Sarah Bond “Every screen is an Xbox" in private Future of xbox internal meeting |UP| Phil doubles down on this vision.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Updated FROM Podcast with Phil's words...

STK048_XBOX_B.jpg

Today’s announcements were baby steps, but they all point in the same direction: Xbox is no longer just a console.

In an internal memo to employees after the today's podcast, Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer explained the strategy like this:

We have a different vision for the future of gaming. A future where players have a unified experience across devices. A future where players can easily discover a vast array of games with a diverse spectrum of business models. A future where more creators are empowered to realize their creative vision, reach a global audience, unite their communities, and succeed commercially. A future where every screen is an Xbox.

It’s a bold idea, particularly because right now, the word Xbox is synonymous with a console that sits under your TV. So if it’s not a physical machine, what is Xbox?

Every screen is an Xbox,” Bond said in the internal meeting, according to multiple sources who requested anonymity as they were not authorized to speak to media. Sarah spoke extensively about Xbox’s strategy of existing on multiple kinds of devices and greater ambitions of becoming the number one cross-platform gaming company.

Phil confirmed to employees there would be “future hardware” from Xbox and added that it would be safe to assume another Call of Duty was coming this fall. He addressed the company’s recent job cuts and said that it had been a hard decision to stop things that weren’t working.

This isn’t the first time Xbox has shared its multi-device strategy. In 2020, Jason Ronald told me that Xbox is “not trying to force the player to upgrade to an individual device or to make things exclusive to this device or that device.”

Last edited:

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Considering they made multiple titles exclusive as soon as they bought Zenimax, I think Jason Ronald had no idea what he was talking about. Also, I get what Bond means (multi-platform publishing potential), but "every screen is an Xbox" is not a good way to put it. At some point, they're going to have to get the message that Xbox branding is not equated with quality and hasn't been for a long time.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Also saw that they want to be the "number one cross-platform gaming company". Weird phrasing but that doesn't sound like someone who still thinks they can win the console war.

Yep, it sounds like confirmation they're committing to being a third-party publisher.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Also saw that they want to be the "number one cross-platform gaming company". Weird phrasing but that doesn't sound like someone who still thinks they can win the console war.
That's them giving in and basically saying the third party publisher tht makes the most money.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
What's the difference between cross-platform and what EA or Ubisoft aka a third-party publisher is doing? That's what I'm wondering. They release on everything when possible.

You can stream Capcom games on Luna, PS+ and GeForce Now. Nobody owns Capcom. Like you didn't need to buy Activision or Bethesda to do any of that.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
What's the difference between cross-platform and what EA or Ubisoft aka a third-party publisher is doing? That's what I'm wondering. They release on everything when possible.

You can stream Capcom games on Luna, PS+ and GeForce Now. Nobody owns Capcom. Like you didn't need to buy Activision or Bethesda to do any of that.

I think "cross-platform" is used because, for now, they intend to stay in the hardware business. Same reason they use "Xbox on every screen". It might also act as a form of reassurance to their existing customers. As well, I suspect plans have massively changed since they bought ABK.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I think "cross-platform" is used because, for now, they intend to stay in the hardware business. Same reason they use "Xbox on every screen". It might also act as a form of reassurance to their existing customers. As well, I suspect plans have massively changed since they bought ABK.
Plans definitely have changed for many reasons.