[Sabine Hossenfelder]I didn't believe AI was the future of coding. I was right.

OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
In rebuttal to her argument, AI is likely to be the future of many industries including coding. It's just that the current implementation of "AI" using large language models isn't actually AI.

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
She is wrong, most studios already are using AI to speed up coding.

As happens with drawing, AI doesn't do your job: it does some imperfect thing, that you later as a draft that you have to tweak or fix to solve imperfections or adapt to your preferences.

By doing that you code what you wanted way faster than if you had to code everything. Same goes with artists, CMs, localization, etc.

It speeds up stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
She is wrong, most studios already are using AI to speed up coding.

As happens with drawing, AI doesn't do your job: it does some imperfect thing, that you later as a draft that you have to tweak or fix to solve imperfections or adapt to your preferences.

By doing that you code what you wanted way faster than if you had to code everything. Same goes with artists, CMs, localization, etc.

It speeds up stuff.
Didn't watch the video/10

Reactions: Boswollox

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
AI is just fancy Excel.
Sure, you can use it to keep track of birthdays, but used by a pro, in the right way, it's an industry changing tool.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Didn't watch the video/10
True, I didn't watch the video.

I replied to the "I didn't believe AI was the future of coding. I was right" thread title and "More AI hype dies" text of the youtube thumbnail.

If they are clickbait lies is their fault, not mine.

Reactions: Zzero

All Might

Banned
10 Jul 2024

I replied to the "I didn't believe AI was the future of coding. I was right" thread title and "More AI hype dies" text of the youtube thumbnail.

Imagine trying to disagree with an argument you have not heard, then act like a know it all around the forum. 😂

• haha
Reactions: Albert

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024

Machine learing is NOT ai. It has been marketed as such, but still isnt.

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
AI is just fancy Excel.
Sure, you can use it to keep track of birthdays, but used by a pro, in the right way, it's an industry changing tool.
Even just keeping track of birthdays is a life changing feature.

Never again will I be subjected to the world shattering shame as a discord community wishes me a happy birthday, while I fall to my knees in a walgreens with the realization that I don't know a single other person's birthday.

• Heart
Reactions: Boswollox

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
Increases amount of code. Quality, not so much. As any actual coder would have warned you years ago.

And as models crawl the web and find more AI generated code, the quality stands to get worse.