SackBoy A Big Adventure: Patched PC, Steam Deck & PS5 Compared - NX Technical Review

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming

Sackboy has been on a long adventure since 2007, he kicked of the PS5 launch with a charming 3D adventure. Sumo Digital at the helm used Unreal Engine 4 to bring this vibrant world to PS5 & PS4, with a PC release including the mighty Steam Deck landing late last year. It had a few loose seams from the port, but after a few patches to the sack, complete with enhanced Ray tracing and 120fps. Does this new, improved version resolve all the DX12 shader stutter? What does it take to beat the PS5 settings and performance? And is the Steam Deck the new Vita? Click on to enjoy a sack full 'o'fun.

Chapters
0:00 Introduction
1:00 What's in the sack?
2:14 Platforms tested and porting challenges
3:21 Steam Deck review and comparison
5:42 PC vs PS5 Settings & Performance inclduing Ray Tracing, DLSS
9:27 PS5 vs RTX2070 Performance Comparison & RTX2070 Review
12:20 AMD RX6800 review and comparison
15:06 DX12 Stutter patched & other hiccups
18:30 Final Verdict

Reactions: AniWeeb and Sircaw

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
looks worse on PC, sold nothing, and was completely forgotten and a waste of time. And no, the Steam Deck is not the new vita, the things about 10lbs and you need duffel bag to carry it around.

2 hrs battery life on intensive games, too. Is valve joking with this thing?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar and Bryank75

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
2 hrs battery life on intensive games, too. Is valve joking with this thing?
That is SteamDesk for you.
That is know since release... and 2 hours is not the worst case scenario.

BTW it is one of the reasons the industry didn't have any tech in the market for a Switch Pro yet... a portable device should be less than 10W power draw in portable mode.

Reactions: Bryank75

Maxemole

Clickin.io
8 Jan 2023
Chicago, IL
Sackboy was a pretty fun platformer, actually. Really creative and inspired, challenging, lots of fun collectibles. I enjoyed it a fair amount more than Mario 3D World which it was clearly inspired by.

Sad it doesn't seem to be doing well.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab and Bryank75

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Steamdeck vs. PS5 face-off. Seen it all now.

Would love to see Valve just release a proper console (sorta) to see these titles go head to head with PS5. I would love to be in the same room as Jim and Herman that day, next to Sony's CEO. Just the body language alone should be enough for a memoir. Go to a retail store, and see the retail box tag line - God of War plays Better on Steam! 120 fps powered by Nvidia. We're not that far off.

Boy would it serve those fucking idiots right.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Would love to see Valve just release a proper console (sorta) to see these titles go head to head with PS5. I would love to be in the same room as Jim and Herman that day, next to Sony's CEO. Just the body language alone should be enough for a memoir. Go to a retail store, and see the retail box tag line - God of War plays Better on Steam! 120 fps powered by Nvidia. We're not that far off.

>nvidia

Looks like you just signed up for a $3000 steamstation 5, except the portable gpu is called a -90 card but with the specs of a -70 class card

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I mean you can do that right now… you can build your PC and nobody from the names you said are even caring…

Banana

10 Jan 2023

You could just get a PC and install SteamOS on it...?

Of course does it matter? Look at this video: the PS5 outperforms the RX 6800, which is made by the same company, same architecture, same generation, but significantly more powerful on paper, yet the PS5 beats it.

Maybe these ports are not only to get extra revenue, but show what a value the PS5 is?

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Of course does it matter? Look at this video: the PS5 outperforms the RX 6800, which is made by the same company, same architecture, same generation, but significantly more powerful on paper, yet the PS5 beats it.

Maybe these ports are not only to get extra revenue, but show what a value the PS5 is?

A nice positive way to look at it.

Reactions: Banana

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Port it to Xbox? Where to draw the line? Is Valve not a competitor to Sony? Rhetorical question, it's btw...

And I'm not talking about a PC I can build myself (which btw doesn't make the biggest difference to the argument at hand). Obviously talking about a manufactured Valve console/PC on a retail shelf next to a PS5 and Series. In other words, the box has a Valve logo on it, like say, the Steamdeck, marketed in direct competition to such. But it's just a little rant of what is possible, not what is current. The only thing that keeps Valve from being seen in the public space as a direct competitor instead of an indirect competitor is how a computer box is manufactured and marketed - food for thought cause that's the argument you guys are making. As if there is some sort of invisible, unspoken red line Valve must know it must not cross otherwise it will "piss off" the two stooges Jim Ryan, Herman Hulst.... otherwise the "deal" is OFF! Newsflash, there is no fucking deal. Valve already crossed that "line" with Nintendo with the Steamdeck, except Nintendo wasn't a sucker as to sell their exclusives on Steam. When you identify your competitors clearly, you don't do stupid shit for a buck or two - props to Nintendo. If consumers are consuming the same type of burgers, with the same sort of taste, the same recipes (third party titles), the same ingredients at a different shop, that shop is your competitor. McDonalds vs. Burger King vs. Wendy's. It's as simple as that - that gamers make this shit convoluted to the ninth degree is crazy but hey.... when inundated with so much bullshit from the press and marketing depts. whose profession is to bullshit for a living your normal average joe can hardly tell a lie from a truth - all by design. Today you end up with a burger joint agreeing to sell their marquee burgers on the competitor's shop provided they get a royalty of every sale :ROFLMAO:. Ooops! wrong industry, it's premium gaming. Like walking to a Burger King and asking for a Big Mac - which somehow helps McDonalds be great. The mind job bro... Maybe those in the fast food industry and gazillion other industries are not as enlightened as Jim Ryan and Herman Hulst. Maybe that's the reason. Those in other industries haven't seen what these two see.... it's the genius inside these career climbers. "But but... the Burger King consumers are not the same as McDonalds! consumers" "Even tho they have extremely similar tastes and spending habits, and like to eat the Big Mac, they're not the same" "Not the same god dammit" :mad:

You could draw a list of competition to Sony's PlayStation in the gaming space, and it will be quite big. From the direct (Xbox), to the less indirect, say mobile phones (Apple/Google's Android). Contrary to whatever warped logic some folks at Sony right now may be employing in their drive for profit maximization - with the fanboys adopting whatever comes out of their mouth for lack of self critical thinking/tribal association - Valve is actually quite high in the competitors list and just a drop below Nintendo, which is below Xbox, so you could safely say #3 in line. MS warchest aside, I would actually even go as far to say that Valve is more dangerous than either Nintendo or Xbox - cause contrary to those two, Valve has a strong monopoly like hold on its consumer base. In other words it has been extremely resilient to competition on PC and is #1 in their realm - untouchable in their turf. Nintendo has its up and down swings, and Sony was able to carve out a good share of the handheld market with the PSP/Vita when it tried... while Xbox bleeds and needs to be constantly propped up to compete with Sony. By comparison Valve is super clean in its finances, operation and with a firm hold of its base. It's not necessarily something that's debatable at this point imo, it has just become a who gives a shit issue after Sony's long break with precedent following Phil Spencer footsteps in the PC push (which actually benefits MS greatly as the owner of Windows/pushing Gamepass - but not Sony). In the long strategic war, Sony blinked at the height of success.

In a post truth society, it's all about narratives, you believe whatever the fuck you want to believe I guess. But if folks only understand the emotional punches I will posit this: has Valve announced that it will port/launch Half-Life VR on PSVR2 (the best VR headset on the market spec wise) for launch window? We all know they refused to do it on PSVR 1 - with fanboys making the case for Valve, free of charge PR, that it was due to specs. It's a marquee VR title that would benefit greatly from expanding to new audiences - so, if we follow the bullshit correctly, not only will gamers benefit, but Valve will make sweet money. We all win right? Right? "When we all play, we all win™" "Kumbaya". After all, Sony has been extremely generous propping up Steam's reputation as the go-to Storefront on PC with Sony exclusives. Not only that Sony is even helping Valve compete with Nintendo. Maybe if that's what gets your head going... you should look at that. Not only does Steam has a monopoly like hold on premium PC gaming software distribution, it also has a VR push, and even a handheld push. Geniuses at Sony are in command so.. and hey the money is good too - best ever! PS5's fly off the shelves, record revenues, from strength to strength™. The "exclusives**" are great too....it's all great baby!... there is nothing to worry about! Fucking doomers I swear!.... in other words, what the enlightened decree is the "truth" - proof in the pudding bud! It's just Xbox! Xbox is the enemy! Not that the whole basis of the argument rests solely on a decision by Valve to reciprocate goodwill by releasing a piece of software on PSVR2, as that could happen overnight ("throw a bone will ya!") but it's just an illustration for the willfully naive. Props to Valve for creating this perception of an inoffensive industry player when surrounded by bigger cats - Sun Tzusian like. Its gotten them far. Snake hiss..🐍

This business has no place for suckers and its of my opinion you have two big suckers at the highest positions at SIE. Time will tell of course, the damage is likely to materialize long after they pass the torch but it's they who planted the seed. You usually want to spot the cancer cells early to provide corrective care as soon as possible not when it's beyond saving. This is just the beginning. Anyway the more questions you ask, the better. Down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puff

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

More powerful on paper for the GPU itself, not taking into consideration the better I/O system of the PS5 that allows to make a better usage of the GPU resources to reach closer to its full potential than a PC I/O system. And this is not taking into consideration possible OS/background apps in the background that may add a bigger overhead on PC.

Meaning, same game implementation and same GPU specs should perform better on PS5. So to reach the same performance on PC than in a PS5 it should be needed a GPU with higher HW specs than the one inside of PS5.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
They needed to port it to Switch, not pc.

Not unless Nintendo throws something Sony's way. Sackboy would probably fit in well along Nintendo's audience but, Bayonetta or Metroid Dread would find a nice home among the PS crowd (and run with much better framerate & resolution to boot).

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Not unless Nintendo throws something Sony's way. Sackboy would probably fit in well along Nintendo's audience but, Bayonetta or Metroid Dread would find a nice home among the PS crowd (and run with much better framerate & resolution to boot).
Octopath Traveler. to play second game without first, it is stupid.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty