Several PlayStation Studios are making games in Horizon Forbidden West's engine

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Its all the same, more or less.

Decima is the name Kojima made up for what Guerrilla had previously nicknamed the Killzone engine or just referred to as Guerrilla's engine. Its based on Dejima, an old island in Japan that held a Dutch trading post years ago. Named in spirit of the whole Dutch-Japanese connection of course.

Guerrilla do use the word Decima from time to time, they just don't advertise it in Horizon's boot and trailers etc like Kojima does. He clearly likes branding engines, like his old Fox engine.
Incorrect.

Guerrilla named it Decima long before they even demoed it to Kojima. Guerrilla doesn't have splash screens for it because they don't have to, as they own the engine. Any licensee, like Kojima, is contractually bound to have the splash screen.

You really ought to learn about things before acting like you know.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
WHYY?
Aren't both games about Aloy's story?

Why wasn't TLOU's engine handed off to other studios to do side stories with alt characters, RE Revelations style? There's also 20 years of apocalypse to set different stories across time too.

Yeah Id much rather TLOU spin offs than Horizon tbh.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The Games list:

Death Stranding
Well, it's true. 3 studios worked with it:
  • Guerrilla
  • Kojipro
  • Firesprite (Horizon CoM runs on UE4, but I assume they had to adapt stuff from Decima)
Other than that I don't think other Sony studios would use it. But would make sense to merge the best from each studio into a single super awesome engine for the whole Sony.

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
Incorrect.

Guerrilla named it Decimal long before they even demoed it to Kojima. Guerrilla doesn't have splash screens for it because they don't have to, as they own the engine. Any licensee, like Kojima, is contractually bound to have the splash screen.

You really ought to learn about things before acting like you know.
Or like the old proverb says "be sure brain is in gears before engaging mouth".

What? lol

You guys have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

"With us it was always just called ‘the engine’, but now it is officially the Decima Engine. A nice reference to the centuries-old trade relationship between the Netherlands and Japan." - Angie Smets, Guerrilla Games

"According to executive producer Angie Smets, Decima was originally known simply as "the engine" by Guerrilla employees, as there were initially no plans to publicly offer this technology to game developers outside of the company. However, the newly forged partnership with Kojima Productions meant that Guerrilla suddenly had to give the engine a name for marketing purposes; they chose to name it after Dejima, the Japanese island where a Dutch Empire trading post appeared in the 17th century and once symbolized the strong trade relations between Japan and the Netherlands.[13][14][15]"

"In fact, prior to offering the engine, Guerrilla Games didn't even have a name for the tech. Hulst and Kojima came up with the word Decima, which is the name of an artificial island in the bay of Nagasaki.

Fittingly, the Decima island (also called Dejima) was built in 1634 as a home for Portuguese traders; Japan's way of limiting their influence on the country. The Dutch later moved to the island in 1641, making it Japan's only trade port with the rest of the world."

"Now the name, tell us a bit about the branding of this. You said Hermen its is an engine you guys have been working on but hasn't had this name before. So is this a joint collaboration to come up with this name? What does the name mean?"

"In Japan its called Dejima. ... so actually Netherlands and Japan have a very long history of collaboration, of being close togother and having the name of the engine be Decima, Dejima in Japanese, its a fantastic touch by Hermen."

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
WHYY?
Aren't both games about Aloy's story?

Why wasn't TLOU's engine handed off to other studios to do side stories with alt characters, RE Revelations style? There's also 20 years of apocalypse to set different stories across time too.

What on earth are you talking about.
I realised I was wrong here, and my two points didn't really follow on from each other. It's done in Horizon's engine, like Death Stranding, not Horizon's story setting, like the multitude of other announced games.

Then separately, I was just musing that TLOU's engine would lend itself well to just pumping out character chunk stories and build up different characters and stories to cross pollinate later, like Resident Evil/Revelations, or TWD, does. It also has 20 years of apocalypse to cover, other cities to be set in, new infected types I suppose that just aren't known about in cities we've been to so far. It's gameplay/story I think lends itself far better to a range of game genres than Horizon does, IMO.