Rumor: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is the next PC port being made by Nixxes

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
nixxes-pode-ser-o-estudio-responsavel-pela-versao-pc-de-ratchet-e-clank-rift-apart-087042.jpg

According to new information found in a studio job posting, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart could be Sony's next title on the way to PC:

A recent Nixxes job offer for a UI / UX engineer states "Experience in using Coherent middleware".

Source: https://www.nixxes.com/job/ux-ui-engineer/

The mentioned middleware is a game UI made by Coherent Labs, one of their featured (PS exclusive) games using it is Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

Source: https://coherent-labs.com/powered-by-coherent-labs/

It's made by Insomniac Games and Nixxes already ported their Spider Man games, so I thought it might be logical.

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
Absolutely pointless, a complete waste of resources.

I really have no idea what these executives are at.... how detached from gaming are they, that they don't understand this will flop on PC?
As long as they make money off of it they don't care

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: John Elden Ring

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
The real questions is how many ports they have in the works? GOT, DSR and TLOU2 are the only ones i see happening . HFW is still going to take a while before that gets ported. Idk if they will port gt7 that's a special case. GOWR is years away from being ported. Bloodborne nah lol. Shadow of Colossus (Do they still even care about this ip anymore?).

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
As long as they make money off of it they don't care

They will keep releasing exclusives on PC as long as it brings them money.
That is the issue... most titles are not paying the bill.

They estimated a $300m net sales at the FY ending in March 31, 2023.
And right now with the titles releases I can't see they crossing $200m and that with Destiny 2 Expansion probably accouting for over $100m of these.

Sony will probably explain and show new actions about PC games in the fiscal year end.
But outside big titles (GoW, TLOU, etc) the strategy is not being promissing.

Firefly

25 Jul 2022

And right now with the titles releases I can't see they crossing $200m and that with Destiny 2 Expansion probably accouting for over $100m of these.

Sony will probably explain and show new actions about PC games in the fiscal year end.
They either realize the strategy is failing but have these ports deep into development so they are going to continue and finish releasing them. Or they are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

imo the true test will be the live service but we have no idea what the line up looks like since it seems Sony forgot they can make game announcements.

Reactions: ethomaz

EN250

17 Feb 2023
PCMR will be going full "we mature yo, we ain't playing ur sh*tty kiddie game, unless it's on a sale for cheap in a few years" -> next spin when the game does 6k on steam like Returnal, if it ever reaches that :rolleyes:

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 417
24 Jun 2022
They will keep releasing exclusives on PC as long as it brings them money.

That's kind of the question though...haven't the recent games been performing less and less?

Honestly the PC porting strategy always seemed like it was, IMO, a temporary thing due to the console shortages. When they couldn't produce enough PS5s to meet demand, the PC ports of what were either older releases or cross-gen games anyway made sense. And I think it still makes sense for the live-service titles, or at least most of them (TLOU2 Factions, MLB The Show if that hasn't gone PC yet...actually Sony would be smart to make a MLB Manager-kind of game for PC in that case; the Football Manager games do really well on that platform).

I don't think the strategy makes sense for the marquee releases that define the brand and drive prestige and engagement with PlayStation. Sony says they want to be the Apple of gaming, right? Do you see Apple bringing their Apple Arcade games to Google Play, or even consoles like the Switch (which could theoretically run them)? No, because Apple Arcade is built on a subscription model that brings Apple a crap-ton of money, they don't need to release those games on a console that can jeopardize their current model even if it's "effectively" free money releasing the games on that console.

Do you see Apple bringing their Apple TV shows to Netflix or releasing the shows to Blu-Ray? Actually they do, but they have a very clear cadence with it. For All Mankind Season 1 went to Blu-Ray November last year, but the show's first season premiered on Apple TV November 2019. Three years later, for just the first season to a physical format in a market where Apple isn't paying a platform holder 30% of all sales.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, and I've said it a few times in the past already but, Sony should probably take a different approach with the porting of the marquee single-player games to PC. I think they looked at some PC data that could've turned out to be fluffed numbers. One of the benefits of how their games perform on console is that they've built up a culture of those games tied to the console and its brand for decades. It's also a benefit of vertical integration; Nintendo sees the same thing with their games on their consoles and I actually bet if they started doing ports to PC, it would do really well at first but there would be a notable drop-off once gamers on that platform got used to them doing it, like what we're seeing with Sony's ports (and saw with Microsoft's shortly after they started bringing things to PC).

If Sony are all-in with console, and they are, then I don't see why they need to bring any non live-service games to PC any sooner than a few years. Like, save a port of Spiderman 2 to PC until you have Spiderman 3 almost ready for PS5/PS6. Why not wait until you've got a new R&C for console before bringing Rift Apart to PC? You can use the PC ports to throw in some bonus content, and act as a tease for the new installment, so just treat the PC versions as some Ultimate editions (but let console owners get what content can run on the console for their console version, too). You still get some sales and also set a cadence for releases, but nothing that runs the risk of diminishing the console's priority in the brand.

That was a mistake I think Microsoft made when they did Day 1 PC for all of their 1P titles; they already had PC-exclusive franchises at the time like Age of Empires and Flight Sim; they could've limited PC expansion to offshoots like Halo Wars and Gears Tactics, and maybe the Forza games, but kept stuff like Halo and Gears still Xbox-centric. Then again, Microsoft doesn't necessarily care that much about Xbox revenue and profits, and they definitely don't depend on them. Sony relies SIGNIFICANTLY more on PlayStation revenue & profits than MS does Xbox, and PlayStation is a console-based brand. Consoles aren't going away for a long time; they can plan out for
a future where the brand is software/services-based rather than driven by console hardware in the background but no reason to chance changes today that can negatively impact what the brand is in the present.

Yeah, I think they will probably reevaluate the PC strategy going forward by FY end, too. It still makes obvious sense to have most of the live-service games come to PC, at least some of those being Day 1 (if not most), but for games outside of that type? I don't see the point to keep prioritizing the PC ports the way they currently do in those cases.

Easiest adjustment would just be to wait until those games have new installments coming to console within like a year's time, then port the older installment to PC with some new content and features that console owners can buy separately as content for their base game. So say we aren't getting Ghosts of Tsushima 2 until 2025, then there's no need to bring the first game to PC until sometime late 2024 at earliest. If GOT2 isn't until 2026, then PC port the first game late 2025.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
PCstation.
If this is true, PC will now have just as many PS5 exclusives as PS5….
Returnal, TLOU1 Remake and now Ratchet and Clank.

Playstation instead of investing in these studios to make PC ports, which get little sales, respect and make your console less special,
( Yes Playstation fans for decades have bought your consoles to play your games ) How about investing into more PS5 exclusives with more studios, more projects and expanding your studios more To make more PS5 games…. These same studios could probably speed up PS5 games coming out.

We, the PS fans don’t care about these games on PC. Im sure a small minority of PC gamers care, but as a fan, who cares what they want?

Most PC fans hate PS games and just want to say we have all the games lol. They won’t actually buy these.

FIREK2029

24 Jun 2022
Such a waste of time and resources.

I'd rather see them use their talent and resources to revive old PS games than this.

I love Ratchet and Clank and while a part of me is curious to see how it runs on my 4090 PC, this is a complete waste of time.

It's not gonna sell well on PC at all judging from the way past PS ports to PC outside of GOW have sold.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't think Nixxes are porting this, only 4 Steam users would be able to run it at a decent framerate. I think it would make sense to put Nixxes to port TLOUP1, TLOU2, Bloodborne, GoT, Dreams or the Uncharted or GoW trilogies before moving to any PS5 exclusive.

Reactions: Deleted member 417