Shinji Mikami has established a new studio named KAMUY Inc.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
He's an idiot. He had a titan backing him and that would have allowed him to make the game he wanted. Now he has to do it all from scratch. This will age poorly, former devs finding their own studio hasn't been good in recent years.
Xbox is the absolute worst place to be if you’re a developer, Series S + GamePass already set you 10 steps behind

Last edited:
Reactions: Airbus

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Friendly reminder that tomorrow is the 22 year anniversary of Resident Evil 1 remake on GameCube (Also the 28 Year Anniversary of Resident Evil 1 on PS1.) and when Kingdom Hearts came out the same week on PS2 and outsold RE1 remake Shinji Mikami attacked sqaure and Sony. I wonder how he feels about Ghostwire Tokyo being a timed PS5 exclusive seeing what he thinks of the company.

He used to hate Sony at that time. He and his team caused some f**k up in Capcom during that era.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
He used to hate Sony at that time. He and his team caused some f**k up in Capcom during that era.
Apparently he was pissed about the PS2 being hard to make games for and Sony refused to help him. That's according to him.

He was so pissed that he went behind Capcom's back, who at the time was working with PS on a new game, and made a deal with Nintendo for the remake. I have no idea why Capcom just went with it. Perhaps they didn't want to lose him.

Came crawling back, I see. Neither Nintendo nor Xbox can support his games. Suddenly, Sony doesn't seem as bad.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Imagine calling Mikami an idiot. Mikami formed Tango and look where that studio is today. He’s been hopping around and forming studios for 20 years now, it’s just his thing. These studios help grow new talent which has always been a huge focus of his. I get you wanna say something contrarian for the sake of it, but choosing Mikami as a subject of such a post is quite nonsensical
While them saying Shinji should of stayed with xbox is absolutely dumb, since I doubt Xbox would of put a lot of money behind a new tango works game, I don't think it is a stretch calling Shinji Mikami and idoit to be honest.

Resident Evil 1, 2 , and 3 were all huge successes on the PS1 in the late 90s and how did Shinji Follow that up? By trying to get all the mainline Resident Evil games off of PlayStation and instead focus on Dreamcast and Gamecube instead of PS2.
For what ever reason since Capcom had trouble getting Resident Evil 2 ported to the Sega Saturn they decided to make Code Veronica a Dreamcast Exclusive for a year. Also what ever reason Shinji Mikami didn't think Sony replicating the success of the PS1 was a sure thing and thought focusing on the Gamecube and Dreamcast was more of a priority for him. Some of his reasons are solid as he claimed the PS2 was hard to develop for compared to the dreamcast: https://www.zdnet.com/article/a-year-ago-playstation2-after-the-dust-settles/

However him deciding GameCube was the right place for all new mainline Resident Evil games including a Remake of 1 is one of the most baffling decisions ever. I understand the PS2 might of been complicated to make games for but him not realizing making Resident Evil 1 Remake and Resident Evil 0 a gamecube exclusives would of affected sales seeing how poorly the gamecube was selling even in 2002.
To make matters worse when Kingdom Hearts released on PS2 the same week as Resident Evil 1 remake and outsold Resident Evil 1 remake he trashed Square and Sony saying the only Reason PS1 and PS2's sales were so high was because of the Sony purposefully made the CD lens in them easy to break and the only Reason Kingdom Hearts outsold Resident Evil 1 remake was because of hype: https://www.angelfire.com/pa4/RCInews/october162002a.html

Imagine if Square said the only reason Animal Crossing New Horizons outsold FF7 remake in 2020 was because of hype.
Imagine if Kojima said the only reason Luigi's Mansion 3 sold better than Death Stranding was because of hype and said his game was better. People would be trashing them online nonstop. but for Some reason Shinji Mikami gets a pass for all this?

Imagine after the huge success Capcom has after Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil 2 remake thanks a lot to the PS4 versions selling so well Capcom decided Resident Evil 3 remake would be a switch exclusive then Resident Evil 8: Village and Resident Evil 4 Remake would be and Xbox Series Exclusive while PS5 only gets Resident Evil resistance and RE:Verse despite RE7 and RE2 remake selling so well on PS4. That is the kind of thing Shinji Mikami did with the Resident Evil franchise 20 years ago and thankfully Capcom stopped with his madness and made sure Resident Evil 4 came to PS2 shortly after Gamecube version or Resident Evil might not exist anymore

Reactions: Puff

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022

honestly he still seems to have some distain for Sony to this day,

In 2001 at the 5 year Anniversary of Resident Evil he said this about how Code Veronica came to be (skip to 12:18 if timestamp doesn't work):

However 20 years later in 2021 for the 25th anniversary celebration of the Resident Evil franchise in 2021 he said Code Veronica should of been the real Resident Evil 3 and said "On the other hand, Resident Evil - Code: Veronica, which isn't a numbered title, that game is a title that deserved more to be a numbered one. It didn't end up becoming one for political reasons between Capcom and the console manufacturing company."
which could only be Sony since PS1 got Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and no other system during that time did: https://www.gamereactor.eu/shinji-mikami-resident-evil-3s-quality-was-a-bit-on-the-lower-end/

In the past 20 years he seems to have changed his story of how Code Veronica came to be and now it seems to make Sony adn Capcom look like the bad guys for why Code Veronica isn't the 3rd Resident Evil game but to me Code Veronica sucks so I am glad Nemesis became the numbered title.

In the 2022 video interview he did with Jun Takeuchi, he talked about all the Sega games he loved in the mega drive era so I think deep down he is kinda salty the PS1 and PS2 not only came out on top of the saturn and dreamcast but he also thought it was a better idea to go with the gamecube for resident evil 4 exclusivity because he thought sony ad microsoft would be the ones to not have a future in the video games business (which he is pretty spot on for microsoft) but the Gamecube failed so bad nintendo left the power race and is now making handheld hardware: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...d_xboxs_future_so_he_did_a_deal_with_nintendo

Don't forget he also dissed the PS3 as well by answering the question of "which would you support: Wii, PS3, or Xbox 360" with "From the stance of a game maker, if you're looking for visual expression and reality, it's Xbox 360. Otherwise, Wii. "but that one is a bit more understandable due to how crazy the PS3 was to develop for but not even commenting at all on Sony is pretty telling in my opinion.

So just because he isn't public about how he feels about Sony to this day, I don't think he personally wants to work with them if he had a choice and to be honest despite Resident Evil 4 being my favorite game of all time, I think Shinji Mikami is super lucky he didn't have his public outbursts in the age of social media.
His attack on square and Sony is still the most unprofessional behavior by a legendary game developer to this day.
He literally said the only reason PS1 and PS2 sold so well was that Sony purposefully made it's CD lens super faulty so you would have to buy the console over and over again however said the only reason Kingdom Hearts outsold Resident Evil 1 remake was because of the hype around it and not because kingdom hearts was better than resident evil 1 remake. Well since according to him PS2's broke so damn often, why were so many people buying Kingdom Hearts in the first place? If I bought a PS2 that didn't work the last thing I would do is buy games for it. like what is is logic behind that attack besides being super salty.

Imagine any game developer saying that nowadays. Imagine

Reactions: Johnic and Puff

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
To make matters worse when Kingdom Hearts released on PS2 the same week as Resident Evil 1 remake and outsold Resident Evil 1 remake he trashed Square and Sony saying the only Reason PS1 and PS2's sales were so high was because of the Sony purposefully made the CD lens in them easy to break and the only Reason Kingdom Hearts outsold Resident Evil 1 remake was because of hype: https://www.angelfire.com/pa4/RCInews/october162002a.html
Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

I knew some of this but didn't know he was this big of an asshole.

He got to work off of Sony, so why not stay with his precious Xbox.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
honestly he still seems to have some distain for Sony to this day,

In 2001 at the 5 year Anniversary of Resident Evil he said this about how Code Veronica came to be (skip to 12:18 if timestamp doesn't work):

However 20 years later in 2021 for the 25th anniversary celebration of the Resident Evil franchise in 2021 he said Code Veronica should of been the real Resident Evil 3 and said "On the other hand, Resident Evil - Code: Veronica, which isn't a numbered title, that game is a title that deserved more to be a numbered one. It didn't end up becoming one for political reasons between Capcom and the console manufacturing company."
which could only be Sony since PS1 got Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and no other system during that time did: https://www.gamereactor.eu/shinji-mikami-resident-evil-3s-quality-was-a-bit-on-the-lower-end/

In the past 20 years he seems to have changed his story of how Code Veronica came to be and now it seems to make Sony adn Capcom look like the bad guys for why Code Veronica isn't the 3rd Resident Evil game but to me Code Veronica sucks so I am glad Nemesis became the numbered title.

In the 2022 video interview he did with Jun Takeuchi, he talked about all the Sega games he loved in the mega drive era so I think deep down he is kinda salty the PS1 and PS2 not only came out on top of the saturn and dreamcast but he also thought it was a better idea to go with the gamecube for resident evil 4 exclusivity because he thought sony ad microsoft would be the ones to not have a future in the video games business (which he is pretty spot on for microsoft) but the Gamecube failed so bad nintendo left the power race and is now making handheld hardware: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...d_xboxs_future_so_he_did_a_deal_with_nintendo

Don't forget he also dissed the PS3 as well by answering the question of "which would you support: Wii, PS3, or Xbox 360" with "From the stance of a game maker, if you're looking for visual expression and reality, it's Xbox 360. Otherwise, Wii. "but that one is a bit more understandable due to how crazy the PS3 was to develop for but not even commenting at all on Sony is pretty telling in my opinion.

So just because he isn't public about how he feels about Sony to this day, I don't think he personally wants to work with them if he had a choice and to be honest despite Resident Evil 4 being my favorite game of all time, I think Shinji Mikami is super lucky he didn't have his public outbursts in the age of social media.
His attack on square and Sony is still the most unprofessional behavior by a legendary game developer to this day.
He literally said the only reason PS1 and PS2 sold so well was that Sony purposefully made it's CD lens super faulty so you would have to buy the console over and over again however said the only reason Kingdom Hearts outsold Resident Evil 1 remake was because of the hype around it and not because kingdom hearts was better than resident evil 1 remake. Well since according to him PS2's broke so damn often, why were so many people buying Kingdom Hearts in the first place? If I bought a PS2 that didn't work the last thing I would do is buy games for it. like what is is logic behind that attack besides being super salty.

Imagine any game developer saying that nowadays. Imagine
He overestimated himself and underestimated Playstation and other franchises. He thought he could single handedly destroy Playstation by going GameCube exclusive.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Does this mean evil within 3 is dead?

Also that kamui name

Must be a big fan of kakashi

Naruto Shippuden GIF