Richard from Digital Foundry on PS5 Pro: "It will cost you a fair bit more to build an equivalent PC"

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
That's why this comparison only makes sense for people that start from scratch. For a console user, getting the next one is always the cheaper option if BC.

Same for a PC user: A good high end PC should last 2 or 3 graphics card upgrades. CPUs get only obsolete due to lack of instructions.

If someone starts from scratch and is equally inclined to play on console or PC, the PC is the best option. Even if at 700 USD does not give you HW equivalent to the PS5 pro. You can access a significantly larger library of games among all other benefits in gaming + it's other uses beyond gaming.

This is the logic followed outside of the core console markets. You need a PC, you do not need a console, might as well go all in and build the best PC you can or buy the best gaming laptop you can.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
As much as I shop Apple. Sony is not doing an Apple. Apple charge way more than usual price. Sony is not doing that

Its still a niche product but nothing wrong about it. Sony is not over charging.

The next FUDs are gonna be. This didnt sell over 1m on launch window so its DOA and scalpers when the numbers come out…
These fuckers have nothing better to do then try to hate on PS

Reactions: Muddasar

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
“No amd gpu has that at the moment”

full.png
full.jpeg

• haha
Reactions: Fenton and Kokoloko

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
The good thing is that it seems that AMD has been working to compete better with NVIDIA in upscaling. Lets see what they show with the RX 8000 series. That's the only valid comparison.

Otherwise it would be like comparing the 780ti vs the GPU in an Xbox one X. You can't compare based on grunt alone.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Yep. A Samsung 980 Pro with 2TB. Total for that was $206. I can find better deals somewhere else, but again, I was lazy.

Ryzen 7 3700X:150.11
Generic CPU cooler:29.99
Moterboard:$99
Memory:$89
Storage:$206 2TB
GC:$539 (4070)
Case:89
PS:$99
Wheres the goddamn mouse mat, that's at least 10 bucks more!

I was looking for the Straw that broke the camels back, this is the best I could come up with.

Camel GIF

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
DF is now owned by IGN. Richard is probably going to be reprimanded for his answer, too.

Oh yeah that’s right they bought a bunch of websites.

There’s going to be some serious shilling it up for the next several years huh? My lord.

Reactions: Entropi

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
DF is now owned by IGN. Richard is probably going to be reprimanded for his answer, too.
Oh yeah that’s right they bought a bunch of websites.

There’s going to be some serious shilling it up for the next several years huh? My lord.

IIRC DF was a partnership venture with EuroGamer, Richard still owns his majority share of DF. I recall Richard talking about it when the news broke and what it meant for DF's content and if there was some concern on their end.

But yeah, probably means that every once in awhile they'll cross path with IGN.
I'm sure he's going to love it, especially if he's going to interact with the great minds at IGN that deal in video content...

-----

As for the PC vs PS5 PRO argument thing.

A console will always be a better price proposition, that was never in doubt(unless you're a troll).

The question one has to ask is: Of the pool of potential customers that would want a PS5 PRO(in the 10M~ range) how many of them are more likely to decide to pay more to get a PC that can do more things compared to the pro.

My read on it is... More likely than the PS4 PRO, which... Duh!

But in terms of total numbers, how many?
That's what we're going to find out in a couple years as we get towards the EoL of the PS5.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
PC Nerd from Era coping. Lol

“A 4070 is going to be better than a PS5 pro though. They aren't equivalent.

I think the main thing is that when you are tlaking about 700, 800 900 bucks, you're getting into PC gaming territory. And for someone who cares enough about frame rates, graphics options and IQ, the extra couple of hundred bucks to build a better PC might start making sense.

There are also people who have a gaming PC around the PS5 level, or slightly below or slightly above and to them a brand new GPU is probably looking like a much better investment than a Pro console”.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
he said:
CPU
power supply
2tb ssd
PSU
Motherboard

Forgot:
Cooling since these cpus don't often come with one or it's terrible
Mouse and keyboard, preferrable gaming type since dualsense is also gaming grade.
Like.. a windows 11 lol. I mean... it's not really free is it

Like... if we are really thorough, a mousepad is like another 20$ lol but let's not go there since it's kinda stupid

quick, terrible pc. I used 3700x because that's more less what ps5 has. Picked normal components, not all the lowest grade stuff. OK motherboard does not need to be x570 but it better be if you want another 4.0 drive in there (I would add 500gb drive just for system)
xd1wXep.png
After all of that, whoever buy this PC misses the point of buying a PC as these parts are outdated and will have to change the entire thing when time comes for an upgrade.

Reactions: rofif and Entropi

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
he said:
CPU
power supply
2tb ssd
PSU
Motherboard

Forgot:
Mouse and keyboard, preferrable gaming type since dualsense is also gaming grade.

Like... if we are really thorough, a mousepad is like another 20$ lol but let's not go there since it's kinda stupid

quick, terrible pc. I used 3700x because that's more less what ps5 has. Picked normal components, not all the lowest grade stuff. OK motherboard does not need to be x570 but it better be if you want another 4.0 drive in there (I would add 500gb drive just for system)
xd1wXep.png
Hell no. $1700 for a 4070 build. Pro is embarrassing PC gaming lol.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: rofif and Entropi

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
Gaming grade hardware isn't always the best choice. For instance, headphones. Many gamer headphones are garbage sound wise when compared to the audiophile equivalents

Cheap 50-60 dollar mechanical keyboards will outperform any expensive RGB nightmare keyboard

Reactions: Entropi

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
he said:
CPU
power supply
2tb ssd
PSU
Motherboard

Forgot:

xd1wXep.png
Add there a DualSense and a wifi7 card. Being generous $1700.
Even getting some cheaper stuff elsewhere we're talking at $1500+.

In a popular retail store from Spain, PC Componentes. Tried to choose the same, with a cheap ass case and some cheaper small variant. Again, you have to add a DualSense, Windows and a wifi7 card. So > 1600€ too, over twice the 800€ price of a PS5 Pro and it's a huge, ugly and noisy box.

And well, I'm pretty sure it will perform worse than a PS5 Pro.

image.png

Last edited:
Reactions: rofif

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Why are you guys making PC equivalents to a 350W console with 300€ motherboards when there are 60€ equivalents, 100€ coolers when those CPUs bundle an adequate cooler, >100€ PSUs rated for 700W on a 450W system that could use a much cheaper 500W PSU and the priciest DDR4 with RGB you could find?

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
The closest to the PS5 Pro one can do in a PC is this:

Captura de ecrã 2024-09-13 083128.png
Captura de ecrã 2024-09-13 083140.png

I guess you can throw in a DualSense for 60€ driving it up to 1130€. I thought about going for a WiFi 6E adapter which would save like 50€ but I guess I should be as fair as possible.
In Europe this compares to 800€.

A couple points:

1 - GPU will be substantially faster in rasterization.

2 - Whole system has 32GB RAM, GPU alone has 16GB total which doesn't share with CPU.

3 - That 2TB drive does 7000MB/s vs. the 5500MB/s on the PS5 Pro.

4 - The PSU is 550W but it's still an overkill. The GPU is rated for 270W and the CPU for 65W. Everything else won't add up to 50W more so we're looking at ~380W top.

5 - There's a ton more of I/O and modularity that you can make use of.

So is it "a fair bit more" than 800€? Yes, but it won't be for long.

Come the RDNA4 graphics cards, we'll probably get a much closer GPU to the PS5 Pro going for 400€. As soon as more WiFi 7 adapters come up to the market, they'll be a lot cheaper too. Especially the USB ones. Same thing with the CPU, as there'll be better options under 150€. Price-per-GB on storage will eventually go down as well.

Also, for a regular gamer the money saved on games throughout a couple of years will probably top the price difference within 3 or 4 years.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Gaming grade hardware isn't always the best choice. For instance, headphones. Many gamer headphones are garbage sound wise when compared to the audiophile equivalents

Cheap 50-60 dollar mechanical keyboards will outperform any expensive RGB nightmare keyboard
Again depends.
Audeze Maxwell is the best sounding wireless headset.
Or Sony pulse elite I am using right now. Planars, amazing wireless but lossless signal. Even maxwells do compression but not pulse elite. The most detail I’ve ever heard.
Imo times have changed. Gaming stuff is good.
You need gaming keyboard to have nkey rollover. I use 8bitdo retro keyboard now. It’s so amazing.
For mouse you want gaming too since 125hz feels awful.