Resident Evil 4 remake has added microtransactions to upgrade weapons quicker

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
%E3%80%90RE4%E3%80%91_SS_33_GL-1280x720.jpg

Capcom has added microtransactions to the Resident Evil 4 remake, enabling players to pay extra to upgrade their weapons quicker.

The free Mercenaries mode DLC is added to the game today, but it’s also been accompanied by 11 new pieces of paid DLC called ‘Exclusive Upgrade Tickets’, each letting players speed up the upgrade process.

“To gun enthusiasts, knife collectors, and lovers of weapons of any and all kinds,” the DLC description reads, “here’s your ticket to the gun show! Specifically a ticket to be redeemed at the Merchant’s shop.

“With this, you’ll have access to a weapon’s exclusive upgrade at any time, regardless of the weapon’s level. Not only that, but once unlocked, the upgrade itself is free of charge!

“This item will be added to the Treasures menu and will be available across all of your saved data.”

Each upgrade ticket costs $2.99 / £2.49 and there are also a number of multipacks letting players buy three or five tickets at a discount.

In total, if players were to buy everything, they would get 23 upgrade tickets at a total cost of $55.89 / £46.05.

There was no indication from Capcom that microtransactions were being added to the game.

• Informative
Reactions: laynelane

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Ewww I'm the type that didbt even try to get unlimited ammo in Resi Evil Village because it would ruin the meta of the game completely. Resi Village also has dlc you can buy everthing or it opens up everything in the shop.

I mean this mtx doesn't bother me as it is online mp and it doesn't affect my play through.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Just add a microtransaction to skip to the end credits. Why play for anything?
I mean thts on the gamer. I don't look at those types of mtx ever, fuck tht! I love to have three bullets left and five enemies and not knowing wtf ima do "oh yeah I can shoot three and stab the other two :))

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I mean thts on the gamer. I don't look at those types of mtx ever, fuck tht! I love to have three bullets left and five enemies and not knowing wtf ima do "oh yeah I can shoot three and stab the other two :))
yep, to me using those microtransactions would just make me finish and quit the game sooner, i like the idea of working towards upgrades that you actually earn from killing mobs, there must be some sort of sense of joy or satisfaction in beating the game that way, unlike just buying everything

Last edited:

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Makes the plat easier to achieve that's all more or less. Lessens the difficulty as well but you can toggle difficulty parameters as is (easy, normal, hard, extra-hard).

Obviously it's wrong and they shouldn't do it but it's their game and they do whatever the fuck they want with it.

Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Makes the plat easier to achieve that's all more or less. Lessens the difficulty as well but you can toggle difficulty parameters as is (easy, normal, hard, extra-hard).

Obviously it's wrong and they shouldn't do it but it's their game and they do whatever the fuck they want with it.
i suppose for people that don't have time to play and want to get the plat, i can 100% see the reasoning behind your point.

At the end of the day each to their own, but its something i would personally never do

Reactions: Gamernyc78

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
They did something similar with DMCV. You could buy red orbs to upgrade your character quicker. I would never use things like that since earning them in-game is part of the experience, but I suppose Capcom is looking to make money off those who do. As long as they don't impact game balance, I don't see it as a huge issue.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
After sell 4 million full priced copies you still add microteansactions lol
That's why the talk of raising Gabe prices was moot abd bs. When mtx and dlc came on the scene the excuse was that mtx and dlc would help offset rising costs which was a big reason for which was all bs. Once you accept something these big corps look for another way to increase revenue. Most of these companies absolutely did not need tk raise their game prices that used mtx abd dlc as extra income drivers.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I perfer microtransactions to a point. Sometimes life is just so busy, I don't mind paying a bit of money to get something quicker, as an option.

What I have massive amounts of problems with is the idea of grinding skill trees that permeates nearly all games, where gameplay itself is hampered to "encourage" those purchases instead. Because then, even if you chose not to spend mtx, you're still hamstrung by that grinding design choice.

I hate that, but I prefer it to the more modern lootboxes/timed store carousel that some games have. That's not how to maximize player engagement over time ffs. They don't even let you make a judgment call on an mtx's worth properly, it's just "here's the shit in the shop window right now" or "here's a random grab bag"

Reactions: nongkris

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
What I don’t get is… how do they dare doin this kinda nonsense in single player games when I barely see it in online games where those kind of grinds are often a crux of their gameplay?

It surprised me when Ubisoft dared to sell xp boosters for asscreed and since they still do it I imagine people are buying … :/

• brain
Reactions: laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
What I don’t get is… how do they dare doin this kinda nonsense in single player games when I barely see it in online games where those kind of grinds are often a crux of their gameplay?

It surprised me when Ubisoft dared to sell xp boosters for asscreed and since they still do it I imagine people are buying … :/

I think the goals are different. For online games, they want to keep people playing. They want them to invest their time into the grind. So, giving them means to eliminate the grind would be counter-intuitive and would cause people to just drop your game and move onto another. With RE, it's purely about making money off those with too little time or patience to attain things in the normal way. There's no need to keep them playing since, unlike online games, they've already got their money for the game itself and there's no recurring spending (normally).