Shinji Mikami: 'There's no Space for Dino Crisis when Monster Hunter Exists'

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
dino-crisis-ps1.jpg

Speaking to Eurogamer at Gamescom with regards to the forthcoming Shadows of the Damned remaster, Mikami discussed the topic of a new Dino Crisis game - it's the series most Capcom fans want to see make a return, according to a recent survey.

"I'm very surprised to hear that," said Mikami in relation to fans wanting more Dino Crisis. "The awesomeness of dinosaurs and the stuff you can do with dinosaurs, that's been kind of really nailed down by Monster Hunter in recent years.
"So even if I were to decide to make a remake or a new version of Dino Crisis, I don't really feel like there's a whole lot of space for that kind of game right now, just since Monster Hunter has become such a big game. But yeah, it is surprising.

When Capcom announced Exoprimal, its online dinosaur-inspired shooter, many fans jumped to Dino Crisis, only to be disappointed.

via Eurogamer

• haha
Reactions: Lersds

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
I love Mikami but this comment makes no sense. Monster Hunter and Dino Crisis are two different games in different genres. Plus, going by this logic, then why is Dead Rising a thing when Resident Evil exists? If anything, I would easily prefer a remake of Dino Crisis instead of Dead Rising.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Yeah its not the shitty 3rd game but monster hunter that killed this franchise LMAO. No wonder his studio made hi-fi rush toilet flush

Reactions: Lersds

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
wtf, the games arent even remotely similar despite monster hunter having some fictitious dinossaurs on its monsters roster lmao... if anything the monster hunter team could share some tech with a future dino crisis team to make something cool asf

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They play nothing alike. Not the same genre. Not the same setting. Zero

Ive said this loads, but people who create games and work in the industry arent always the smartest. They just have gamers who buy games and make profit. They actually fuck up more then they do right lol

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
The guy who signed exclusive Resident Evil deal with Nintendo and almost killed the franchise and fucked up Capcom.
Talking about RE4 on Gamecube? Man, remembered like it was yesterday that shit was wild that a mainline Resident Evil game was locked to only one platform. Guess it started with RE1 remake on Gamecube too before that.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Talking about RE4 on Gamecube? Man, remembered like it was yesterday that shit was wild that a mainline Resident Evil game was locked to only one platform. Guess it started with RE1 remake on Gamecube too before that.
Not just that but REmake as well. Then when it flopped Capcom decided people don't like fixed camera angle games anymore. Maybe because your entire fanbase was on another platform with no access to the game?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I see a lot of people giving shit on Shinji for saying this but he isn't exactly wrong which is surprising since he was probably the worst business man in gaming about 20 years ago.

Most people only really know about the first two Dino Crisis games and many people out there don't even realize there is a freakin third game in the series.
But I think people here didn't really read what he said fully.

"I'm very surprised to hear that," said Mikami in relation to fans wanting more Dino Crisis. "The awesomeness of dinosaurs and the stuff you can do with dinosaurs, that's been kind of really nailed down by Monster Hunter in recent years.
"So even if I were to decide to make a remake or a new version of Dino Crisis, I don't really feel like there's a whole lot of space for that kind of game right now, just since Monster Hunter has become such a big game. But yeah, it is surprising."

He is not saying Monster Hunter is a replacement for Dino Crisis, he is saying he can't see what a Dino Crisis Game could do that could top Monster Hunter is already doing with Dinosaurs.

Which I get why some people are getting caught up on that comparison but you got to look at it from Capcom's/ a Developer's Stand point. Would Dino Crisis ever outsell a Monster Hunter or Resident Evil game? The answer is NO unless if some define miracle happens.
Would a new Dino Crisis or remake of an old one create a splash that RE and MH could? I think not even with it being 21 years since the last game.

And everybody trying to use Dead Rising as an example as to why Capcom could have Dino Crisis and Monster Hunter Co-Exist because Resident Evil also has Zombies in it. Well there are two big issues with that comparison.

1. Shinji didn't say "Zombies" were an enemy that pretty much everything with them was already being done by a different franchise, Also not even all the Mainline Resident Evil Games even have Zombies in them, Only 1, 2, 3, 6, 1 Remake, 2 remake, and 3 remake. (And RE6 doesn't even have Zombies the whole game.)

2. The last new Dead Rising Game was in December 2016 and the studio that made it (CAPCOM Vancouver) shut down on September 18th,. 2018 after lackluster sales of DR4. This was before Resident Evil reinvented itself with the RE Engine and RE7. So technically there was only one time there was a Resident Evil Game with Zombies during the entire Dead Rising franchise lifespan was when RE6 came out and like I said before didn't even feature Zombies thru out the whole game.

So I don't think he is even that crazy for saying this and too everybody who thinks if Capcom made a new Dino Crisis Game or remake of any of the old ones and think it would sell like hot cakes I got some news for you. The Dino Crisis Fanbase is tiny. Very vocal but Tiny and would be forgotten about very quickly.

Monster hunter isn't a survival horror with dinosaurs 🤡
Only Dino Crisis 1 is a survival horror game with Dinosaurs.
2 is a completely action oriented game that does have fixed camera angles but is not survival horror in anyway.
3 is like PN03 with a moving fixed camera like Code Veronica. Not really survival Horror at all.

It killed old school RE.
Well Code Veronica selling horribly on Dreamcast and PS2 certainly didn't help. The Outbreak games, Dead Aim, and RE Survivor 2 Code Veronica being blimps on the sales charts also did not help and those came out on what is the highest selling console as of right now.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I see a lot of people giving shit on Shinji for saying this but he isn't exactly wrong which is surprising since he was probably the worst business man in gaming about 20 years ago.

Most people only really know about the first two Dino Crisis games and many people out there don't even realize there is a freakin third game in the series.
But I think people here didn't really read what he said fully.

"So even if I were to decide to make a remake or a new version of Dino Crisis, I don't really feel like there's a whole lot of space for that kind of game right now, just since Monster Hunter has become such a big game. But yeah, it is surprising."

He is not saying Monster Hunter is a replacement for Dino Crisis, he is saying he can't see what a Dino Crisis Game could do that could top Monster Hunter is already doing with Dinosaurs.

Which I get why some people are getting caught up on that comparison but you got to look at it from Capcom's/ a Developer's Stand point. Would Dino Crisis ever outsell a Monster Hunter or Resident Evil game? The answer is NO unless if some define miracle happens.
Would a new Dino Crisis or remake of an old one create a splash that RE and MH could? I think not even with it being 21 years since the last game.

And everybody trying to use Dead Rising as an example as to why Capcom could have Dino Crisis and Monster Hunter Co-Exist because Resident Evil also has Zombies in it. Well there are two big issues with that comparison.

1. Shinji didn't say "Zombies" were an enemy that pretty much everything with them was already being done by a different franchise, Also not even all the Mainline Resident Evil Games even have Zombies in them, Only 1, 2, 3, 6, 1 Remake, 2 remake, and 3 remake. (And RE6 doesn't even have Zombies the whole game.)

2. The last new Dead Rising Game was in December 2016 and the studio that made it (CAPCOM Vancouver) shut down on September 18th,. 2018 after lackluster sales of DR4. This was before Resident Evil reinvented itself with the RE Engine and RE7. So technically there was only one time there was a Resident Evil Game with Zombies during the entire Dead Rising franchise lifespan was when RE6 came out and like I said before didn't even feature Zombies thru out the whole game.

Only Dino Crisis 1 is a survival horror game with Dinosaurs.
2 is a completely action oriented game that does have fixed camera angles but is not survival horror in anyway.
3 is like PN03 with a moving fixed camera like Code Veronica. Not really survival Horror at all.

Well Code Veronica selling horribly on Dreamcast and PS2 certainly didn't help. The Outbreak games, Dead Aim, and RE Survivor 2 Code Veronica being blimps on the sales charts also did not help and those came out on what is the highest selling console as of right now.
I don't know if a Dino Crisis Remake will be a mega hit success like the RE2 remake but it sure as hell will sell more than Exoprimal and kunitsugami lol

Reactions: Would_you_kindly