Rumor: Tencent working on mobile version of 'Elden Ring'

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

China's Tencent Holdings has been working to adapt acclaimed action role-playing console game "Elden Ring" into a mobile version, three people familiar with the matter said, as it searches for a new hit to refresh its ageing stock of games.
The world's largest gaming company by revenue acquired the licensing rights for the game by FromSoftware in 2022 and set up a team of a few dozen people to work on a prototype, the same year it bought a 16% stake in the Japanese game maker, the people said. But progress has been slow, they added.

Tencent did not disclose its plans to develop a mobile version of the game at the time. "Elden Ring" was co-developed by "Game of Thrones" author George R. R. Martin and veteran game designer Hidetaka Miyazaki and is an action game where one battles mythical monsters in a fantasy world.
The game, released in 2022 for $60, sold about 20 million copies in its first year, making it the world's second best-selling game for the year. Its fans include billionaire Elon Musk.

While "Elden Ring" was designed as a premium game with a set price tag, Tencent wants to make it a free-to-play game with in-app purchases, similar to the hit game "Genshin Impact" developed by its Chinese rival miHoYo, the people said.
But the design of "Elden Ring", which focuses on a complete experience after a one-time purchase, is at odds with Tencent's planned model.

Tencent and FromSoftware did not respond to requests for comment. The sources declined to be named as they were not permitted to speak to media.

Reactions: John Elden Ring

MiyazakiLovesKojima

Shocked Breaking Bad GIF

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Elden Ring is wholly way more complex. It's open world and doesn't lend itself to be easy on performance.
That's irrelevant. It will look like a ps2 game for to reach a stable performance and still won't be stable. Its not hard to make it. Is it worth it to do it is the question. No one is playing RE4 remake on a phone.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That's irrelevant. It will look like a ps2 game for to reach a stable performance and still won't be stable. Its not hard to make it. Is it worth it to do it is the question. No one is playing RE4 remake on a phone.
It's relevant to me and my comment "I want to see how this turns out". You can basically put any game anywhere by dropping perf, res, cutting corners that goes without saying. Again whether or not it can be ported to a console isn't my point but how it will look and perform is.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

As opposed to it looking like a PS3 game, so not much will change there 😂

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
It's relevant to me and my comment "I want to see how this turns out". You can basically put any game anywhere by dropping perf, res, cutting corners that goes without saying. Again whether or not it can be ported to a console isn't my point but how it will look and perform is.
It will look like shit and play ok with fps drops. We don't even have to look at phone games. MK1 on switch is visual garbage but still stable 30 fps. Unlike fortnite and apex on the switch, barely stable 15fps.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It will look like shit and play ok with fps drops. We don't even have to look at phone games. MK1 on switch is visual garbage but still stable 30 fps. Unlike fortnite and apex on the switch, barely stable 15fps.
True indeed, it's expected. I am liking and watching the evolution of mobile gaming and the stronger chips tht exponentially are released.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Tencent is very well positioned to have a captive audience on Huawei devices. No brainer to double down on mobile, whether for this venture or any other.

Luxury lane.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Tencent is very well positioned to have a captive audience on Huawei devices. No brainer to double down on mobile, whether for this venture or any other.

Luxury lane.
Shit I'd try to replay it on my Galaxy if it is decent.