Sackboy - A Big Adventure PC - Oct. 27th Steam, Pre-orders live

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
But I thought no optimization was needed and that the PC could run everything at 1 million FPS. I don't understand...

TLDR - Poorly optimized mess. Good job Sony and Sumo 👏

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
Poorly optimized, full priced, etc... I thought Sony devs were better than that, what's been with all the shit ports recently?! We aren't spending our money on shitty ports, in case they haven't gotten the message yet??
The original console versions run petfectly fine... 🤷‍♂️

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Wait, wasn't it easy to optimize because consoles and PCs are x86? Should have been a breeze. I don't even get why people complain that devs don't know how to work on PC, since their tools are all on PC and they develop on PCs.

D

Deleted member 13

Wait, wasn't it easy to optimize because consoles and PCs are x86? Should have been a breeze. I don't even get why people complain that devs don't know how to work on PC, since their tools are all on PC and they develop on PCs.
From my contact that worked at ND he told me that they have all their development on the PC using Microsoft Visual Studio as their development IDE. They have a pipeline where they build/compile the code and run it through their PS dev kit. If other companies follow this paradigm, the porting might be trivial depending on how they developed their graphics engine (which was based on a single SKU) or not. If it's not, there is some good amount of code on the backend to get it running well on the PC. The good news is that once the pipeline is in place for the PC, cross development with good optimization should be relatively easy going forward.

Reactions: Deleted member 51
OP
OP
IntentionalPun

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
From my contact that worked at ND he told me that they have all their development on the PC using Microsoft Visual Studio as their development IDE. They have a pipeline where they build/compile the code and run it through their PS dev kit. If other companies follow this paradigm, the porting might be trivial depending on how they developed their graphics engine (which was based on a single SKU) or not. If it's not, there is some good amount of code on the backend to get it running well on the PC. The good news is that once the pipeline is in place for the PC, cross development with good optimization should be relatively easy going forward.
Sounds like how Ubisoft has their dev pipeline setup to essentially generate both a Vulkan build and a DirextX build.

In the end Graphics APIs are all doing the same shit, have very similar interfaces that require the same or similar enough data, to do X,Y or Z. Similar to how if you are setup to be DLSS compliant you are setup to be compliant with AMD's solution as well, as they both expect the same data.

D

Deleted member 13

Sounds like how Ubisoft has their dev pipeline setup to essentially generate both a Vulkan build and a DirextX build.

In the end Graphics APIs are all doing the same shit, have very similar interfaces that require the same or similar enough data, to do X,Y or Z. Similar to how if you are setup to be DLSS compliant you are setup to be compliant with AMD's solution as well, as they both expect the same data.
Yup. End of the day, there is GPU operations that have to be done in 3D grids of data.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 51
D

Deleted member 51

In transition to PC, they dropped the ball severely, especially after you constantly hear how Sony has the best devs in the world, bar none. This seems to be far from the truth in the quality of almost all of their recent ports.

Hopefully that transition smoothes out really quick, as there's so much performance left on the table, with these recent ports. It's almost like it's a money grab, until the ps5 games get ported over.

Reactions: Deleted member 13

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Poorly optimized, full priced, etc... I thought Sony devs were better than that, what's been with all the shit ports recently?! We aren't spending our money on shitty ports, in case they haven't gotten the message yet??
This game wasn't developed internaly within Sony. And it is running on UE4

Reactions: Old Gamer
D

Deleted member 13

This game wasn't developed internaly within Sony. And it is running on UE4
we can't give devs a pass just because their graphics engine is multiplat. They can botch up the code in UE as well with additions to it (i.e. Gotham Nights is an example)

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
From my contact that worked at ND he told me that they have all their development on the PC using Microsoft Visual Studio as their development IDE. They have a pipeline where they build/compile the code and run it through their PS dev kit. If other companies follow this paradigm.
This is the workflow with almost every engine that exists, in-house or of the shelf, what did you expect it to be that they run IDE or the engine editor tools on the Dev kit?

Reactions: Old Gamer

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
This is the workflow with almost every engine that exists, in-house or of the shelf, what did you expect it to be that they run IDE or the engine editor tools on the Dev kit?
I love how often people conflate cross-compilation toolchain with the IDE choice (by the way, the PS4 SDK has worked on Visual Studio since dev kits were first shipped out). A developer should know better.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PropellerEar
D

Deleted member 13

Not at all. I am simply stating what happens from a developer's perspective. It doesn't mean it's common knowledge with the average person here on these boards. Did you have to make that comment?