Rumor - PS Plus Extra, Premium Games for July Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
ps-plus.900x.jpg

The list of PS5, PS4 games coming to PS Plus Extra and PS Plus Premium later this month may have been leaked ahead of time by a ResetEra poster. From user BlackBate — who has been on the money with their leaks in the past after looking through their post history — says the following games are coming to the service for July 2022:

BlackBate clarified this is only "some" of the games that make up the list for the month, and that they'll all be added to the service on Stray's release date: 19th July 2022. We speculate the lineup could be officially announced on the Wednesday prior to the drop.

As for whether you should believe these claims, we would advise caution — we always do with these sorts of rumours. It doesn't come from the usual, reliable PS Plus leaking source of Dealabs, but BlackBate's post history does suggest they're someone in the know. They accurately shared details on Death Stranding Director's Cut ahead of time, knew about Skull and Bones' re-reveal yesterday, and have leaked information on a Microsoft Flight Simulator expansion before its announcement.

Last edited:

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Nice collection there, my girlfriend would be happy if we didn't own all those Assassin's Creed games.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I actually subbed to extra just for the hell of it…

Please no more Ubisoft trash

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
That would make sense since they said Ubisoft games in the service will hit 50 by the end of the year, I believe.

So it's a fairly safe bet that at least some of these would get in there by even chance.

Reactions: Deleted member 38

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I know the games are old but all these AAAs will create very high expectations for Sony every month. GP started big and now it's all washing, laundry, lawn simulators and other Steam bundle rejects 🤣

They seem to be getting very friendly with Ubisoft too. Capcom, Konami and Sega are absent 😕

24 Jun 2022
I know the games are old but all these AAAs will create very high expectations for Sony every month. GP started big and now it's all washing, laundry, lawn simulators and other Steam bundle rejects 🤣

They seem to be getting very friendly with Ubisoft too. Capcom, Konami and Sega are absent 😕

Well Sega seems to have some deals with Microsoft; Capcom and Konami I would just assume are down to not having too many games they want to throw in just yet, they're on the lighter side when it comes to putting stuff in sub services (especially Konami).

Anyway these are some good inclusions; know for sure I need to sub sometime this month, there's a decent backlog I already know want to start tackling.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022

I think if Sony is smart they'll use these first few months to get a reputation for the service, now it's the time to convince people to give it a shot and convert to the higher tiers.

A lot of the value people see on Gamepass comes from it's reputation more than what is actually being delivered lately, specially since MS games day one on it were the big draw but MS shamelessly goes ridiculously long periods without any big release.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
since MS games day one on it were the big draw but MS shamelessly goes pretty much an entire year without a big release.
The july drop on GP reminds me of those "pay-what-you-want" bundle you get for charity. Most of them you won't even click to redeem the code 🤣

They keep parroting the Day 1 AAA but they have nothing for more than a year. It was all a scam.

PS+ is cheaper too.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: nominedomine

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
The july drop on GP reminds me of those "pay-what-you-want" bundle you get for charity. Most of them you won't even click to redeem the code 🤣

They keep parroting the Day 1 AAA but they have nothing for more than a year. It was all a scam.

PS+ is cheaper too.
Imagine the person that fell for this Day 1 AAA talk in 2018 and paid full price... It's an absolute ripoff. The percentage of people that actually care about playing a bunch of random indie games, some random AAA destined to flop or some niche PC AA, etc, is extremely small.

Guardians of the Galaxy being on a Gamepass was this huge deal a few months ago, it's there on PS+ Extra now and hardly anyone talks about it.

I think people overvalue these service, including the new PS+, I paid to convert what was left of my PS+ Essential to Deluxe but over time it's going to get harder and harder for Sony to convince me because once I've played those games that happened to coincide with "games I want to play right now but just didn't happen to buy" Sony will need to start including new games like that every month but that combination hardly ever happens.

Last edited:
  • brain
24 Jun 2022
I think if Sony is smart they'll use these first few months to get a reputation for the service, now it's the time to convince people to give it a shot and convert to the higher tiers.

A lot of the value people see on Gamepass comes from it's reputation more than what is actually being delivered lately, specially since MS games day one on it were the big draw but MS shamelessly goes ridiculously long periods without any big release.

This is the big one for me; that was the selling hook to make it different from other gaming services, but so far if you've been on Xbox you haven't really seen this manifest outside of Halo Infinite, Gears 5, Psychonauts 2, Sea of Thieves (I think), Forza Motorsport 7, and Bleeding Edge. You'd probably think Forza Horizon 5, but that technically was available two days before going into GamePass, so it wasn't technically Day 1. Flight Sim and AoE4 were Day 1, but only for PC for a year if not more, before coming to Xbox (AoE4 is still MIA there). And keep in mind this is over a period of 5 years.

It's not like there have been many Day 1 3P releases (non-indie) to compensate. There's MLB The Show, and there was Outriders, but that's about it. Everything else has been smaller indie titles, but their best get probably the whole year will be Plague's Tale: Requiem which I think straddles the line between AA and AAA so for some it might be "close enough" to count as a AAA release Day 1.

Reactions: nominedomine

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
This is the big one for me; that was the selling hook to make it different from other gaming services, but so far if you've been on Xbox you haven't really seen this manifest outside of Halo Infinite, Gears 5, Psychonauts 2, Sea of Thieves (I think), Forza Motorsport 7, and Bleeding Edge. You'd probably think Forza Horizon 5, but that technically was available two days before going into GamePass, so it wasn't technically Day 1. Flight Sim and AoE4 were Day 1, but only for PC for a year if not more, before coming to Xbox (AoE4 is still MIA there). And keep in mind this is over a period of 5 years.

It's not like there have been many Day 1 3P releases (non-indie) to compensate. There's MLB The Show, and there was Outriders, but that's about it. Everything else has been smaller indie titles, but their best get probably the whole year will be Plague's Tale: Requiem which I think straddles the line between AA and AAA so for some it might be "close enough" to count as a AAA release Day 1.
Anyone that really cared about Psychonauts 2 probably got it when it was on Kickstarter, Bleeding Edge was a joke, Halo main draw the multiplayer was F2P (and still flopped), niche games like Flight Simulator appeal to a tiny fraction of people and for any GaaS that you'll play over a long period of time it would benefit you more to buy it instead of paying a subscription to play it every month.

These are the details that I think most fail to consider. Like with PS+ IGC, how many times over all these years did Sony actually include a game I actually wanted? Very few times, including many times where they included game I had just bought or a game I bought and did yet play and that just made me feel bad about my purchase.

I speak from my experience with both PS+ and Gamepass, usually my backlog is already a lot more tempting with games that I actually chose to buy. Getting a month or two of Gamepass every year is more than enough for me to play 90% of what I want that is in there and the value I get drops significantly after a few months of being subscribed. Certainly I'll never pay for Gamepass in advance based on promises.

They also creates that obligation to play something that is on the service so that you don't feel like you are wasting your money (something I don't like at all). These service work a lot better for people who go all the way and simply stop buying games, that way the odds of games that they actually want to play but haven't bought being included each month increases drastically. If you are ok with waiting it's a decent strategy.

I guess I also view Gamepass a little differently since I play on PC and wouldn't be paying Live Gold anyway so it's not like I can think of it as a conversion like I do with PS+ where I would actually be paying PS+ Essentials anyway just for the online. So the crappy practice of charging for online play actually makes PS+ seem like it has more value to me.

edit: to make my point, this month Gamepass subscribers seem to be really happy Yakuza yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza Kiwami 2, etc, are coming back to Gamepass, these games are literally being sold for $5 right now on PSN (as they have been multiple times over the years), how could you care about this games but not get them for $5? How could they care about them this much but not have played them when they were in gamepass last year?

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Everybody with a PS5 plays the Intergrade version… it is free upgrade from PS4 version.
That includes the free PS+ version since they fixed it.

The only thing missing is the DLC INTERMission.
That's what I meant, actually. The DLC.

24 Jun 2022
Anyone that really cared about Psychonauts 2 probably got it when it was on Kickstarter, Bleeding Edge was a joke, Halo main draw the multiplayer was F2P (and still flopped), niche games like Flight Simulator appeal to a tiny fraction of people and for any GaaS that you'll play over a long period of time it would benefit you more to buy it instead of paying a subscription to play it every month.

These are the details that I think most fail to consider. Like with PS+ IGC, how many times over all these years did Sony actually include a game I actually wanted? Very few times, including many times where they included game I had just bought or a game I bought and did yet play and that just made me feel bad about my purchase.

I speak from my experience with both PS+ and Gamepass, usually my backlog is already a lot more tempting with games that I actually chose to buy. Getting a month or two of Gamepass every year is more than enough for me to play 90% of what I want that is in there and the value I get drops significantly after a few months of being subscribed. Certainly I'll never pay for Gamepass in advance based on promises.

They also creates that obligation to play something that is on the service so that you don't feel like you are wasting your money (something I don't like at all). These service work a lot better for people who go all the way and simply stop buying games, that way the odds of games that they actually want to play but haven't bought being included each month increases drastically. If you are ok with waiting it's a decent strategy.

I guess I also view Gamepass a little differently since I play on PC and wouldn't be paying Live Gold anyway so it's not like I can think of it as a conversion like I do with PS+ where I would actually be paying PS+ Essentials anyway just for the online. So the crappy practice of charging for online play actually makes PS+ seem like it has more value to me.

In my case there's quite a few PS4 games I missed out on so while I plan to just buy stuff like Blade Runner, Ragnarok and Elden Ring, something like PS+ Extra or Premium would do good so I can play through some stuff like Detroit: Become Human, Until Dawn, SotC Remake etc. I actually didn't expect any PS5 1P games to be included as soon as they've put them there, I guess that is a nice bonus.

But as you say, for people who didn't miss out on these games, already played them or picked them up at some point before, you kind of have to look at these services in terms of what new content they are providing. I think Sony's taken a very different approach than Microsoft here, they're positioning PS+ as something of a great backlog at an affordable price, but it's clearly for older titles and with the classic systems, appealing to nostalgia. That other stuff is additive to the online, which a vast majority are going to need anyway so that's going to keep PS+ Essential as a priority for them.

MS's gone for a much different approach and I don't know how well it's going to pan out. I think we have a decent idea what the cap for the Netflix/HBO Max/Disney + services are, seems to be about 250 million. Spotify has 422 million. Those are mediums where consuming a lot of content per hour/day/week/month is MUCH easier to do than games let alone you can put lots of that stuff in the background, whereas with games you have to actively pay attention as you engage with them, they ask more out of the user in that way.

So for stuff like GamePass I don't think they have a potential market any larger than 80 - 100 million, and I think that could be a bit too optimistic. So in absolute best-case scenario MS would be getting $18 billion a year from subs if they all paid monthly a whole year for GPU. But as you just pointed out, that's not realistic at all, for many reasons, so it would be a lot less than that.

@Heisenberg007 and I ran some numbers months ago about GamePass on GAF when the Axios report came out, and plugged in some other revenue for other services and companies fitting the numbers in that report (even if that report was kinda bunk). We kind of came around $725 million - $750 million a year for GamePass off 25 million subs, based on that info, and that might've been slightly generous. I think given how young the game subscription model still is, if these services were pulling in huge numbers the leading ones would want to puff their chest a bit and let potential 3P partners know upfront how lucrative they can be, to draw in more of their big games to said services.

That's one of the reasons I think PS+ is going to surprise a lot of people, because Sony may not have reported PS Now fiscal numbers, but they regularly do for PS+, and this revamp is basically now PS+ and PS Now rolled into one. There's pretty good money there in PS+, and ultimately that's what publishers really care about, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sony can work out some bigger 3P deals into PS+ than Microsoft can for GamePass.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
so i guess moving forward we can expect sony to bring AAA games while wlefarepass gets lawn simulator, peppa pig, and solitaire. great.

• haha

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
In my case there's quite a few PS4 games I missed out on so while I plan to just buy stuff like Blade Runner, Ragnarok and Elden Ring, something like PS+ Extra or Premium would do good so I can play through some stuff like Detroit: Become Human, Until Dawn, SotC Remake etc. I actually didn't expect any PS5 1P games to be included as soon as they've put them there, I guess that is a nice bonus.

But as you say, for people who didn't miss out on these games, already played them or picked them up at some point before, you kind of have to look at these services in terms of what new content they are providing. I think Sony's taken a very different approach than Microsoft here, they're positioning PS+ as something of a great backlog at an affordable price, but it's clearly for older titles and with the classic systems, appealing to nostalgia. That other stuff is additive to the online, which a vast majority are going to need anyway so that's going to keep PS+ Essential as a priority for them.

MS's gone for a much different approach and I don't know how well it's going to pan out. I think we have a decent idea what the cap for the Netflix/HBO Max/Disney + services are, seems to be about 250 million. Spotify has 422 million. Those are mediums where consuming a lot of content per hour/day/week/month is MUCH easier to do than games let alone you can put lots of that stuff in the background, whereas with games you have to actively pay attention as you engage with them, they ask more out of the user in that way.

So for stuff like GamePass I don't think they have a potential market any larger than 80 - 100 million, and I think that could be a bit too optimistic. So in absolute best-case scenario MS would be getting $18 billion a year from subs if they all paid monthly a whole year for GPU. But as you just pointed out, that's not realistic at all, for many reasons, so it would be a lot less than that.

@Heisenberg007 and I ran some numbers months ago about GamePass on GAF when the Axios report came out, and plugged in some other revenue for other services and companies fitting the numbers in that report (even if that report was kinda bunk). We kind of came around $725 million - $750 million a year for GamePass off 25 million subs, based on that info, and that might've been slightly generous. I think given how young the game subscription model still is, if these services were pulling in huge numbers the leading ones would want to puff their chest a bit and let potential 3P partners know upfront how lucrative they can be, to draw in more of their big games to said services.

That's one of the reasons I think PS+ is going to surprise a lot of people, because Sony may not have reported PS Now fiscal numbers, but they regularly do for PS+, and this revamp is basically now PS+ and PS Now rolled into one. There's pretty good money there in PS+, and ultimately that's what publishers really care about, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sony can work out some bigger 3P deals into PS+ than Microsoft can for GamePass.
MS model is perfectly set up to be abused. Never pay it in advance, Starfield released and you want to play it? Subscribe for a month (or abuse the ever running trial).

Sony is being more conservative and not overcommitting, while at the same time taking their time to adapt to this new reality where single player AAA games maybe aren't the real money makers.

OP
OP
Papacheeks

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Yo Thicc you got to change your avatar, I'm use to seeing some.....things.

Also to the thread I hope they keep up with the quality of releases. I dont expect like every month to drop classic bangers, and games like Crash 4. But it would be nice if it was a down month for PS4/PS5 titles that they make up in classic releases. They have now PS1, PSP,VITA, PS2 to choose from. Give me a good upscaled Daxter, secret agent clank, Killzone liberation, things like that.

With trophy support and I'll be pretty happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.