Sega Saturn Vs Nintendo 64 vs Playstation 1 - Which is the most powerful?

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Let's try and start a thermonuclear war on this forum. I may make more of these threads if they promote some discussion around previous generation consoles.

0x0.jpg

CPU: Two 32-bit SH–2 (28.6MHz) RISC processors
RAM: 2MB, Video RAM: 1.5MB
Graphics: VDP1 and VDP2 with texturing, lighting, transparency
VDP1 – objects (quadrilateral sprites and polygons): 200,000 textured polygons per second, 140,000 with added gouraud shading
VDP2 – backgrounds: 4 backgrounds + 1 3D positionable background OR 2 3D positionable backgrounds

61J8JA0X7gL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

CPU: 64-bit R4300i RISC (93.75MHz) / 64-bit data paths, registers with 5-stage pipelining
Co-processor: 64-bit RISC (62.5MHz)
RAM: 4MB (36Mb) upgradeable
Graphics: Pixel Drawing Processor (RDP) built into co-processor
RCP (Reality Co-Processor) SGI developed GPU 1 million polygons per second theoretical. 62.5Mhz
4 MB (expandable to 8MB) RDRAM system memory
Cartridge based games 64MB maximum

PSX-Console-wController.jpg

CPU: 32-bit RISC MIPS R3051 (33.9MHz)
RAM: 2MB, 1MB Video RAM.
Graphics: 3D Geometry Engine, with 2D rotation, scaling, transparency and fading and 3D texture mapping and shading.
“Geometry Transform Engine” GPU 180,000 textured polygons per second

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'll start with my opinion on this:

The PS1 was pretty obviously the middle ground. It lacked a Z buffer, which led to perspective looking all wonky and presented us with its awfully jiggly textures we all came to love (or hate). Nevertheless, it was easier to code for than the Saturn, and had a lot of technical documentation and tools that the former lacked ahead of launch, which meant developers were better supported compared to Sega's offering.

The Saturn was, essentially, a 2D monster that could also do 3D somewhat competently. Its complexity was awful, and having to code for 2 CPUs that shared a BUS + no parallelism meant... that developers were fucked beyond belief when trying to actually make something competent. It also relied on quadrilaterals instead of triangles.

The Nintendo 64 was a monster compared to the other two, but had a very small texture cache (only 4Kb) and relied on cartridges for its games, which meant that their games were very limited both in size and texture fidelity. It did have a Z Buffer, Anti-Aliasing, and other goodies, which allowed it to present us with silky smooth pixels, better draw distances and overall very pretty games, even if a lot of them looked "cartoony".

Overall, my 2 cents, here's the power scale:

- N64
- PS1
- Saturn

Some comparisons on multiplatform games

Reactions: TubzGaming

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
The impression I always got was the saturn had great potential, but was too hard to program for so it was largely untapped.

The n64's Achilles heel was sticking with cartridges.

The ps1 was probably the most "powerful " in the sense it was much easier to get the most out of it in comparison to the saturn and didn't have the n64 limitations, despite only being 32 bits compared to 64.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
The impression I always got was the saturn had great potential, but was too hard to program for so it was largely untapped.

The n64's Achilles heel was sticking with cartridges.

The ps1 was probably the most "powerful " in the sense it was much easier to get the most out of it in comparison to the saturn and didn't have the n64 limitations, despite only being 32 bits compared to 64.

I disagree on the Saturn. it didn't have a lot of untapped potential, and even games such as Panzer Dragoon Saga, released in 1998, which extracted most of what the hardware had to offer, didn't stack up very well against Spyro the Dragon, for example:

As for the N64, don't forget the texture cache. It was puny and severely limited the system.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I always just assumed the N64 was the most powerful.

Wow, what a different time.

When Nintendo used to put effort into making great hardware...Gamecube was a beast of a console too.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I disagree on the Saturn. it didn't have a lot of untapped potential, and even games such as Panzer Dragoon Saga, released in 1998, which extracted most of what the hardware had to offer, didn't stack up very well against Spyro the Dragon, for example:

As for the N64, don't forget the texture cache. It was puny and severely limited the system.
Pretty sure the n64 also lacked a dedicated soundchip. Still liked the dumb system though 😆.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

When Nintendo used to put effort into making great hardware...Gamecube was a beast of a console too.
I'm pretty the game cube was actually more powerful than the ps2. It's ultimate flaw was using those mini disc's. That's probably one of the reasons why something like gta wasn't on the system since it would've required multiple discs.

Reactions: 64bitmodels
OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022

Well, the N64 came in 2 years after the other two consoles... Considering how hardware advanced at the time, it wasn't that big of a feat it being more powerful.

Pretty sure the n64 also lacked a dedicated soundchip. Still liked the dumb system though 😆.

Correct, audio processing is done by the RCP, which was also responsible for graphics. It was a 62MHz beast though, it could handle plenty even though it had split functionality.

P

peter42O

From what I remember, Nintendo 64 was always the most powerful of the three. Saturn was great for 2D games but the co-processor or whatever it was ended up being a huge pain the ass to develop games for. PlayStation wise, they nailed the transition from 2D to 3D while still being a great 2D console. Also, going with a CD-Rom format was also a great move. $300 at launch sure as hell didn't hurt especially when compared to Saturn being rushed out two months earlier at $400.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I've been doing a lot of reading on old console designs (still need to finish through the 360's), and gained a lot of insight through that, some surprising information too.

The truth is, I think it's almost impossible to say any of these systems were clearly more powerful than the other in all aspects, because they all had some glaring weaknesses. With Saturn it's wasn't so much the amount of processors but rather the lack of a wide enough bus for the CPUs to share, and lack of a really good SDK until it was too late. With PlayStation, it was a lack of a FPU and specialized hardware for 2D graphics (lack of any used expansion could be another thing). With N64, the RDRAM had severely poor latency issues and the bus for the RAM was unusually narrow so that was a big bottleneck, that and Nintendo refused letting anyone alter the microcode until several years later. It also lacked an audio processor (audio was done via software only).

That's what seemed to lend each system its specific strengths and weaknesses that generation. @Dodkrake I kind of disagree that there wasn't potential with Saturn left untapped; if was the weaker 3D system between it and PS1 for sure, but by 1998 most of Sega of Japan's teams and resources were focused on the Dreamcast. The fact games like PD Saga got comically low print runs kind of shows Sega was scaling back a lot of Saturn budget by that point.

What I will say is that the PS1 was the best-balanced system/platform of that generation by far. It had the right mix of powerful hardware, ease-of-development, storage medium, licensing costs, production costs, distribution and marketing. That's the reason it won the gen, because all of that acted as a natural magnet for 3P developers & publishers. Which led to games, which led to customers. Sega and Nintendo lacked that mix, which is why they struggled in comparison.

From what I remember, Nintendo 64 was always the most powerful of the three. Saturn was great for 2D games but the co-processor or whatever it was ended up being a huge pain the ass to develop games for. PlayStation wise, they nailed the transition from 2D to 3D while still being a great 2D console. Also, going with a CD-Rom format was also a great move. $300 at launch sure as hell didn't hurt especially when compared to Saturn being rushed out two months earlier at $400.

TBF, Saturn had a pack-in game and internal storage. If they offered a SKU without the pack-in game, they could've probably shaved off $50 and I'm surprised they never did that for launch.

I'm pretty the game cube was actually more powerful than the ps2. It's ultimate flaw was using those mini disc's. That's probably one of the reasons why something like gta wasn't on the system since it would've required multiple discs.

Yeah overall GC was more powerful than PS2 (even more capable than the Xbox in some areas), but the min-disc format hurt it for 3P multiplats much like the 360's use of DVD caught up to it later that gen (though with nowhere as bad an impact because of the 360's market share by that point).

That said, the PS2 had a few technical advantages over GC and Xbox, particularly with things like particle effects & fillrate. That's why the SH2 port to OG Xbox had weak fog effects for example (intentional fog, not "N64 limitations" fog).

• Informative
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
P

peter42O

TBF, Saturn had a pack-in game and internal storage. If they offered a SKU without the pack-in game, they could've probably shaved off $50 and I'm surprised they never did that for launch.

True and I agree. I remember when I worked at Blockbuster back then and the store I was in had a Sega Saturn. This was in 2000. Five years after launch. Was brand new, never rented and the ribbon was still on the battery to where it couldn't save data until it was removed. Cost was $50 plus tax. What a fucking steal that was.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
N64 = strong in processing power but unbalanced… 64bits processors but the access to memory (bus) was 32bits… it had really weird bottlenecks that hold the processors showing it max potential… it was like having a 64bits hardware that can’t fully be used because you were limited to 32bits.

Saturn = better 2D machine than 3D.

PlayStation = better 3D machine than 2D.

Overall each platform had it own advantages and issues… N64 for example can’t have GCI pre-rendered scenes (due cartridges) that was the hype of time… PS have issues with 2D fighting games and Saturn can’t render 3D like PS or N64.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
That's what seemed to lend each system its specific strengths and weaknesses that generation. @Dodkrake I kind of disagree that there wasn't potential with Saturn left untapped; if was the weaker 3D system between it and PS1 for sure, but by 1998 most of Sega of Japan's teams and resources were focused on the Dreamcast. The fact games like PD Saga got comically low print runs kind of shows Sega was scaling back a lot of Saturn budget by that point.

I'm going to hard disagree here. Even in the homebrew scene, where people have had years to perfect and optimise for the console, we haven't seen anything really ground breaking for the Saturn. Compare it with the N64, where people have been able to double the framerate on SM64 on OG hardware, and one can tell that the console was simply not too good.

It had trouble with parallelism, data would stall between CPUs, it had lots of issues with transparencies... Let's not forget they added the second VDP in 1994, the same year it released! For context, here's a diagram of the mobo.

_hu05662e9582b538ada21b1313ba043bdc_267_5a8d03400fd368b4859cc88955f81ad0.webp

That said, the PS2 had a few technical advantages over GC and Xbox, particularly with things like particle effects & fillrate. That's why the SH2 port to OG Xbox had weak fog effects for example (intentional fog, not "N64 limitations" fog).

Was going to mention this. The PS2 was an absolute beast with particles and fillrate. It also had some absolute wonder games that I doubt the gamecube could replicate 1:1, even if it could probably produce better textures and higher resolution.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
In paper it is the most powerful but in action it has several bootlenecks that hold it to show the paper potential.

It was still capable of stretching its legs and provide better graphical experiences when compared to the PS1 and Saturn, by a large margin.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Actually, here's a very good example where the N64 absolutely obliterates the PS1 graphically.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Probably my favourite generation, or 2nd.
I guess N64 was overall more powerful but the PS1 and even the Saturn had advantages in other departments. Especially music, FMV’s etc

Saturn I prefer for 2D fighting games and Schmups. Also JRPG’s were amazing.
PS1 for the big classics like MGS, RE2 and the JRPG’s even though Saturn might have the 2nd best library of JRPG’s outside of PS1 and Snes.
N64 for multiplayer games and the magic of Mario 64, Zelda and the Rare games

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Interestingly, while the Saturn was considered a "2D beast" (and I said as much), some games had the edge on the PS1.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Interestingly, while the Saturn was considered a "2D beast" (and I said as much), some games had the edge on the PS1.

The games was made exclusive to PS1 and ported a year late to Saturn in Japan only... there is a interview in the past that said they had a lot of issues to convert the code from PS1 to Saturn and that can explain the differences with glaring graphic issues.

The opposite happened too.
Grandia on Saturn has better graphics and framerate than a year late Grandia port on PS1 but it was still a better port than SotN on Saturn.

Working exclusively for a fixed hardware matters a lot in the overall result... ports needs a lot of rework or care from the developer to really shines over the original.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
True and I agree. I remember when I worked at Blockbuster back then and the store I was in had a Sega Saturn. This was in 2000. Five years after launch. Was brand new, never rented and the ribbon was still on the battery to where it couldn't save data until it was removed. Cost was $50 plus tax. What a fucking steal that was.

When I was a kid I only saw the Saturn on two occasions. Once at a Funcoland (Funcoland >>> Gamestop) with a demo of Congo running, and again in a jewelry display case of all things at liquidation prices. I didn't even know what a Saturn was during this time, I just knew it looked like a "Sega" console but not the one I had (Genesis), so I must've thought it was a new Genesis SKU or something.

The lucky bastards who picked up Radiant Silvergun or PD Saga for $10 back then are probably laughing at many of us today, and for good reason.

I'm going to hard disagree here. Even in the homebrew scene, where people have had years to perfect and optimise for the console, we haven't seen anything really ground breaking for the Saturn. Compare it with the N64, where people have been able to double the framerate on SM64 on OG hardware, and one can tell that the console was simply not too good.

It had trouble with parallelism, data would stall between CPUs, it had lots of issues with transparencies... Let's not forget they added the second VDP in 1994, the same year it released! For context, here's a diagram of the mobo.

_hu05662e9582b538ada21b1313ba043bdc_267_5a8d03400fd368b4859cc88955f81ad0.webp

I can agree with this to some extent, but one of the things that held back homebrew on Saturn for a long time was that the security hadn't been cracked. In fact, it was only really bypassed just a few years ago. I remember it being a pretty big deal when the guy responsible came out with the video.

Before that making homebrew for Saturn was limited to emulators that were still not where they are today, and it was a lot harder to run homebrew code on actual hardware. There have been some developments since 2016, but this is one of the notable examples that pops up in my head:

This is from the same guy who made the Hellslave Saturn homebrew demo, using a custom engine. I'd say right now this is the peak of technical prowess with Saturn homebrew efforts and they're doing a lot of things generally considered impossible on the Saturn during its commercial tenure. I'm not saying this is looks better than anything on the PS1 or N64, but it's important to remember this demo is just from a single person whereas many of the best showpieces on PS1 & Saturn were made by teams of dozens of people with budgets in the millions, over a period of 2 or so years.

So they obviously have an advantage, but I still think demos like this are pretty impressive and it'll be something to see full games made from efforts like these. If Saturn had more AAA releases made past 1997 (most of the 1998 games finished most of their dev by late 1997 or at most very early 1998), I think we would've gotten more technically impressive stuff than the last batch of releases (some of which like HOTD were outsourced to a rushed 3P dev studio anyway), certainly from a team like Lobotomy Software.

Maybe not stuff to best the likes of FF VIII or IX, Parasite Eve 2 or GT2, but closer to those results than some would maybe expect. I agree though with all of the architecture drawbacks you mention; those existed and compounded on Saturn's problems and lack of a decent SDK for so long just exacerbated the issues (the website with that screencap is a fantastic source on these systems, too).

Was going to mention this. The PS2 was an absolute beast with particles and fillrate. It also had some absolute wonder games that I doubt the gamecube could replicate 1:1, even if it could probably produce better textures and higher resolution.

Yep, I also think PS2 might have had higher polygon culling or rasterization rate than the GC and Xbox as well, but I'm not sure on that. While it didn't have shader support like the GC and Xbox, it had something with "texture layers" or something like that (again trying to recall from what I've read, it's been a minute) and programmers could use that to effectively simulate something similar to shaders, if a bit less efficient.

One of the things that sucked with PS2 though was its limited video output support. Even if it could have produced higher resolution in certain games over GC & Xbox, it had a video output with more muted colors and softening of the image than GC, Xbox and DC. Would've been nice if Sony went a bit further in that respect but considering all the other tech packed into the system, it wasn't a bad tradeoff.

The games was made exclusive to PS1 and ported a year late to Saturn in Japan only... there is a interview in the past that said they had a lot of issues to convert the code from PS1 to Saturn and that can explain the differences with glaring graphic issues.

The opposite happened too.
Grandia on Saturn has better graphics and framerate than a year late Grandia port on PS1 but it was still a better port than SotN on Saturn.

Working exclusively for a fixed hardware matters a lot in the overall result... ports needs a lot of rework or care from the developer to really shines over the original.

Another thing about Saturn SOTN was that Konami didn't handle the port internally; they outsourced it to another company altogether. That company didn't bother to rework the sprite rendering to suite the Saturn's hardware. Capcom did similar with the Saturn port of RE1, which meant they had very little actual hands-on experience with 3D on Saturn.

Explains a lot why Final Fight Revenge became such a kusoge game. Granted, I don't think Saturn ports of RE1 would have exactly matched up with the PS1's if Capcom handled it in-house, outside of the backgrounds which may've been better (and maybe the FMVs and CG sequences if they programmed support for the MPEG decoder card...though how many Saturn owners would have actually bothered with that?), but I think they'd of been a bit better and closer to matching the PS1 versions than they did.