Sea of Thieves is the currently the best selling Preordered game on PSN U.S. & also possibly in many European countries where Preorders look strong.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
You said tht before and imo no chance lol
It is a GASS game after all… if they continue supporting it with updates then I see it reaching and even surpassing it.

Over 10 million over time is not some fantasy imo.

BTW. The game is good and very engaging… it was dry on content at launch but that was fixed very fast.

Meta will be higher on PS version because it includes everything while the Xbox version suffered on low scores due the lack of content.

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Sea of Thieves has over 35m players between Xbox and PC. Game is huge and very casual which is what the vast majority of gamers on consoles are. Just because the minority (aka people here) aren't interested in Microsoft's first party games on PlayStation 5 doesn't mean that applies to everyone who owns a PlayStation 5 because in reality it doesn't.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I could never get into the game but it must have some hook (no pun intended) but I am not into multiplayer games.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sea of Thieves has over 35m players between Xbox and PC. Game is huge and very casual which is what the vast majority of gamers on consoles are. Just because the minority (aka people here) aren't interested in Microsoft's first party games on PlayStation 5 doesn't mean that applies to everyone who owns a PlayStation 5 because in reality it doesn't.
No one is implying tht at all or at least I'm not. It being gaas just means it might have a longer life but gaas games fail often and don't reach that so thts neither here nor there. Those Xbox numbers 😂 we already know how Xbox fudges stuff so I wouldn't trust tht as far as I could throw Phil. Played and sold are two highly different things. You have some well known ips on PlayStation not pushing that so I doubt Sea of Thieves will. Of course if it last somehow 10 years 😂😂 maybe any game could. Their concurrent Steam peak wasn't even that good BTW

The release of A Pirate's Life in June of 2021 saw a peak player count of 62,889 concurrent players on Steam. In contrast, Season 8 and hourglass starting in November of 2022 saw a peak player count of 27,236 on November 27th.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Tbh, it was one of the few games from Xbox I was interested in before, along with Halo collection and flight simulator.
Seems like a chill game and sometimes that is needed. I might get it later if they announce more ports lol

Reactions: Gamernyc78

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
No one is implying tht at all or at least I'm not. It being gaas just means it might have a longer life but gaas games fail often and don't reach that so thts neither here nor there. Those Xbox numbers 😂 we already know how Xbox fudges stuff so I wouldn't trust tht as far as I could throw Phil. Played and sold are two highly different things. You have some well known ips on PlayStation not pushing that so I doubt Sea of Thieves will. Of course if it last somehow 10 years 😂😂 maybe any game could. Their concurrent Steam leak wasn't even that good BTW

The release of A Pirate's Life in June of 2021 saw a peak player count of 62,889 concurrent players on Steam. In contrast, Season 8 and hourglass starting in November of 2022 saw a peak player count of 27,236 on November 27th.

Sold and played are two different things. No argument there. The two examples you listed are for DLC for a game that at that point was 3+ and 4 1/2 years old. You have to understand that it releasing on PlayStation, it's basically a new released game for the console. The other stuff simply doesn't matter. But again, we'll see bud.

Anyway, back to playing Final Fantasy VII Rebirth for the day!! 😂

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Sold and played are two different things. No argument there. The two examples you listed are for DLC for a game that at that point was 3+ and 4 1/2 years old. You have to understand that it releasing on PlayStation, it's basically a new released game for the console. The other stuff simply doesn't matter. But again, we'll see bud.

Anyway, back to playing Final Fantasy VII Rebirth for the day!! 😂
Bro Google search puts SOT as it's highest concurrent peak ever whether dlc or not at the number I linked lol whether dlc or not but I shall go spread Democracy "Bud" (you reminded me of Wolverine when you said that).

And I quote...

Sea of Thieves has just seen a hefty rise in concurrent players on Steam, rising to the highest peak player counts the action-adventure game’s witnessed since its launch on Valve’s platform – and it looks like this could be down to the Steam Winter Sale.

Head to SteamDB and you’ll see the peak player count the pirate game posted around the time of Sea of Thieves’ Steam release in June last year hit a whopping 66,906 (on June 18, a couple of weeks following its launch). Similarly, Steam Charts puts the peak concurrent player count for June 2020 at 66,632.

Highest 66,906
DLC 66,632

No difference and that isn't huge to me.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Easily see Sea of Thieves selling 10m+ life time on PlayStation 5. Game is going to be pretty big.

I do think the game's going to do a good bit better than some want to admit. There aren't a lot of GAAS like SoT out there, especially on consoles. I can see this doing 2-3 million worldwide in its first month, ~ 5 million first year. But it'd need another 5 years at "normal" pricing to do 10 million on PS5.

If there's a Switch 2 port ready for that system's launch, though, I can see it doing ~7 million its first year and reaching 10 million on both platforms within 2-3 years instead of 5.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Seems not only in USA, but also in the three top grossing EU countries: UK, Germany and France

But I add that even if isn't top 1 in Spain (4th EU market), it's in the ranking too:
image.png

Nice to see Dragon's Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin in these lists.

Gaf is saying Hellblade 2 is coming as well
I say that all future console Xbox Game Studios, Zenimax and Activision Blizzard will release on PS, in some cases after a timed console exclusive of 1+ years.

In addition to the most Xbox exclusive ones previously released in this generation and the previous one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Seems not only in USA, but also in the three top grossing EU countries: UK, Germany and France

Nice to see Dragon's Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin in these lists.

Nice! Thanks added to OP.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
How is it beating Shadow of the Erdtree? This leads me to believe it doesn't mean much that it is at #1.