Rumor - PS Plus Extra, Premium Games for July Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 Jun 2022
MS model is perfectly set up to be abused. Never pay it in advance, Starfield released and you want to play it? Subscribe for a month (or abuse the ever running trial).

Sony is being more conservative and not overcommitting, while at the same time taking their time to adapt to this new reality where single player AAA games maybe aren't the real money makers.

Yeah, this is why I'm thinking part of MS's revamping for GamePass, once 2023 hits, will probably include yearly offers. So many other people are speculating about a family plan, but they need to find a way to stabilize revenue flow and all the 3 months/$1 and free trial stuff or $1 conversions are not going to do it long-term. It's already been five years.

Their bigger problem tho is going to be finally phasing out Gold altogether. I still don't get why they didn't throw in GamePass as an additional tier on top of Gold, since they were already also enabling Gold on PC. I'm thinking the network infrastructure they did with Xbox Live was so specific to what they've done with GamePass that the effort in redoing all of that to integrate the two was deemed not worth it

Whereas with Sony, they likely had a smaller, simpler network infrastructure with PS Now which may've already had a lot in common with PS Plus's, so just integrating them was less of a hassle. It's a lot like how both companies have handled their SDK APIs this gen.

Yo Thicc you got to change your avatar, I'm use to seeing some.....things.

Also to the thread I hope they keep up with the quality of releases. I dont expect like every month to drop classic bangers, and games like Crash 4. But it would be nice if it was a down month for PS4/PS5 titles that they make up in classic releases. They have now PS1, PSP,VITA, PS2 to choose from. Give me a good upscaled Daxter, secret agent clank, Killzone liberation, things like that.

With trophy support and I'll be pretty happy.

I've been lazy getting around to an avatar but I'll have something by the weekend ;)

TBH for my use-case there's so much already in Plus that I'll probably never run out of stuff even if they never add anything else. And that's with stuff being split between new releases I either have to still finish (like HFW) or plan on getting when they come out. But one thing I really hope they do is bring English translations for Japan-only releases to the service.

There are great fan translator groups out there doing this on their own, I'm sure some kind of deal can be worked out with them and the IP owners for some of the older games. There are some games like Endonesia for example, craving for an actual English release, which would be neat. Maybe betas of released games that were significantly different to the retail versions, or playable builds of cancelled games, would be neat to see in there for the fans and for archival & historical preservation purposes.

Reactions: nominedomine

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I will ask this here because I am not sure.
I upgraded my (only 1 month left) ps+ sub to premium just for a month to check it out.
I still plan to buy physical games but this is a good way of checking games not available on discs or games from ps1,2,3.
Few impressions and quesitons:

-There is "game catalogue" and "classics"... and I am having problem understanding the reasoning here. classics are not only ps1,2,3 games. There are ps4 games there too. Not only streaming games. For example, BC game like resident evil directors cut is a downloadable classic. But FF7 original is a downloadable game from game catalogue... (btw, ps4 version of ff7 classic is not available on disc ? :( )
-Psn is painfully slow. I have 600mbit connection and a 150usd asus router in the same room. wifi 6 and all... and I get maybe 200mbits if I am lucky.
-I've note tested streaming yet because I am downloading stuff from psn and the streaming could not load when downloading
-It is really weird to discern which games are ps4/ps5 native games and which are BC ports.
-the list of games is very very impressive. Both downloadable and streaming. I will try a lot just to see how console versions of my pc classics look.
-They have my fav THE DARKNESS available!!! only for streaming but still. The game is not dead! I much prefer 360 version though :p
-The UI is bad and slow to navigate and search games.

Seems really good. Sadly the ui is bad, price is bad and streaming is streaming... I am having hard time playing and getting into games when I know, these will expire with my sub or will be taken off the list any day

Last edited:

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
I will ask this here because I am not sure.
I upgraded my (only 1 month left) ps+ sub to premium just for a month to check it out.
I still plan to buy physical games but this is a good way of checking games not available on discs or games from ps1,2,3.
Few impressions and quesitons:

-There is "game catalogue" and "classics"... and I am having problem understanding the reasoning here. classics are not only ps1,2,3 games. There are ps4 games there too. Not only streaming games. For example, BC game like resident evil directors cut is a downloadable classic. But FF7 original is a downloadable game from game catalogue... (btw, ps4 version of ff7 classic is not available on disc ? :( )
-Psn is painfully slow. I have 600mbit connection and a 150usd asus router in the same room. wifi 6 and all... and I get maybe 200mbits if I am lucky.
-I've note tested streaming yet because I am downloading stuff from psn and the streaming could not load when downloading
-It is really weird to discern which games are ps4/ps5 native games and which are BC ports.
-the list of games is very very impressive. Both downloadable and streaming. I will try a lot just to see how console versions of my pc classics look.
-They have my fav THE DARKNESS available!!! only for streaming but still. The game is not dead! I much prefer 360 version though :p
-The UI is bad and slow to navigate and search games.

Seems really good. Sadly the ui is bad, price is bad and streaming is streaming... I am having hard time playing and getting into games when I know, these will expire with my sub or will be taken off the list any day
The thing about some PS4 games going into the tiers above extra is that Sony seems to consider native remasters of PS3 games for PS4 games as PS3 games. It very confusing as of right now, you have to look for a game in multiple lists like you have Gravity Rush Remaster in on list and Gravity Rush 2 in another list with both being PS4 games.

You also have old PS4 games from Sony that were not included for some reason.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
The thing about some PS4 games going into the tiers above extra is that Sony seems to consider native remasters of PS3 games for PS4 games as PS3 games. It very confusing as of right now, you have to look for a game in multiple lists like you have Gravity Rush Remaster in on list and Gravity Rush 2 in another list with both being PS4 games.
I don't think I understand their logic but it seems they do that.

anyway, oh god I tried streaming the darkness... it's a nightmare. The game ran like trash on ps3 and it still does so they are for sure using original ps3 hardware.
On top of that, the streaming is terrible. The delay is.... barely acceptable but the streaming compression of video and AUDIO is a nightmare. Music sounds like it's underwater, streaming looks worse than 360p yt video from 2007

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
MS model is perfectly set up to be abused. Never pay it in advance, Starfield released and you want to play it? Subscribe for a month (or abuse the ever running trial).

Sony is being more conservative and not overcommitting, while at the same time taking their time to adapt to this new reality where single player AAA games maybe aren't the real money makers.
Yep, pretty much. I have 2 coworkers who abuse the 1$ welfarepass sub trick, and they both say they haven't bought a game in over 2 years now. They'll just play whatever junk is in welfarepass. Doesn't matter if it's bejeweled, solitaire, or peppa pig, they don't like games enough to pay for them, and games are just seen as a time waster. The less they spend, the better.

this is not the enthusiasts mindset.

FXLU43-EWQAEx-Uhl.png

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
I don't think I understand their logic but it seems they do that.

anyway, oh god I tried streaming the darkness... it's a nightmare. The game ran like trash on ps3 and it still does so they are for sure using original ps3 hardware.
On top of that, the streaming is terrible. The delay is.... barely acceptable but the streaming compression of video and AUDIO is a nightmare. Music sounds like it's underwater, streaming looks worse than 360p yt video from 2007
Streaming is not available here in Brazil, but it seems Sony will expand the service next year. My question is how are they going to do it? Are they really still investing in servers with PS3 hardware in 2022? Sounds absolutely crazy to me.

It seems like a crazy amount of effort just to avoid coming up with a decent solution like a native emulator on PS5.

My only experience with streaming is xCloud, it sort of works but feels like playing a youtube video, I only see myself using it in very particular cases like Flight Simulator because the games runs like shit on my PC and is massive to install. Over the cloud the graphics lose a lot of the impact they apparently should have, the game, even running on the Series X looks nothing like the pictures I see on forums.

Yep, pretty much. I have 2 coworkers who abuse the 1$ welfarepass sub trick, and they both say they haven't bought a game in over 2 years now. They'll just play whatever junk is in welfarepass. Doesn't matter if it's bejeweled, solitaire, or peppa pig, they don't like games enough to pay for them, and games are just seen as a time waster. The less they spend, the better.

this is not the enthusiasts mindset.

FXLU43-EWQAEx-Uhl.png
I don't rely on gamepass to play but I abuse the trial all the time (it takes 1 min to set up a new email and you don't need to lie or anything you can use the same name, credit card and phone every time, MS literally doesn't care to check anything and I don't care about tracking achievements or anything like that). Just by having a few accounts already by the time I feel like trying it again one of them is likely to be eligible for either PC Gamepass or Ultimate trial again.

To be honest over all these years I mostly just tried some games I wouldn't have bought anyway, just to end up dropping them rather quickly (Halo, Forza Horizon, Gears, Sea of Thieves) but I also happen to try some games that maybe I would've bought but because I tried I realized they were not for me (like Humankind). Flight Simulator is probably the one I enjoyed the most but I don't have it in me to spend too much time in it, I just learned the very basic to play around a little bit and would've never actually pay to play it. I got it again a few months ago to try Guardians of the Galaxy and Outer Wilds but now both were included on PS+ so I'm just playing them on PlayStation instead.

That is also one of the reasons why I think Sony demo idea is really smart, from my own experience and from what I see a lot of people use Gamepass to mostly try games. If I try something and I end up liking it's natural to just buy it to continue playing.

Some other effects services like Gamepass/PS+ have on me is that I have a hard time paying more than $5 or $10 for a game that is or was on it as I feel I'm paying too much for something I could've played for a lot less. It's the same thing that happened when indies became so cheap and they started giving them away, I simply stopped buying them long ago (sincy contrary to AAA I have a hard time figuring out the indie games that I'm actually going to like from the ones that are just overhyped). I still got to play Cuphead, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Into the Breach, etc. Indies are also not helped by the fact that I don't value digital games that much compared to how much I value owning the discs, the game I buy are always on disc and I've never even seen these indie being sold on discs here (outside of Inside and Limbo, that I actually bought).

On the other end of the spectrum is Nintendo, you know they are never going to give you anything for free and their games hardly drop in price, so you just got to make a call if you want to play the game or not and buy it, pretty simple. With Sony games the decision used to be, is it a day one game or should I wait for the inevitable sale? Now you also get the option to wait for it to be added on PS+.

Last edited:

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
One more thing I've noticed about downloadable CLASSIC games from extra tier...
they are not always using backwards compatibility.
Red Faction does not have the rewind and save menu. So it's not emualted.
But Resident Evil directors cut is emulated. It has the rewind menu.
Maybe I just missed these games coming out as quiet "remasters" only on psn on ps4 few years ago ?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
One more thing I've noticed about downloadable CLASSIC games from extra tier...
they are not always using backwards compatibility.
Red Faction does not have the rewind and save menu. So it's not emualted.
But Resident Evil directors cut is emulated. It has the rewind menu.
Maybe I just missed these games coming out as quiet "remasters" only on psn on ps4 few years ago ?
The rewind and save menu is only for the PS1 and PSP emulated (non remastered) games.
I think Red Faction was a PS2 game.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: rofif and Cragarmi
Status
Not open for further replies.