed, seems like the series has declined since the Wii era, cause I haven't heard anything about the Tokyo 2020 charting despite Switch base.

Checked the sales and this from the VGS wiki, declined heavily indeed since the Wii.
Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games
1,333,643​
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
1,175,333​
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
1,222,721​
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
3,738,022​
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games.
6,979,257​
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games.
13,060,000​

Last edited:

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
I guess this is the problem of having the Olympics every 4 years. They are behind with 4 years in trends.

2spooky5me

Veteran
12 May 2024
Those "official" Olympic games during the PS2-PS3 era, some of them aren't that bad.
I actually like the Mario & Sonic and that recent SEGA one (the one with the Astronaut on the cover).

Weird change by the IOC.