Samus Aran is not in Fortnite because Nintendo wanted the skin visible only on Switch

24 Jun 2022
Nintendo's IP, their brand, their choice & their right. I saw Jawmuncher try arguing on ResetERA that it wouldn't be an issue since Samus isn't a big IP like Mario or Zelda, but people like them completely miss the point: it's the brand IP's value in association with adjacent IP.

Nintendo knows that letting Samus in Fortnite on non-Nintendo platforms would already start a slippery slope. They'd start setting optics not just among gamers but also investors & shareholders, who may not have the best interests of the company at heart (simply wanting "growth & infinite profits" is not the same as having the company's best interests at heart).

The most clueless company in gaming right there.

And the one with arguably the highest profit margins of all the platform holders.

Seems like the $$$ results aren't supporting your claim...unless we suddenly need to change the barometer of "smart business" from profits to "That's not "pro-consumer" enough!!"

A lot of this "pro-consumer" talk from certain people is actually undiagnosed entitlement, but w/e

Yuniac

15 Apr 2024
howlongtobeat.com
Good on Nintendo for not giving into Tim Sweeney and the slop he made called Fortnite
I don't mind teens and whoever enjoys free-to-play Fortnite. But my problem is Tim and his idea of 'liberating' the PC market from Steam. My guy thinks Steam is an evil monopoly and he is going to be our savior. Lol, no.

Yuniac

15 Apr 2024
howlongtobeat.com
Nintendo knows what's up.

I cringe every time I see Kratos dancing

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮
IMO, it's sad and disrespectful to put Kratos in that game. wtf. If I had an important character to me and I was a big company or whatever, out of respect I wouldn't put them in Fortnite out of all games lol. Especially when it's someone like Kratos.

god of war sony GIF

Last edited:
Reactions: Box and Nhomnhom

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Nintendo is the only videogames company that respects the customers
That's why they always successful
Play some Wii Music or Everybody 1-2 Switch and get back to me on that. But yeah, on the whole they get things right. And they actually have liscensed their IP out to third party games a decent amount, though always only on the Switch version of the game, which sounds like what Epic turned down here.

quest4441

27 Feb 2024
Metroid may not sell gangbusters but Samus Aran is up there with Link, Mario, Zelda in the pantheon. Heck it gave us a whole genre of games, The fast track to brand dilution would be to allow it on the Fortnite Circus

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Nintendo gets it, that is why they'll likely be around for a long time.

IMO, it's sad and disrespectful to put Kratos in that game. wtf. If I had an important character to me and I was a big company or whatever, out of respect I wouldn't pit them in Fortnite out of all games lol. Especially when it's someone like Kratos.

god of war sony GIF
100%, any serious story focused game should be kept away from this type of thing.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
This reminds me of when Marvel Ultimate Alliance on Wii was going to have Samus and Link as playable Characters only on the Wii Version but the devs did not have a Wii dev kit at the time so they showed Nintendo Samus and Link running on a PS2 build of the game while in developement and Nintendo got pissed and and declined the offer of Samus and Link being in those games. Thats sucks as that would of been an awesome bonus for the wii version of the game and Marvel Ultimate Alliance was a Switch exclusive about 5 years ago as well which is funny. While I totally get not lending your bigger characters like Mario and Link Samus could of benifitted from this as well seeing as the best selling Metroid game is only at 3 million sold and it even launched day one on the Switch OLED as well. Also don't give me crap about this watering down the Metroid brand or this is something Nintendo would never stoop this low to. When Metroid Prime did alright and sold about 2.8 million copies there were Metroid games everywhere for a little bit.
From 2004 to 2007 you had:
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Metroid Prime Hunters First Hunt DS Bundle
Metroid Prime Pinball
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime 3 Coruption
Then in 2010 we got the disappointing Metroid Other M only to wait 6 years for Samus's big return in Metroid Prime Federation Force in 2016

Also never forget Mario Kart on Mobile phone had some of the most insane "micro" transactions only a few years ago and the embarassing Mario characters in the Gamecube Version of NBA Street V3

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Nintendo gets it. Protect your intellectual property pity Sony lost their damn minds the minute Andrew House stepped out the building.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Nintendo gets it. Protect your intellectual property pity Sony lost their damn minds the minute Andrew House stepped out the building.
Sony actually beat Nintendo to the mobile market back in the early 2010s. PS classics on Android were a thing in the Andrew House era.

And don't forget about Sony's 2013 hit game PlayStation All-Stars Island a mobile exclusive game: https://blog.playstation.com/archiv...station-all-stars-island-for-ios-and-android/

Nintendo would eventually follow with Miitomo in 2016 and even before that put the director of Mario Kart 8 the biggest Wii U game on to working on mobile games:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Sony actually beat Nintendo to the mobile market back in the early 2010s. PS classics on Android were a thing in the Andrew House era.

And don't forget about Sony's 2013 hit game PlayStation All-Stars Island a mobile exclusive game: https://blog.playstation.com/archiv...station-all-stars-island-for-ios-and-android/

Nintendo would eventually follow with Miitomo in 2016 and even before that put the director of Mario Kart 8 the biggest Wii U game on to working on mobile games:
So what' you're saying is Andrew House knew exactly where to invest their IP's? Because mobile is exactly where they should be seeking growth.

Reactions: reziel and Box