Saber Interactive leaving Embracer in $500 mil deal to become private. |UP| Embracer confirms sale..

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Thqn used to make solid low budget games, what happened
Bad pay/working conditions meant lots of talent churn, they tried to play hardball a little too hard with successful non-owned devs (example: Techland, who made Dead Island 1 and then left the series due to bad proposals from them), 90s nostalgia being okay for remakes but not new titles (BfBB vs Cosmic Shake), their Euro-jank titles just not adopting modern quality/difficulty curve standards (compare Gothic 1 and 2 to Elex 1 and 2, no progress has been made.)

Edit: Also, lack of oversight. There was a lot of cooperation between the divisions, like Saber porting THQ dev stuff or THQ publishing Plaion-developed stuff. But it wasn't mandated from the top, there was no over-arching vision for what the games were supposed to be and the result is a lot of lowest common denominator stuff. What bright spots there are (Saber, Coffeestain, Asmodee) are because of their own drive, not any sort of push for quality or output. The most telling thing to me is that Asmodee (the world's leading modern board game company) was purchased for as much as the entire company ended up being worth a few year or two later. Investors have no interest in a company who's product is random generic stuff. Nobody is going to believe in all of the stuff. It just doesn't make sense to keep it all together.

Last edited:
  • sad
Reactions: anonpuffs

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
KOTOR should be given to a studio who knows what they are doing. Its a goat, it deserves much better.
Like bluepoint, Ex mass effect staff

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Sony didn’t back out? Was that just rumor? I was kinda hoping they were… this screams vaporware since day one.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Hopefully they did & got a refund from Disney for letting that studio make it lol
I think there is a contract in hands.
That is the only way I can see a Developer continuing the development of a 3rd-party IP after they shift hands.

When I said contract in hand is between Saber, Disney and Sony.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I think there is a contract in hands.
That is the only way I can see a Developer continuing the development of a 3rd-party IP after they shift hands.

When I said contract in hand is between Saber, Disney and Sony.
I dunno Sony would be stupid to sign a contract if they couldn't back out when it's a 3rd party if it was 1st party it would probably be releasing this year

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I dunno Sony would be stupid to sign a contract if they couldn't back out when it's a 3rd party if it was 1st party it would probably be releasing this year
To announce as exclusive they signed a contract…

Due some clauses Sony can indeed back up.
But as Saber will continue the development the contract is still active.