Rumor: Bethesda has been in turmoil since the death of their CEO

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
To no one's surprise. Most, if not all, AAA first party studios at MS are having issues. It's not a coincidence.

This alone should be grounds for the acquisition not going through. Devs go there to die.

This is just a big guess based off past history with micro buying companies and the turmoil ensuing. You could have asked any one of us here and we would have guessed the same. The common mantra here is "Microsoft will fuck up and mismanage their newly acquired companies" and for good reason.

Well, when you are designing your games strictly for Gamepass and around Gamepass, we see the results

Reactions: Puff and Gamernyc78

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Personally, Microsoft needs to get in there and clean it all out if necessary. Microsoft needs to integrate Bethesda into Microsoft and eliminate them from being an independently run publisher when they're owned by Microsoft. It's fucking stupid. Then, Spencer and Booty need to start being more hands on with every studio in general. If it was me, I would want progress reports and status updates every three months. I would want to know how all the projects are proceeding and if the studios need anything like more personnel, more money or more time and if so, why? The entire hands off approach is fine for letting them create the games that they want to create but still need to be on their ass. I believe this should also apply to ABK after it goes through.
You don't think they get progress reports?

You think the solution for these studios is to be MORE "Microsoft like"?

Microsoft IS the problem. The fact that people still don't seem to wrap their heads around this boggles my mind. Every product they make is total garbage. They are not a good software company.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Screenshot-from-2023-04-19-16-21-50.png

This guy is probably counting the days to when he can just quit being a MS employee, open a new studio and move on from Creation Engine all the baggage.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Source is dubious, but a company that gels with its parent/overlords would not have one of the studio heads/game directors blatantly say the quiet part out loud like Harvey did with the PS5 version of Redfall being cancelled.

I can't help but think this constant negativity around the game and Xbox in general is getting to the devs. They're only human, after all.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
This is consistent with what I've heard from my source who is familiar with Bethesda's thinking. He said that they are also not working on TESVI at all because they're "bored" with the setting. They might license it out but they won't develop it themselves. He did not specify who exactly was bored of the setting, whether it was Todd or the team in general.

Bad News Nbc GIF by Law & Order

Reactions: Puff

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Yeah I don’t buy into TES not being made at all.
Last TES VI trailer was from 2018 ( thats 5 years) and we havent heard anything new ever since

Something deff happened there ..or probably nothin happened at all( no progress) depends on how you look at it:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Well, when you are designing your games strictly for Gamepass and around Gamepass, we see the results
I've always said due to gamepass microsoft would restrict budgets because they are weary of spending when the income isn't enough to cover the expenses thus restricting devs on what thy want to do with a game and their vision.

P

peter42O

It has actually been the opposite with Microsoft. In the past they were too involved in overseeing development and would fuck up by restricting devs and changing their vision (as per maby rumors and testimonies in the past). They only started talking about hands off with devs a year after Sony went public stating many times they allow devs to do their own thing and they just foster them. Microsoft just started parroting those same lines because they saw it worked for Sony. Same as making their ips more open once Sony started talking about it with Uncharted 4 and others. Problem is Microsoft isnt a leader, just a follower and do not know how to manage their companies. They have no unique identity or vision. Companies btw that have released blockbusters without being under Microsoft in the past.

You don't think they get progress reports?

You think the solution for these studios is to be MORE "Microsoft like"?

Microsoft IS the problem. The fact that people still don't seem to wrap their heads around this boggles my mind. Every product they make is total garbage. They are not a good software company.

I believe that the structure and setup of how the gaming side works is the problem. Being hands on telling studios what to do or how to make the games is different from simply knowing how every project is going every quarter and if the studio needs anything while developing the game. I also believe that Spencer and Booty come across as "buddies" to all the studios as opposed to being the bosses for the gaming division. In other words, they need to be more strict in regards to deadlines and whatnot while still giving the studios what they need in order to be successful which they don't seem to be doing at the moment.

KungFucius

10 Jan 2023
Wouldn't surprise me if true. Would also explain why MS is struggling to get anything out even among the acquisitions made before Bethesda

That's why Sony incentivise their payments and also invested in retention and employee incentives with Bungie
How could MS have anything to be blamed for in getting things out the door at Bethesda? They closed the deal 2 years ago and that is not even half the length of a development cycle. Bethesda just wasted too much of their resources on Fallout 76. What does it matter what their senior leadership does? They are all replaceable anyways.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
i predicted all this shit...quite common after a big merger/acquisition. things are not going to get better for MS/Bethesda/ABK.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
How could MS have anything to be blamed for in getting things out the door at Bethesda? They closed the deal 2 years ago and that is not even half the length of a development cycle. Bethesda just wasted too much of their resources on Fallout 76. What does it matter what their senior leadership does? They are all replaceable anyways.
2 years under MS is 2 years under ms, not insignificant and certainly well into under the polishing stage