Sega posted a net loss of 6.6 billion yen in the past FY (April 1, 2023 – May 31, 2024)

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I would have paid 10-20 bucks for a PS5 upgrade of Persona 5 Royal, but not only was there not an upgrade path but not save data progression...

This cost them my 20 bucks.

Most of sega's games are cheap and unpolished to boot.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
One of the best and one of my personal favorite publishers. Sony messed up big time by undervaluing their partnership.

Games like Yakuza and Persona were just as important to PlayStations legacy and library as Uncharted and God of War are. Allowing them to walk away and work with Trashbox is just one of many L's on a very long list of Jim Ryan's failures. I hope their awful Microsoft contract ends soon, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they work with Nintendo and give them a few 3rd party exclusives and all marketing rights to Switch 2.

71k3zATRDUL.jpg
11307XlqDFlHmHWGjBPndSappCDTnE9OmnP2P-dSzcvLX9i0pvH_okJOl6dP1AnZefxthD-2k3RrsdzYU_BqUy9K5_sv-Tnx.png

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
One of the best and one of my personal favorite publishers. Sony messed up big time by undervaluing their partnership.

Games like Yakuza and Persona were just as important to PlayStations legacy and library as Uncharted and God of War are. Allowing them to walk away and work with Trashbox is just one of many L's on a very long list of Jim Ryan's failures. I hope their awful Microsoft contract ends soon, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they work with Nintendo and give them a few 3rd party exclusives and all marketing rights to Switch 2.

71k3zATRDUL.jpg
11307XlqDFlHmHWGjBPndSappCDTnE9OmnP2P-dSzcvLX9i0pvH_okJOl6dP1AnZefxthD-2k3RrsdzYU_BqUy9K5_sv-Tnx.png
these games need to be available everywhere. No need for PlayStation to hold these games hostage, it's not theirs.

Reactions: Amin_Parker

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
these games need to be available everywhere. No need for PlayStation to hold these games hostage, it's not theirs.
Of course you would say that GamePass boy. They need to be available everywhere? I guess they needed to lose 40 million dollars also? 😂 They don't NEED to be anywhere, but they SHOULD be on PS/Switch, that's it. There isn't a viable market for these games on Xbox/PC. Yakuza 8 peaked 40k on Steam when it launched, P3 Reload was GamePass day 1 and couldn't even be top 50 played. But these games sold 150k-200k physical first week JUST in Japan alone on PS4/5. Sega would save a ton of money developing for the platforms that actually matter, as well as having much better marketing and not devaluing their games by putting it in a garbage service. And yeah Sony doesn't own these games, but these games wouldn't exist if it weren't for PlayStation, but I don't expect Xbox fanboys to know the history of these games....

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Well .. Sega is still a disaster and have oversaturated and overvalued Yakuza and make like two games outside of Atlus.

Optimistic about the future and renewed efforts in more interesting IP like Jet Set Radio. I miss arcade sega and what they once were for sure.

The Sonic movies have saved their ass IMO but they’ve never recovered from the Dreamcast era…

9 May 2024
I don't think some people care that Sega Support XBox. What piss some people off is the fact that Sega shit on Paying PS customer for those sweet Gamepass deal. Like a dragon PS5 ver is 1 year late and no P4G PS5 Ver.

Reactions: samoth

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Xbox is a dead platform for third party sales due to gamepass. Only way Sega would’ve made any money on Xbox is only with gamepass handouts.

Can’t blame this on advertising deals that have zero effect. Sega is well aware where their sales come from.

Their issue is a severe lack of lucrative software. The Yakuza factory works for them but it’s not enough. And Sega seems well aware of this and their renewed focus strategy is something to be optimistic about. The console tribalism is just dumb and ironic considering ya know… Sega used to make consoles 🤣

The Xbox 4 on PS5 is very similar to roll out of Dreamcast games first ported to GameCube/Xbox/PS2.

(I sorta remember Crazy Taxi getting a GameCube port from Activision while Sonic Adventure 2 and Skies of Arcadia were proper internal Sega ports).

Sega was great even when they first went third party but the last decade of their software output has been just been Yakuza and mostly bad sonic games. Like go figure they f-ed up again.

Last edited:

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
What damaged their profits has been mostly their restructuring in Europe, not the performance of their games. They mention that their games performed well.

Hyenas was SEGA's most expensive game ever and they straight up trashed it, huge money pit for them.
Most of their games are not expensive at all.

I will say that their SUPER game(s) and some of their plans for the revival of some of their IPs looks like a huge bomba in the making. Not really confident that they can be very successful with some of the bets they're taking right now.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
What damaged their profits has been mostly their restructuring in Europe, not the performance of their games. They mention that their game sales performed well. This is the source of the article

image.png

image.png

People like Yurinka only look at one half of the equation and since that half looks good thinks that all is well.

Sega's sales are increasing but their operating costs are increasing as well. Why do you think they had layoffs in Europe? In order to reduce costs. Their sales footprint in Europe is likely to shrink as well. They've been in constant decline the last 3 years.

They're now aiming to make their games annual in release trying to emulate things like CoD and EA/T2... this won't work and it will only dilute their IP.

They should have never sold Visual Concepts.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I forgot they sold 2k to Take Two. Considering that NBA 2k is the most successful sports game year after year in the U.S. in both unit sales and engagement as one of the top games in the industry…. Yeah… was a mistake in hindsight of course.