ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I did a review in the specs...

It looks at PS4 Pro level device with better CPU aimed to lower native resolution than 1080p.
With DLSS that lower native resolution than 1080p won't even be a thing at all because it will delivery resolution quality superior to native 1080p.

And to be fair depending of the Screen resolution (supposing the screen is lower than 1080p) it won't even need DLSS... DLSS will be more useful docked on TVs.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Will the Switch 2 GPU have enough compute units to spare for DLSS? That doesn't sound like something Nintendo would allow.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Will the Switch 2 GPU have enough compute units to spare for DLSS? That doesn't sound like something Nintendo would allow.
Are they not using and already made nVidia GPU? Nintendo doesn't have a word here.
It is called T239 that is based in the T234.

I think it lacks frame generation.

720p DLSS to 1080p or 1440p is pretty doable.
720p DLSS to 4k is already something that will eat too much render time (like 18ms) that kills 60fps and eat half of 30fps render time.

Lower resolution (let's say 540p) DLSS to 1080p is very doable too.

Just to understand better here...

720p DLSS to 1080p is Quality Mode.
720p DLSS to 1440p is Performance Mode.
720p DLSS to 4k is Ultra Performance Mode.
540p DLSS to 1080p is Performance Mode.

For a handheld using Balance or Performance mode is good... they don't need to aim to DLSS Quality.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
On the purple forum they say it's slightly above PS4 on handheld mode without DLSS.
And between PS4 pro and series S when docked.

If that's the case then it's a pretty powerful handheld as of today. All the way through 2033... I am not so sure.
Pure hopium from them.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Are they not using an already-made nVidia GPU? Nintendo doesn't have a word here.

I know what it is. Codenames and all. I’m not saying that the GPU is not made by Nvidia; I’m wondering how much Nintendo crippled it for the sake of battery life and if, in that state, it is even possible to spare cycles for DLSS.

We’ll find out soon enough.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I know what it is. Codenames and all. I’m not saying that the GPU is not made by Nvidia; I’m wondering how much Nintendo crippled it for the sake of battery life and if, in that state, it is even possible to spare cycles for DLSS.

I'm a bit confuse here...

DLSS should save battery life... rendering 720p with DLSS to 1080p uses less resource and battery life than native 1080p.
They are saving battery life not crippling DLSS.

Same for spare cycles for DLSS... I mean DLSS uses less cycles than native resolutions.
That is the whole ideia behind it.
4k via DLSS saves between 30-70% resources (depends of the DLSS mode used) compared with native 4k.
DLSS allow you to have more cycles to use in whatever Nintendo wants.

Unless you are doing something crazy like 720p DLSS to 4k (~18ms render time)... DLSS sets at using 2-4ms of the render time (you have 16ms to use in 60fps games and 33ms in 30fps games).

Last edited:

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I'm a bit confuse here...

DLSS should save battery life... rendering 720p with DLSS to 1080p uses less resource and battery life than native 1080p.
They are saving battery life not crippling DLSS.

Same for spare cycles for DLSS... I mean DLSS uses less cycles than native resolutions.
That is the whole ideia behind it.
4k via DLSS saves between 30-70% resources (depends of the DLSS mode used) compared with native 4k.
DLSS allow you to have more cycles to use in whatever Nintendo wants.

Ah, that makes sense.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

DLSS uses compute units and tensor units. They're separate units but use the same caches, registers and general bandwidth so it's not like they can just go all out on shader processors and tensors at the same time.

Regardless, for the target resolution that is probably 720p handheld and 1080p docked, the amount of tensor units should be more than sufficient.

What is crippled for battery life is clocks. That picture I posted shows what seems to be a slot for a 20W.h battery, so if Nintendo wants people to use this for 4 hours they can't get the SoC to pull more than ~3W average in handheld mode.

And if we're looking at a Samsung 8nm chip, that means the iGPU will be running in the range of 400-500MHz.

• Shake
Reactions: Entropi

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Won't be as big an issue considering it'll have some form of DLSS 3.x

It'll be around base PS4 level undocked (give or take; maybe some DLSS needed for certain types of titles), ~ PS4 Pro/Series S performance when docked & utilizing DLSS 3.x.

For some reason people really want to lie to themselves that this'll be completely DOA in performance before it even launches. Coping mechanism.
Yeah, it should be close to PS4 overall and little better if docked, but raw performance without dlss , it's slightly slower.

As usual, some developers will definitely do crazy things trying to run ray tracing and we will end up with some dumb 340p 10 fps 3rd party ports. But for Nintendo games, we will finally have a big generational leap in graphics and gameplay. 1st party will be very exciting and may attract me and other ponies.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

It'll be around base PS4 level undocked (give or take; maybe some DLSS needed for certain types of titles), ~ PS4 Pro/Series S performance when docked & utilizing DLSS 3.x.

For some reason people really want to lie to themselves that this'll be completely DOA in performance before it even launches. Coping mechanism.

I don't think anyone is saying it'll be DOA on performance. The performance actually looks like it'll be there to get most 3rd party games, albeit in rough shape.

The biggest problem is going to be price.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
That specs list points to them using two Micron LPDDR5X 7500MT/s 2*32bit in clamshell mode, but it's not certain.

If dual-channel LPDDR5X 7500MT/s means 2x32bit (60GB/s), we're looking at hardware that will be quite a bit slower than the original Steam Deck (88GB/s) in memory bandwidth, let alone the more recent chips on the ROG Ally X with 120GB/s.

It's nowhere near a PS4 if the memory only does 60GB/s, even if it does have more RAM. The base PS4 had 176GB/s memory bandwidth.
The xbone had 63GB\s for anyone wondering.

Obviously the tech has evolved, better upscaling and possibly frame generation (which is not as good as it sounds)...

So I think it will be in the ballpark of a PS4, overall... and I think I very well may be too optimistic.

Still, it would be much better than the current Switch.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Are they not using and already made nVidia GPU? Nintendo doesn't have a word here.

I think it lacks frame generation.

720p DLSS to 1080p or 1440p is pretty doable.
720p DLSS to 4k is already something that will eat too much render time (like 18ms) that kills 60fps and eat half of 30fps render time.

Lower resolution (let's say 540p) DLSS to 1080p is very doable too.

Just to understand better here...

720p DLSS to 1080p is Quality Mode.
720p DLSS to 1440p is Performance Mode.
720p DLSS to 4k is Ultra Performance Mode.
540p DLSS to 1080p is Performance Mode.

For a handheld using Balance or Performance mode is good... they don't need to aim to DLSS Quality.
I don't think it would be wise to DLSS their way to anything above 1080p with that kind of hardware... at some point the artefacts from scaling become worse than lowering the detail level to get a few more fake pixels.

So if you start from 720p.. going to 1080p is OK, but if you go too much lower it will show, so you better find other stuff to cut.

Reactions: ethomaz

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
On the purple forum they say it's slightly above PS4 on handheld mode without DLSS.
And between PS4 pro and series S when docked.

Bandwidth speed is toooo slow for that performance even it at 1080p??

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
If Switch 2 is basically an Xbox Series S with slightly more RAM, I'll take it!!

Give me backwards compatibility and Switch upgrades for their games because I have at least 5 games I want to play. If they were to bring back Virtual Console from the Wii generation, oh man, I will be so happy!!

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Famiboards is locked down to "members" or cuckslaves, as I like to call them. Was the leak confirmed for fake? I heard somewhere else that it was and wanted to verify.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Plus 32MB EDRAM providing it 100GB/s duplex (200GB/s effective).

ESRAM actually.
200GB/s wasn't effective. Combining a speed of DDR3 Ram and Esram? Really? Same as some Xbots said that XSX has over 900 GB/s. :/
Unbelievable what i'm reading here. Same Xbots crap in 2013, same crap in 2024.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
200GB/s wasn't effective.
100GB/s full duplex means you can send 100GB/s and receive 100GB/s at the same time, so the total combined bandwidth is 200GB/s.
GDDR only either sends or receives.

From anandtech:
The eSRAM is accessible in 8MB chunks, with a total of 204GB/s of bandwidth offered (102GB/s in each direction) to the memory.

Combining a speed of DDR3 Ram and Esram? Really?

The shock, the horror.

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/16202/RX6800_09.jpg

Same as some Xbots said that XSX has over 900 GB/s. :/
Unbelievable what i'm reading here. Same Xbots crap in 2013, same crap in 2024.

Lol WTF am I reading here? No one said anything about the Series X. The XBOne had to resort to embedded RAM to compensate for using DDR3 instead of GDDR5. It's a strategy that failed because Sony ended up managing to put 8GB GDDR5 in there and use a much wider GPU by not spending die area with ESRAM.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The xbone had 63GB\s for anyone wondering.
That is the reason 99% of the games were lower than 1080p in resolution… in fact most games where 720p compared to 1080p on PS4.

Switch Pro doesn’t need to go over 720p due DLSS..: it can even go lower like 540p and be fine with DLSS upscaling it to 720p/900p.

After all I don’t think the Swith Pro screen will be 1080p… most likely it will be around 720p.