Rumor: RTX 50 series flagship model will have 24 GB GDDR7 with 28 Gbps speed and 512-bit interface

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Probably newer game like gta6 for the people who wants the 4k 120 fps and max setting graphics
The thing that sticks out to me is how this has all evolved over the years. Obviously we had games like Crysis back in the day that were a big deal, and could only happen on PCs with their most powerful cards. PC gaming used to feel much more unique, and actually had their own high profile exclusives.

Now the draw seems to be running the same games as consoles at 4k and high frame rates. Yeah that's cool and all, but you can still generally play the games with a great experience on way cheaper consoles. This is basically why I think PC gaming has kind of lost its identity, and also it's allure (for me at least). I would much rather have a cheap high quality box that doesn't have to run windows, works with the press of a button, and is just a much nicer overall experience.

It seems like a lot of the higher end buyers are buying largely because they like paper specs. The nature of the games they are playing isn't really going to change at all. And the cards have also gotten much bigger, hotter, and more expensive. It just all feels kind of off the rails, driven by Nvidia's need to have a more powerful product to sell to people willing to pay.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I might be getting one, my 3080 is already outdated.
Ngl if the rumors of no competitive 8xxx tier AMD cards for rdna4 is true, I'd be tempted. Depending on pricing and if nvidia learned their lesson or not. They probably didn't but I'm hoping the AI bubble bursts and they are forced to try to get gamers to buy their higher end cards again

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Ngl if the rumors of no competitive 8xxx tier AMD cards for rdna4 is true, I'd be tempted. Depending on pricing and if nvidia learned their lesson or not. They probably didn't but I'm hoping the AI bubble bursts and they are forced to try to get gamers to buy their higher end cards again
With gpus AMD is always 10 steps behind...all they can offer is price to performance, but I don't really care about that anymore.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
With gpus AMD is always 10 steps behind...all they can offer is price to performance, but I don't really care about that anymore.
They're not really 10 steps behind though. They're 1 step behind. The 7000 series has raytracing on the level of ampere. FSR3 and FSR2 are like a year and a half behind DLSS. In the grand scheme of things that's not that much, I have a 6800XT and I'm still happy with the performance in 1440p. If I wanted that performance on nvidia I'd have to pay 50% more. Maybe you're okay with having terrible $/perf but I'm not. Like if PS5 pro was $600 and 10% better than base PS5 you better believe I'll tell Sony to gfy

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
They're not really 10 steps behind though. They're 1 step behind. The 7000 series has raytracing on the level of ampere.
That is 10 steps behind....I just said my 3080 is outdated, and you're telling me the 7000 series is on a similar level with RT? 😂😂 Add in benefits of DLSS3 and this is why I want nothing to do with AMD! At least they make good CPUs and FSR is for everyone 😊

Maybe you're okay with having terrible $/perf but I'm not. Like if PS5 pro was $600 and 10% better than base PS5 you better believe I'll tell Sony to gfy
The 4090 and 4080 are the best price/performance gpu's on the market. AMD has to exclude raytracing just to be eligible for that conversation 😂 which is fine for some, but not me, I game on PC to get the best quality possible.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That is 10 steps behind....I just said my 3080 is outdated, and you're telling me the 7000 series is on a similar level with RT? 😂😂 Add in benefits of DLSS3 and this is why I want nothing to do with AMD! At least they make good CPUs and FSR is for everyone 😊

The 4090 and 4080 are the best price/performance gpu's on the market. AMD has to exclude raytracing just to be eligible for that conversation 😂 which is fine for some, but not me, I game on PC to get the best quality possible.
FSR3 is pretty much just as good(bad) as DLSS3 lol. RT is pathetic right now. Also, that's just not true.

Cost_Newegg_4K.png

Keep in mind this is from a while back, and the 4090 is $400-800 more than MSRP right now, and the 6800XT is like $480 if you can find one.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
FSR3 is pretty much just as good(bad) as DLSS3 lol. RT is pathetic right now. Also, that's just not true.

Cost_Newegg_4K.png

Keep in mind this is from a while back, and the 4090 is $400-800 more than MSRP right now, and the 6800XT is like $480 if you can find one.
This doesnt take raytracing into account!

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
lol i'm not paying an extra 50% for a gimmick that only looks good in like 3 games
thats fair...for me its go big or go home for pc gaming. Thats what I thought the 3080 was when I got it...and I was scammed 😢 still a decent card though now.... but I can't wait to upgrade and revisit games like Alan Wake 2 at 4k and completely maxed settings.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
thats fair...for me its go big or go home for pc gaming. Thats what I thought the 3080 was when I got it...and I was scammed 😢 still a decent card though now.... but I can't wait to upgrade and revisit games like Alan Wake 2 at 4k and completely maxed settings.
The problem for me is that pathtracing is where the real deal is, and cards just aren't strong enough for that yet. Even DLSS 3.5 ray reconstruction still has a lot of issues. I don't see the sea change towards pathtraced lighting in games - I think we're probably still 5+ years away from most AAA games having it supported, let alone the default option - which would be more like 10 years away. I'll get a top end card for it when the hardware is good enough to run it natively or with upscaling that isn't noisy af. And it's going to take a revolution in the way that pathtracing is implemented bc right now you need like an order of magnitude more computing power to get decent results because right now cyberpunk is only doing 1 ray per pixel on a 1080p base res... to get it to look good you need multiple rays per pixel with multiple bounces, otherwise you have a lot of noise even with upscaling.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
The 4090 was so over engineered I don't see a card like this even being viable for maybe like another year and a half. I game at 3440x1440 on an ultrawide setup and I still get hit by CPU bottlenecks.

GPU technology has stepped so far ahead of CPU development that a 5090 just seems ridiculous.

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
The 4090 was so over engineered I don't see a card like this even being viable for maybe like another year and a half. I game at 3440x1440 on an ultrawide setup and I still get hit by CPU bottlenecks.

GPU technology has stepped so far ahead of CPU development that a 5090 just seems ridiculous.
4K 240Hz displays are here, and a theoretical 5090 will presumably help more games hit that resolution/frame rate with more bells and whistles activated. Also, raytracing/pathtracing in games is just going to get more and more ambitious as time goes by, and this will require more horsepower to run.

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
I skipped the 4k series and been waiting patiently with my 3080Ti. I'd love it if the 5k series is a good version.

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
I skipped the 4k series and been waiting patiently with my 3080Ti. I'd love it if the 5k series is a good version.
All signs point to Nvidia staying the course with the 50 series. Super high end top *90 SKU at a $1699 Founder's Edition MSRP or even more this time around that will have an insanely huge leap, with every other SKU having a very small performance bump that isn't worth the price, because "Moore's law is dead". There will probably be some new AI type of feature that is locked to the 50 series like how DLSS3 frame generation got locked to the 40 series which Nvidia will try to hype to the heavens to give the 50 series cards more perceived value.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
All signs point to Nvidia staying the course with the 50 series. Super high end top *90 SKU at a $1699 Founder's Edition MSRP or even more this time around that will have an insanely huge leap, with every other SKU having a very small performance bump that isn't worth the price, because "Moore's law is dead". There will probably be some new AI type of feature that is locked to the 50 series like how DLSS3 frame generation got locked to the 40 series which Nvidia will try to hype to the heavens to give the 50 series cards more perceived value.
5090 is gonna be $2000 minimum fam

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
wouldn't shock me lol

I do see them trying a modest MSRP bump just to see what happens. I mean the Strix 4090s already are $2K.
if the 5080 is 4090+ performance at $1000 or less i'll probably get one. If not then I'll wait and see what the competition's got. Although rumors are no high end rdna4 cards which would be a bummer. I don't like upgrading for <double perf upgrade