Sega Saturn Vs Nintendo 64 vs Playstation 1 - Which is the most powerful?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Bottlenecks are always a pain in the butt.
Mark Cerny has said his system design philosophy is to find potential bottlenecks in a design and eliminate them, and that seems to be the way to go, but some companies just want to make things as off-the-shelf as possible, and that’s a recipe for bottlenecks.

OP
OP
Darth Vader

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Mark Cerny has said his system design philosophy is to find potential bottlenecks in a design and eliminate them, and that seems to be the way to go, but some companies just want to make things as off-the-shelf as possible, and that’s a recipe for bottlenecks.

And even with that mindset consessions must be made because there's a fairly small number at which the console must be sold at. Considering that the PS5 was designed around reducing as many bottlenecks as possible and the Series X is basically made of off the shelf parts, I can only imagine what a pain in the dick it's to program for it.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
This era of gaming hardware was always interesting to me given that's where I started gaming. I actually like the PS1 aesthetic despite it not aging well in many cases. The Saturn has some interesting hardware quirks as well.

Even odd stuff like the Atari Jaguar seems like it may have been on par with stuff like the saturn and PS1 if it had a slightly better data bus.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This era of gaming hardware was always interesting to me given that's where I started gaming. I actually like the PS1 aesthetic despite it not aging well in many cases. The Saturn has some interesting hardware quirks as well.

Even odd stuff like the Atari Jaguar seems like it may have been on par with stuff like the saturn and PS1 if it had a slightly better data bus.
Jaguar wasn’t even on par with the 3DO. It was a serious case of WTF engineering. All it had going for it was theoretical performance numbers for some of its raw parts, but assembled the way it was, the thing was USELESS.

Bort

8 Jan 2023
Golden eyes + proximity mines x 4 player > all

Even if it is only 4 fps LOL.

I just saw the Jaguar being mentioned. I don't think it ever got released here in Australia, but I remember seeing it in Gamepro, with a controller that seemed to have a bazillion buttons.

I feel like once you get enough distance from previous generations, the power itself doesn't matter so much, but the rose tinted memories associated with them.

I remember Perfect Dark with the expansion pack looking soooo amazing... but I still thought Donkey Kong on SNES looked better.

It's like comparing pissing in the wind on different days.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Jaguar wasn’t even on par with the 3DO. It was a serious case of WTF engineering. All it had going for it was theoretical performance numbers for some of its raw parts, but assembled the way it was, the thing was USELESS.
Oh yeah, Jaguar definitely had a weird design. I was just thinking that with some slightly different design choices, some creative programming and a large enough budget. A Jaguar CD may have been able to do something just below a 3do or saturn.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Oh yeah, Jaguar definitely had a weird design. I was just thinking that with some slightly different design choices, some crestive programming and a large enough budget. A Jaguar CD may have been able to do something just below a 3do or saturn.
So, basically if the Atari Jaguar hadn’t been made by Atari and hadn’t been designed to be the Jaguar, it might not have been garbage. Gotcha.

• haha
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
So, basically if the Atari Jaguar hadn’t been made by Atari and hadn’t been designed to be the Jaguar, it might not have been garbage. Gotcha.
I don't think the hardware was bad, just Atari's handling of it.

Basically, I'm just saying that the hardware could have been used to put out 3d games with semi decent texture detail in the hands of a more competent company.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I don't think the hardware was bad, just Atari's handling of it.

Basically, I'm just saying that the hardware could have been used to put out 3d games with semi decent texture detail in the hands of a more competent company.
The hardware was total shit, which was why the games were almost total garbage.

When Acclaim, of all companies, cancels all development for a platform, you know it’s DOGSHIT.

• they're_right_you_know

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The hardware was total shit, which was why the games were almost total garbage.

When Acclaim, of all companies, cancels all development for a platform, you know it’s DOGSHIT.
I recall seeing one at a show back in the days and being instantly disappointed.

Eventually a friend of mine got one for his collection and we had the "chance" to try most of its library, what a disappointment! In some cases SNES games looked just as good.

The 3DO had the opposite effect, but its price tag put it in the same spot as the Neo-Geo.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I recall seeing one at a show back in the days and being instantly disappointed.

Eventually a friend of mine got one for his collection and we had the "chance" to try most of its library, what a disappointment! In some cases SNES games looked just as good.

The 3DO had the opposite effect, but its price tag put it in the same spot as the Neo-Geo.
The 3DO also wasn't done any favours by launching just before Sony dropped the bomb on the world of games hardware that was the live demo of the PlayStation's capabilities.

Even with people assuming the PS would launch at around the same price as the 3DO, what they showed with the cubes demo and the T-Rex demo was truly game-changing. It was also that event that caused SEGA to panic and shoehorn the second SH-1 into the Saturn and cobble together 3-D support for it.