Rumor: FF9 Remake is cross-platform and “Not very ambitious”

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
On what planet do sales determine the quality of a game and not reviews?
Neither do. That's how ridiculous your argument is. It's good because the reviews say so. If that's true than 13 is better because the sales say so. See how ridiculous that sounds?

We're talking about the same reviews that gave Halo Infinite an 87, Starfield an 83, both incredibly broken and shallow games but rated FF XVI an 87 as well. They're meaningless.

I'm basing my view on the game on the fact that I finished it, along with most other numbered titles. While X-2 felt a bit off and shallow, it was a sequel. And XI was an online game.

Which leaves XII as the first numbered, single player game that had a definitive shift in how a FF game looked, felt and played.

Most locations are bland and felt like MMO dungeons. No personality to locations. A complete shift in gameplay, from turn based to "play the game for me, please". Summons are incredibly disappointing. Something that used to be what got you through tough fights, now dies in a few attacks from an ordinary enemy. One of the worst protagonists in games.

Just an incredibly bland experience that constantly reminds you the game was shoehorned into a SP experience after their multiplayer plans didn't work out. A complete tonal shift that only happens to very few franchises. The only thing I can compare it to is MGSV, which also left a bad taste in players' mouths.

The only thing I liked were the Judges design and some story beats. I still remember seeing the intro cutscene all those years ago.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Neither do. That's how ridiculous your argument is. It's good because the reviews say so. If that's true than 13 is better because the sales say so. See how ridiculous that sounds?

We're talking about the same reviews that gave Halo Infinite an 87, Starfield an 83, both incredibly broken and shallow games but rated FF XVI an 87 as well. They're meaningless.

I'm basing my view on the game on the fact that I finished it, along with most other numbered titles. While X-2 felt a bit off and shallow, it was a sequel. And XI was an online game.

Which leaves XII as the first numbered, single player game that had a definitive shift in how a FF game looked, felt and played.

Most locations are bland and felt like MMO dungeons. No personality to locations. A complete shift in gameplay, from turn based to "play the game for me, please". Summons are incredibly disappointing. Something that used to be what got you through tough fights, now dies in a few attacks from an ordinary enemy. One of the worst protagonists in games.

Just an incredibly bland experience that constantly reminds you the game was shoehorned into a SP experience after their multiplayer plans didn't work out. A complete tonal shift that only happens to very few franchises. The only thing I can compare it to is MGSV, which also left a bad taste in players' mouths.

The only thing I liked were the Judges design and some story beats. I still remember seeing the intro cutscene all those years ago.

Sometimes it’s best to accept your opinion on a game isn’t universally accepted by others.

Just cause you don’t like FF12 doesn’t mean it’s not a great game. Most people did enjoy it and the universal reviews show it.

I don’t like RE4 for it being a departure from the OG RE games but I accept it is one of the best games of all time.

FF12 is a better game than 13, 15 and 16 and the latter games are responsible for the fall of FF cause they were average.

Dare I say FF16 is the final nail in the coffin. A barebones game which I don’t even consider an RPG.

Deserves an 87 after more retrospection. It’s shallow just like Starfield and Halo Infinite.

FF12 was anything but shallow.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
FF prime was between VI and IX. Hell, Square soft peaked during those days if we consider non FF RPGs as well. Once graphics got more detailed and voice acting was added you could see how ridiculous the designs were and how bad the dialogue was. Older games left more to imagination which was a plus the way I see it.

If IX is going to be nothing more than a remaster, folks are better playing the moguri mod from the steam version.

24 Jun 2022
FF prime was between VI and IX. Hell, Square soft peaked during those days if we consider non FF RPGs as well. Once graphics got more detailed and voice acting was added you could see how ridiculous the designs were and how bad the dialogue was. Older games left more to imagination which was a plus the way I see it.

If IX is going to be nothing more than a remaster, folks are better playing the moguri mod from the steam version.

Maybe they want to financially support an official release instead? Which would also be available on more platforms going by the sound of this.

Also Amano's designs are awesome. Maybe a more watercolor-based anime-esque art style would be interesting to see how they'd look in 3D that way.

meant more they have a plan for exclusive games

wonder whats coming next then:unsure:

Honestly I hope it's non-FF stuff. Between Square and Enix, they have a LOT of IP tightly associated with PlayStation historically that could be perfect for mid or even high-budget AA revivals (I do specifically mean AA here, not AAA). I think doing timed exclusivity with these types of games would be more financially feasible before then getting ports to Steam or consoles like the Switch 2.

Though I also wouldn't rule out some of these also being Day 1 multiplats. It'd really just come down to case-by-case. Anyway, hopefully Sony & Square-Enix are working together on any one or more of these type of IP:

-Parasite Eve​
-Brave Fencer Musashi​
-Ergheiz​
-Einhander​
-Xenogears​
-SaGa Frontier​
-Planet Laika*​
-The Quintet Trilogy (ActRaiser, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma etc. line of games)​
-Bust A Groove​
-Grandia​

Now I don't know if S-E own the rights to stuff like Grandia or not, or if Game Arts does (I know Game Arts holds the rights to the Lunar series).

Planet Laika has the lowest chance of ever coming back among all of these games but it's also one of the most unique and interesting games I've ever personally played. It does seem like S-E might have ownership of Quintet's IP library or at least a good enough relationship to license their IP out from them as Quintet themselves are defunct. So that's interesting to consider.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I might be mistaken, but he doesn't say that it's going to be multiplatform, quite the contrary : « It's difficult for Square and Sony not to reach an agreement, but at this moment in the generation, it's not necessary for all games to have a contract; right now, there are future-oriented thoughts. FFIX is not a very ambitious project. »

He simply states that it's possible that it would be because it is less of a tentpole remake, and because we are at the mid-generation mark and exclusivity deals make more sense at the start of a gen when people need to choose a console.

Another shitty clickbait title.

Reactions: Luffy123