Resident Evil 4 has sold over seven million copies!

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
  • Resident Evil 7 : 5.1 million (As of March 31, 2018)
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake : 5 million (As of December 4, 2019)
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake : 3.6 million (As of March 31, 2021)
  • Resident Evil Village : 6.1 million (As of March 31, 2022)
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake : 7 million (approximately one year after its release)

img_coo_009.svg

Last edited:

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Good do code veronica next
That game sold like under 3 million on all systems it releases on combined. There is like a 99% chance it doesn't get a remake but if it some how did expected it to be rushed and cut out like 70% of the game

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Still don't understand how people enjoy replaying this game over and over. But good for Capcom.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Maybe because the game is a masterpiece, and even 18 years later it's still a masterpiece, a much better game than many of today's games.
Village section is great... Castle is a chore, a masterpiece it is definitely not in my eyes. End section is blah too

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Village section is great... Castle is a chore, a masterpiece it is definitely not in my eyes. End section is blah too
Not for you maybe, but for most it is.

RE4 is the 2005 GOTY.
It was a graphical slap in the face when it came out on GameCube.
It's the game that revolutionised TPS and laid the foundations.
96 metacritic, the highest rated RE in history.

It's quite simple without RE4, we wouldn't have all the third-person shooters we know today, from Uncharted to Gears of War, not to mention Dead Space.

And having played the remake last year, the game hasn't lost any of its superb quality. After many years It's still a great game and the sales for this Remake are well-deserved.

Reactions: RE4-Station

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

RE4 is the 2005 GOTY.

It's quite simple without RE4, we wouldn't have all the third-person shooters we know today, from Uncharted to Gears of War, not to mention Dead Space.

And having played the remake last year, the game hasn't lost any of its superb quality. After many years It's still a great game and the sales for this Remake are well-deserved.
Uncharted was inspired by Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider games also were third-person game. so RE4 came before all Tomb Raiders? okey..

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022

RE4 is the 2005 GOTY.

The original RE4 is still unmatched by any game even to this day imo.
When RE4 first released it felt like a huge shift in the gaming industry similar to Ocarina of Time. Resident Evil 4 felted so ahead of its time and I still rate the original over the remake mainly due to how Ashley Controls in the original and the laser site for all guns just feels better. (Also not a fan of what they did to the Del Lago and Mine Cart sections in the remake.)

It's funny looking back, in the late 2000s to mid 2010s RE4 didn't rank on many influential games list. Heck in mid 2018 people on resetera were claiming PUBG was more influential than RE4. For some reason Gears of War got most of the credit even tho Cliff Bleszinski gave credit to RE4 and Kill Switch and inspiration for Gears but during the 7th and early 8th gen Gears got a lot of the credit for third person shooters but now I see people now going back to RE4 for the influence for modern day third person shooters.

I think it has to do with how much more positive the Resident Evil franchise is seen nowadays as RE5 and RE6 were mixed when it comes to reception despite them sell pretty good over the years. But I also think how many people over the years cite RE4 as influence for there games is what turned the tide.
Everybody knows that Dead Space was massively changed during development thanks to RE4
Bioshock's lead level designer Bill Gardner took inspiration from RE4
Neil Druckmann is not only a huge RE4 fan but also said The Last of Us Clicker's were their chainsaw enemy from RE4 and took a lot of inspiration from RE4
Cory Barlog cited RE4 and RE7 as inspiration for God of War 2018
Dark Sector was massively overhauled thanks to RE4
Heck RE4 even inspired newer developers in the Resident Evil franchise with Resident Evil 8 Village's Director claiming Resident Evil 8 was a version of RE7 with Resident Evil 4's DNA. Resident Evil 8 was built in mind around RE4

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Evilms

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Uncharted was inspired by Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider games also were third-person game. so RE4 came before all Tomb Raiders? okey..
While there are probably many influences to uncharted such as Indiana Jones and even gears of War. Seeing how big Bruce and Niel were fans of RE4 I don't think it's out of the realm that Uncharted took quiet some inspiration from RE4

Also here's a former Naughty Dog employee claiming both Gears and RE4 changed Uncharted's Gameplay:

• they're_right_you_know

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
While there are probably many influences to uncharted such as Indiana Jones and even gears of War. Seeing how big Bruce and Niel were fans of RE4 I don't think it's out of the realm that Uncharted took quiet some inspiration from RE4

Also here's a former Naughty Dog employee claiming both Gears and RE4 changed Uncharted's Gameplay:

neither of them were designers or programmers. one was writer another artist.
even from your own link they stating that Uncharted was inspired by Gears of War which took from Kill Switch if we are talking about cover shooters, because how i said before, they took most influence from Tomb Raider, which already was Third Person shooter in 1996.

of course, games are inspired or influenced all the time.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
The original RE4 is still unmatched by any game even to this day imo.
When RE4 first released it felt like a huge shift in the gaming industry similar to Ocarina of Time. Resident Evil 4 felted so ahead of its time and I still rate the original over the remake mainly due to how Ashley Controls in the original and the laser site for all guns just feels better. (Also not a fan of what they did to the Del Lago and Mine Cart sections in the remake.)

It's funny looking back, in the late 2000s to mid 2010s RE4 didn't rank on many influential games list. Heck in mid 2018 people on resetera were claiming PUBG was more influential than RE4. For some reason Gears of War got most of the credit even tho Cliff Bleszinski gave credit to RE4 and Kill Switch and inspiration for Gears but during the 7th and early 8th gen Gears got a lot of the credit for third person shooters but now I see people now going back to RE4 for the influence for modern day third person shooters.

I think it has to do with how much more positive the Resident Evil franchise is seen nowadays as RE5 and RE6 were mixed when it comes to reception despite them sell pretty good over the years. But I also think how many people over the years cite RE4 as influence for there games is what turned the tide.
Everybody knows that Dead Space was massively changed during development thanks to RE4
Bioshock's lead level designer Bill Gardner took inspiration from RE4
Neil Druckmann is not only a huge RE4 fan but also said The Last of Us Clicker's were their chainsaw enemy from RE4 and took a lot of inspiration from RE4
Cory Barlog cited RE4 and RE7 as inspiration for God of War 2018
Dark Sector was massively overhauled thanks to RE4
Heck RE4 even inspired newer developers in the Resident Evil franchise with Resident Evil 8 Village's Director claiming Resident Evil 8 was a version of RE7 with Resident Evil 4's DNA. Resident Evil 8 was built in mind around RE4
Above all, Resident Evil 4 was a revolutionary and landmark game in the same way as :

Catslevania/Metroid
Super Mario Bros
Street Fighter 2
Doom
Shenmue
Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid
Soul Calibur
ISS
Half Life
Grand Theft Auto III
Soul's Games

I would also add RE4 has influenced many other games and continues to do so. The same can't be said for Gears Of War, Uncharted or even Dead Space, to name but a few.
You'd have to know nothing about video games to deny it.

Reactions: RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
neither of them were designers or programmers. one was writer another artist.
even from your own link they stating that Uncharted was inspired by Gears of War which took from Kill Switch if we are talking about cover shooters, because how i said before, they took most influence from Tomb Raider, which already was Third Person shooter in 1996.

of course, games are inspired or influenced all the time.
Read the third line in the article "mainly due to two titles; Resident Evil 4 and Gears Of War."
Also Gears of War's cover system was inspired by KillSwitch. The over the shoulder comer was inspired from Resident Evil 4 (Also Cliff claimed he liked the pacing of RE4): https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gdc-07-cliffy-b-disassembles-gears-mentions-sequel/1100-6167213/
(Also Bionic Commando was another title that helped inspire Gears)

Lastly while Tomb Raider was an inspiration for uncharted it clearly wasn't a gameplay inspiration since Tomb Raider Legend (2006), Tomb Raider Anniversary (2007), and Tomb Raider Underworld (2008) all didn't use the over the shoulder camera system Uncharted, Gears, and RE4 used and also relied on lock on aiming which none of those 3 games have.