Santa Monica Studio has 24 open positions for their unannounced game, which seems to be a new God of War

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Sony Santa Monica, the God of War developer based in Los Angeles, is hiring heavily for its next game.

Sony's careers website currently has 24 open positions for the studio, including important positions such as Lead Narrative Animator, Senior Combat Designer, Senior Character Artist, Senior Technical Producer, Lead Tools Programer, among others.

The description of the job offers says that the studio is developing an unannounced project. This project appears to be the sequel to God of War Ragnarok, based on the requirements requested in some of the offers.

In the Senior Combat Designer position, Sony specifically says that candidates who "are fluent in the combat design choices, systems, mechanics, and enemies of God of War (2018) and God of War Ragnarok (2022)" will be given preference.

When studios start hiring this way, it usually means that production is moving forward and they need more people on the team to handle the large amount of work.

God of War sequel, job offers

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, they publicly said they were going to make a new GoW set in a new mythology after GoWR. They may have reached a development point where they have to grow the team. Or who knows, maybe they created a 3rd team to work on a remake of GoW1. Or maybe it's for Cory's IP in case its gameplay concept pretty similar to GoW.

Reactions: Luffy123

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Sony Santa Monica, the God of War developer based in Los Angeles, is hiring heavily for its next game.

Sony's careers website currently has 24 open positions for the studio, including important positions such as Lead Narrative Animator, Senior Combat Designer, Senior Character Artist, Senior Technical Producer, Lead Tools Programer, among others.

The description of the job offers says that the studio is developing an unannounced project. This project appears to be the sequel to God of War Ragnarok, based on the requirements requested in some of the offers.

In the Senior Combat Designer position, Sony specifically says that candidates who "are fluent in the combat design choices, systems, mechanics, and enemies of God of War (2018) and God of War Ragnarok (2022)" will be given preference.

When studios start hiring this way, it usually means that production is moving forward and they need more people on the team to handle the large amount of work.

God of War sequel, job offers
They could probably use my pristine physique as a placeholder for Kratos.

@Gamernyc78, Atreus for you i am afraid.

Gamer before Roids infusion.

Confused Cricket GIF

Last edited:

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Yes, they publicly said they were going to make a new GoW set in a new mythology after GoWR. They may have reached a development point where they have to grow the team. Or who knows, maybe they created a 3rd team to work on a remake of GoW1. Or maybe it's for Cory's IP in case its gameplay concept pretty similar to GoW.
There is also the scenario that Cory wasn't making a new IP but instead the next mythology for GOW

Reactions: Gamernyc78
24 Jun 2022
I'm more interested in the rumored space game TBH, so I was hoping these new positions were related to that. Considering how long it's been in development, would be nice to get a reveal of Cory's space game at this year's Showcase.

That would be very…disappointing.

Yeah, more new AAA and AA IP would always be welcome, preferably non-licensed (so not Marvel-related stuff). I know Microsoft gets a lot of deserved flack but one thing I will give them props for is the amount of new IP they've been putting out this gen.

And yeah a few of those were from acquired 3P publishers (HiFi Rush, Starfield), some of those were disasters (RedFail, Bleeding Edge), but the variety in new IP is there. Even some of the revived legacy IP were smart choices, like Flight Simulator.

We've already had two full GOW games in the span of six years, remakes and remasters from Naughty Dog, mostly superhero games from Insomniac, etc. Most of the new IP or long-awaited (like 8-10 years since previous installment) sequels this gen from SIE have been with GAAS titles. Destruction All-Stars, Helldivers 2, Marathon, Concord, FairGame$ etc.

It'd be nice to see that energy with non-GAAS titles too but new IP-wise there's only been Returnal and, assuming they own the IP rights, Rise of the Ronin & Stellar Blade. Maybe can throw Kena in there too but again I don't know if it's SIE or Ember Lab who own the IP rights there. I mean yeah I'm interested to see what the next GOW will be, but at this point GOW is also a known quantity. We kind of know what we're getting there structurally.

That's why things like the rumored SSM space game, or the rumored Astrobot game, are more exciting to me personally. They are either unknown quantities so can do many different things with gameplay, or they might represent a really interesting growth for SIE gaming in areas they have traditionally been lax in (both in terms of genre and in specific markets i.e a new Astrobot with decent marketing and maybe an anime OVA mini-series would do more in Japan than a HFW did, at a fraction of the budget).

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I hope Kratos has a daughter whose savage asf lol and takes over!!! Or damn two crazy bad ass twins just on some crazy shit. Fuck all this mature, good guy, tempered bs 😂🤣

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Ugh he didn't resonate with me tht much. He actually annoyed me 😂
GOW 2018 he annoyed me, along with BOY!. But in Ragnarok, I began to like him more. Some of that is because he was much faster than Kratos. When I controlled Atreus, I was like LET'S go, off like a bat out of hell. Then I regain control of Kratos and I was like....fuuuuuuuuckkkkkk....this is slow as molasses. The combat between the two (as far as speed goes), was night and day.

At the end of Ragnarok, they showed Atreus heading off on his own, which led me to believe maybe they were considering a side story for that

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Yeah I don't see why people want this boring character.
He ruined the whole game.
in 2018 he was at leas more/less unobrtusive.
Here, he not only took my Kratos away for HOURS.
But his gameplay was just nothing interesting.... his angrboda levels were the worst this generation.
Thor stuff was cool but that's just because of Ryan Hurst amazing acting.

Reactions: Vertigo

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
angrboda levels
I agree those levels were trash. I just happened to enjoy the fast paced combat of Atreus. Which is why I wouldn't mind seeing a spin off with him. Not him being in the new God of War, so it can focus back on Kratos again.

Reactions: rofif