"Road to Vostok" developer decides to migrate to Godot

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
The fallout of Unity shortsightedness continues.

Indie developers have already begun working hard at porting their games from Unity to Godot, many of them, in fact, surprised at a lower than expected barrier of entry.

One such case is the developer of the much anticipated FPS survival game "Road to Vostok" who has recently published a youtube video (titled "New Beginning") explaining this decision.

Reactions: anonpuffs

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I'm not experienced enough to say if Godot is up to the task of replacing Unity, but it clearly has to get there. Unity has to die and Unreal is too heavyweight to pick up the slack. Even on powerful gaming PCs, the Unreal editor runs like a dog. When you compare that to Godot, there is a clear appeal to having a lighter weight game engine, whether open source or not.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
OP
OP
Old Gamer

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
I'm not experienced enough to say if Godot is up to the task of replacing Unity, but it clearly has to get there. Unity has to die and Unreal is too heavyweight to pick up the slack. Even on powerful gaming PCs, the Unreal editor runs like a dog. When you compare that to Godot, there is a clear appeal to having a lighter weight game engine, whether open source or not.
The Godot editor is extremely lightweight, even compared to Unity. Judging by what this developer experienced, Godot is likely to be a suitable engine for many small scale games indeed.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The Godot editor is extremely lightweight, even compared to Unity. Judging by what this developer experienced, Godot is likely to be a suitable engine for many small scale games indeed.
It definitely seems good enough to make Hollow Knight or Cuphead in. I'd like to see some shipping Godot games at least at the level of Firewatch or Outer Wilds.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Unreal is already next-gen!

Seriously with some of the stuff unreal does it's amazing that it runs at all. But still, very few meeds that to make the game they can/want

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Unreal is already next-gen!

Seriously with some of the stuff unreal does it's amazing that it runs at all. But still, very few meeds that to make the game they can/want
Yeah, on a 6700XT, I get significant lag opening menus in Unreal with a basic scene loaded. Godot can load small scenes on an integrated Intel laptop without a ton of jittering.

The potential for Godot to be the defacto game engine and Blender the defacto 3d art tool for everyone from hobbyists up to AA published developers is very cool. I could definitely see it leading to vibrant dev communities sharing knowledge.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster