Shawn layden interview When your costs for a game exceed $200 million, exclusivity is your Achilles’ heel.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
"Decimate the health of your platform for an extra 10% sales" 🤦‍♂️ that is literally cutting off the nose to spite the face

Making over a billion gross revenue on console isn't enough, but an extra 30m from PC is amazing and helped save the day 😐 WTF is wrong with these execs, this doesn't make any sense from any angle you look at it.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
"Decimate the health of your platform for an extra 10% sales" 🤦‍♂️ that is literally cutting off the nose to spite the face

Making over a billion gross revenue on console isn't enough, but an extra 30m from PC is amazing and helped save the day 😐 WTF is wrong with these execs, this doesn't make any sense from any angle you look at it.

It's the new narrative. Expect more of the "exclusives bad, consoles dead" pr push just because xbox is dead.

2 out of 3 major hardware holders are doing better than ever but it's the failed one that's apparently leading the charge.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
It's the new narrative. Expect more of the "exclusives bad, consoles dead" pr push just because xbox is dead.

2 out of 3 major hardware holders are doing better than ever but it's the failed one that's apparently leading the charge.
I expect that from the usual suspects, but a former PS exec? 🤦‍♂️ He has no stake in this, even if Sony went full 3rd party, Tencent isn't affected at all. I highly doubt he's shilling for MS, but that might be the only way to explain such a senseless opinion.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I expect that from the usual suspects, but a former PS exec? 🤦‍♂️ He has no stake in this, even if Sony went full 3rd party, Tencent isn't affected at all. I highly doubt he's shilling for MS, but that might be the only way to explain such a senseless opinion.
It's just a further articulation of what he's said before publicly, and internally at Sony while in charge:
The strategy as we were developing it when I was there was that we need to go out to where these new customers are, where these new fans could be. We need to go to where they are... Because they've decided not to come to my house, so I've got to go their house now. And what's the best way to go to their house? Why not take one of our top-selling games?

Also this folks need to come to terms with this obviously true statement:
For single-player games it’s not the same exigency [as getting masses into the f2p funnel]. if you’re spending $250 million, you want to be able to sell it to as many people as possible, even if it’s just 10% more. The global installed base for consoles–if you go back to the PS1 and everything else stacked up there, wherever in time you look at it, the cumulative consoles out there never gets over 250 million. It just doesn’t

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
He's the one that started the whole PC port thought process.

One of the things that could happen, and I believe that Reforge gaming guys said, is that we'll see these games split into multiple parts. Charge full price for both, essentially getting the full game for twice the price.

Reactions: Puff

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
That’s why I’m glad the Xbox is dying
Screenshot-20240308-193322-Chrome.jpg
tbh he wasn't wrong about anything until the last sentence 😂🤣 what an idiot

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
It's just a further articulation of what he's said before publicly, and internally at Sony while in charge:

Also this folks need to come to terms with this obviously true statement:
i already addressed that idiocy

One of the things that could happen, and I believe that Reforge gaming guys said, is that we'll see these games split into multiple parts. Charge full price for both, essentially getting the full game for twice the price.
yeah he started the PC port thing, but he probably didn't think it'd flop this bad. But when we have the info we have now, and still talking like that, it's really dumb to continue harping on.

Reactions: J_Paganel

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
That’s why I’m glad the Xbox is dying
Screenshot-20240308-193322-Chrome.jpg
Fiction:
Nintendo good
Xbox good
Sony struggling

Reality:
Nintendo good (highest profits)
Sony good (highest revenues ever)
Xbox utter failure (no profit, going third party)

Microsoft desperately need Sony to succeed with PlayStation now because we all know PC players don't buy games to anywhere near the extent PS players do, and Microsoft's studios are all geared towards high end AAA production values, precluding release on the Switch at launch.

They should be on their knees begging.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

no, he didn't.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
no, he didn't.
The first PS CEO that openly talked about doing it.

"there's no losing in this transaction" when bringing PlayStation titles to PC. Layden said that he had been one of a number of people considering the release of Sony games on PC ahead of his departure from the company in October 2019, and that "the strategy as were developing it [...] was that we need to go out to where these new customers are, where these new fans could be. We need to go to where they are [...] because they've decided not to come to my house, so I've got to go to their house now."

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

"there's no losing in this transaction" when bringing PlayStation titles to PC. Layden said that he had been one of a number of people considering the release of Sony games on PC ahead of his departure from the company in October 2019, and that "the strategy as were developing it [...] was that we need to go out to where these new customers are, where these new fans could be. We need to go to where they are [...] because they've decided not to come to my house, so I've got to go to their house now."
Kinda funny that his own analogy shows why it's a dumb strategy. If I invite someone to my house and they don't show up, I don't think showing up at theirs means they want to let me in now.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Weird complex people are having that people think Sony needs to sell games on a platform selling 20% as much as PS5. MS needs Sony way more than Sony needs MS in this market..

Ready for that narrative to end, it only exists to make Xbots feel better about MS going mulitplat

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

he never really in power to decide that, plus. he was gone before PC ports hit PC. so makes no sense that he started anything.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Kinda funny that his own analogy shows why it's a dumb strategy. If I invite someone to my house and they don't show up, I don't think showing up at theirs means they want to let me in now.
These idiots really don't follow their analogies through to their logical conclusions. Now their house is a better place to be, even for some of your former guests. Doesn't matter if you've still got the best chips and dip - you went and fucking gave away the recipe.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I think what sony should do is cut the price (like they are in europe and america right now) and try to build up as much of an installed base as quickly as possible for a few reasons besides the obvious.

-Consumers choosing between xbox or playstation is a zero sum game because of ecosystem lock in, that is to say when one gets skipped, it DOES hurt that platform because they probably have permanently lost a potential customer. Id say doubly so for xbox because playstation ecosystem is just overall better, more exclusives of higher quality, japanese games, indies, vr etc. So by having a more enticing price, every month PS grows, xbox shrinks and the data reflects this.

Xbox is on the ledge, just go for broke and give them a push by reducing the price.

Reactions: Kokoloko