Shinji Mikami: 'There's no Space for Dino Crisis when Monster Hunter Exists'

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I don't know if a Dino Crisis Remake will be a mega hit success like the RE2 remake but it sure as hell will sell more than Exoprimal and kunitsugami lol
will it cost less than those games? because if you want an RE2 Remake level of polish to a Dino Crisis Remake or 4th game get ready to spend some big bucks:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
will it cost less than those games? because if you want an RE2 Remake level of polish to a Dino Crisis Remake or 4th game get ready to spend some big bucks:

No, and it will be more expensive than RE2 remake, but, less expensive than Concord 😆

I do believe that a remake of first Dino Crisis will be successful.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Completely differente genres....

If you don't want to make Dino Crisis, then at least rent the IP to someone else who's willing and competent.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
He is not saying Monster Hunter is a replacement for Dino Crisis, he is saying he can't see what a Dino Crisis Game could do that could top Monster Hunter is already doing with Dinosaurs.
Lol I need logic to answer a logical argument. Hence, I can't answer his argument if it qualfies as an argument. After what he did in 2001 with Nintendo deals, The guy cannot be taken seriously anymore. I was teenager at that time and I still questioned how he's gonna sell Resident Evil on Gamecube when me and my friends RE fans are on PS2. You can't even call him a bad business man. That's too nice to say about him.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Lol I need logic to answer a logical argument. Hence, I can't answer his argument if it qualfies as an argument. After what he did in 2001 with Nintendo deals, The guy cannot be taken seriously anymore. I was teenager at that time and I still questioned how he's gonna sell Resident Evil on Gamecube when me and my friends RE fans are on PS2. You can't even call him a bad business man. That's too nice to say about him.
There was reasoning with his logic, when the dreamcast came out it was fairly simple to work with. When the PS2 came out quite a few devs including Shinji vented frustration with working with the emotion engine at first. Yes developers would of course learn to develop for the PS2 seeing how gigantic the library was but in the early days of the PS2 a lot of devs were having headaches working with it.

During this time Capcom didn't have enough staff to port everything to every platform like they do now especially with their big franchises which back then RE still was under Street fighter in terms of success. They couldn't even port RE2 to Sega Saturn like they wanted so when Dreamcast came out they made Code Veronica for it with the help of TOSE.

Yes looking back and even Shinji himself admits going with Gamecube over PS2 or even Xbox was a mistake and he was way to harsh on Sony and even Sqaure when Kingdom Hearts found huge success on PS2 the same week in Japan was RE1 Remake released on gamecube. But there was a reason behind his decision and its not like Capcom at the time were as staffed as they are now or was this theyd ays where all systems were similar to each other. Nowadays we take for granted how similar Xbox and PlayStation are since the launch of the PS4 and stuff like that helped make things like the RE Engine flourish since it could target both Consoles and PC very well while in the PS2 days you have four very differently built systems with the Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox..... and PC tooo!

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
There was reasoning with his logic, when the dreamcast came out it was fairly simple to work with. When the PS2 came out quite a few devs including Shinji vented frustration with working with the emotion engine at first. Yes developers would of course learn to develop for the PS2 seeing how gigantic the library was but in the early days of the PS2 a lot of devs were having headaches working with it.

During this time Capcom didn't have enough staff to port everything to every platform like they do now especially with their big franchises which back then RE still was under Street fighter in terms of success. They couldn't even port RE2 to Sega Saturn like they wanted so when Dreamcast came out they made Code Veronica for it with the help of TOSE.

Yes looking back and even Shinji himself admits going with Gamecube over PS2 or even Xbox was a mistake and he was way to harsh on Sony and even Sqaure when Kingdom Hearts found huge success on PS2 the same week in Japan was RE1 Remake released on gamecube. But there was a reason behind his decision and its not like Capcom at the time were as staffed as they are now or was this theyd ays where all systems were similar to each other. Nowadays we take for granted how similar Xbox and PlayStation are since the launch of the PS4 and stuff like that helped make things like the RE Engine flourish since it could target both Consoles and PC very well while in the PS2 days you have four very differently built systems with the Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox..... and PC tooo!
Difficulty of programming on PS2 was just a pure bullshit by him. Capcom already had engines running flawlessly on PS2. With original Devil May Cry having cutting edge graphics and flowless 60 fps. RE remake was also running on the same engine running Onimusha 2 which run flawlessly on PS2 with beatifull graphics. All these games came before or at the same time as RE remake.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Difficulty of programming on PS2 was just a pure bullshit by him. Capcom already had engines running flawlessly on PS2. With original Devil May Cry having cutting edge graphics and flowless 60 fps. RE remake was also running on the same engine running Onimusha 2 which run flawlessly on PS2 with beatifull graphics. All these games came before or at the same time as RE remake.
Did you not read the article? Shinji isn't the only one saying that nor is he even the main dev featured in that article. Also Devil May Cry uses a completely different engine than RE1 remake/ RE0 or RE4

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Did you not read the article? Shinji isn't the only one saying that nor is he even the main dev featured in that article. Also Devil May Cry uses a completely different engine than RE1 remake/ RE0 or RE4
You talking about denofgeek? Yes many developers complained about PS2 but only him was stupid to move away from his player base and try to sell to Mario fans. Also wither DMC has same engine or not, my point is that PS2 development was not the real reason behind his decision because they were already able to develop good looking games with excellent performance way before Gamecube was released.

Also I believe RE remake/ RE0 is using same tech as Onimusha. I did say DMC. I also did not claim that DMC has same engine as RE4 though it might be because DMC was originally RE4. The two games come from the same team and same tech.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
You talking about denofgeek? Yes many developers complained about PS2 but only him was stupid to move away from his player base and try to sell to Mario fans. Also wither DMC has same engine or not, my point is that PS2 development was not the real reason behind his decision because they were already able to develop good looking games with excellent performance way before Gamecube was released.

Also I believe RE remake/ RE0 is using same tech as Onimusha. I did say DMC. I also did not claim that DMC has same engine as RE4 though it might be because DMC was originally RE4. The two games come from the same team and same tech.
okay lets break this down because I think you are getting lost in the weeds in what I am saying and keep talking about different things.

First. Yes trying to make a Gamecube exclusive RE1 remake and the rest of the mainline titles was absolutely a bad decision in hindsight.
However as I said in my previous posts.

1. Shinji and Capcom did not have the resources at the time to make most of their games multiplatform.
They couldn't even get RE2 on Saturn and RE2 on N64 barely happened.
RE3 was pretty much a PS1 console exclusive for a year because they didn't have the man power to port it to anything else until the Dreamcast about a year late

2. Shinji's idea for Dreamcast and Gamecube exclusivity was not founded out of no where. In the early days of PS2 game developers had trouble programming for the system.
(Let me expand more on this point.)
In early 2001 when Shinji Mikami and a group of 3 other Game developers were remaking Resident Evil 1 they found the Gamecube to be powerful enough to help recreate the vision they originally had when making the original Resident Evil 1 on PS1

https://web.archive.org/web/20020602034729/http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio/making/vol07/index.html (This link is in Japanese but it is the history of RE1 Remakes development and how much they studies the gamecube at the very early development of the remake)

Now about your claim about Onimusha 2 using the same engine as RE1 remake. There is no proof of that. Capcom before the days of MT Engine's creation Capcom used custom engines for various games and seeing how RE1 Remake and RE0 were built with the Gamecube in mind first it is probably running on a custom engine that is quite different from Onimusha 2's. So even if lets say Onimusha 2 does in fact use the same engine as RE1 Remake but just heavily modified, that doesn't mean it can come to PS2 easily without making major setbacks like RE4 did. RE2 remake runs on the RE Engine but despite the Switch being able to run some form of the RE Engine doesn't mean RE2 remake can come to it unless they really diminish the quality. (Not saying the Switch situation is the same as the PS2 situation.)
Now that said even if that was the case of course the games could of been ported to the PS2 with downgrades but the point is Capcom didn't have those resources at the time and that is why very few of their games during this time were multiplaform at launch.

Shinji made a choice and while it was the wrong one looking back and I agree he should of focused on PS2 out of all the platforms. You could see why he would of wanted to work on a platform that was easy to work for.
He literally made the decision to go with Gamecube in September of 2001:

this deal was made 6 months after the release of Code Veronica X on PS2 in Japan which released on March 22nd, 2001 and nearly a month after the North American release on PS2 didn't exactly set the sales charts on fire.

Seeing a game like Code Veronica not sell on the PS2 mixed in the the programming difficulties the PS2 was giving him and seeing what the GameCube could do when they put it to the test is probably what drove him to Gamecube especially since at least they have some Japan presence.

No, and it will be more expensive than RE2 remake, but, less expensive than Concord 😆

I do believe that a remake of first Dino Crisis will be successful.
Dino Crisis 1 sold 2.4 million on PS1 and practically nothing on Dreamcast and PC making it the best selling game in the series.
an Expensive dino crisis remake in the vein of RE2 remake would probably atleast need to 7 million to break even.

Despite Dino Crisis 2 selling a little over 1 million, and Dino Stalker + Dino Crisis 3 being huge flops you think the franchise could sell close to what Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak did?

I just personally don't believe a Dino Crisis remake could do that unless it had serious discounts which would hurt it being a success.

Resident Evil 6 on 360 and PS3 did 9.2 Million in sales but that didn't stop capcom from nearly losing a lot of their money:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
okay lets break this down because I think you are getting lost in the weeds in what I am saying and keep talking about different things.

First. Yes trying to make a Gamecube exclusive RE1 remake and the rest of the mainline titles was absolutely a bad decision in hindsight.
However as I said in my previous posts.

1. Shinji and Capcom did not have the resources at the time to make most of their games multiplatform.
They couldn't even get RE2 on Saturn and RE2 on N64 barely happened.
RE3 was pretty much a PS1 console exclusive for a year because they didn't have the man power to port it to anything else until the Dreamcast about a year late

2. Shinji's idea for Dreamcast and Gamecube exclusivity was not founded out of no where. In the early days of PS2 game developers had trouble programming for the system.
(Let me expand more on this point.)
In early 2001 when Shinji Mikami and a group of 3 other Game developers were remaking Resident Evil 1 they found the Gamecube to be powerful enough to help recreate the vision they originally had when making the original Resident Evil 1 on PS1

https://web.archive.org/web/20020602034729/http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio/making/vol07/index.html (This link is in Japanese but it is the history of RE1 Remakes development and how much they studies the gamecube at the very early development of the remake)

Now about your claim about Onimusha 2 using the same engine as RE1 remake. There is no proof of that. Capcom before the days of MT Engine's creation Capcom used custom engines for various games and seeing how RE1 Remake and RE0 were built with the Gamecube in mind first it is probably running on a custom engine that is quite different from Onimusha 2's. So even if lets say Onimusha 2 does in fact use the same engine as RE1 Remake but just heavily modified, that doesn't mean it can come to PS2 easily without making major setbacks like RE4 did. RE2 remake runs on the RE Engine but despite the Switch being able to run some form of the RE Engine doesn't mean RE2 remake can come to it unless they really diminish the quality. (Not saying the Switch situation is the same as the PS2 situation.)
Now that said even if that was the case of course the games could of been ported to the PS2 with downgrades but the point is Capcom didn't have those resources at the time and that is why very few of their games during this time were multiplaform at launch.

Shinji made a choice and while it was the wrong one looking back and I agree he should of focused on PS2 out of all the platforms. You could see why he would of wanted to work on a platform that was easy to work for.
He literally made the decision to go with Gamecube in September of 2001:

this deal was made 6 months after the release of Code Veronica X on PS2 in Japan which released on March 22nd, 2001 and nearly a month after the North American release on PS2 didn't exactly set the sales charts on fire.

Seeing a game like Code Veronica not sell on the PS2 mixed in the the programming difficulties the PS2 was giving him and seeing what the GameCube could do when they put it to the test is probably what drove him to Gamecube especially since at least they have some Japan presence.

Dino Crisis 1 sold 2.4 million on PS1 and practically nothing on Dreamcast and PC making it the best selling game in the series.
an Expensive dino crisis remake in the vein of RE2 remake would probably atleast need to 7 million to break even.

Despite Dino Crisis 2 selling a little over 1 million, and Dino Stalker + Dino Crisis 3 being huge flops you think the franchise could sell close to what Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak did?

I just personally don't believe a Dino Crisis remake could do that unless it had serious discounts which would hurt it being a success.

Resident Evil 6 on 360 and PS3 did 9.2 Million in sales but that didn't stop capcom from nearly losing a lot of their money:
Lol you are lost. They didn't need to develop for the gamecube to begin with.
And that PS2 difficulty argument fails again because they already made games that performed perfectly on PS2 way before Gamecube release.

Regarding the engines, yes the were usually custom engines but no one ever develop them from scratch. Hence, Onimusha engine was the same used for RE and DMC engine was the base for RE4 and both were running on PS2 without issue.

Also that Gamecube is powerfull and whatever BS was just the usual PR talk.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Lol you are lost. They didn't need to develop for the gamecube to begin with.
And that PS2 difficulty argument fails again because they already made games that performed perfectly on PS2 way before Gamecube release.

Regarding the engines, yes the were usually custom engines but no one ever develop them from scratch. Hence, Onimusha engine was the same used for RE and DMC engine was the base for RE4 and both were running on PS2 without issue.

Also that Gamecube is powerfull and whatever BS was just the usual PR talk.
The irony.
But hey, since you clearly made game for both the PS2 and Gamecube and clearly know more about game development than Shinji mikami and all the game developers who voice their struggles working with PS2's emotion engine in the early days I will let you be you.

Also I really doubt DMC used the same engine as Onimusha and RE1 remake/RE0, DMC literally uses real 3D backgrounds while the latter games use per rendered backgrounds and in RE0's case use high quality video files and is the reason the remaster came out looking so great.

Also I think you don't remember the lead up toi the PS2 version of RE4.
at E3 2005 when the PS2 port was first shown off the actual gameplay footage of it was extremely rough:

Not only did they have to tone down the lighting, but the amount of enemies on screen, increase the load times between doors and even from entering and exiting the attche case, added an extra loading zone in the bulldozer section, remove water from some sections of the game, and cut a lot of polygons to the enemy models of the ganado, It took them nearly a year to port the game to PS2!

Gamecube vs PS2 graphics of Resident Evil 4:

Resident Evil 4 being announced for PS2 on October 31st, 2004, Almost a full year before the October 25th, 2005 release

Now if you truly think the Gamecube being more powerful than PS2 is just PR talk that is just as delusional as thinking a Dino Crisis Remake would be a success nowadays.
The Gamecube first released in Japan in September of 2001 a year and a half later than the PS2 did in March of 2000. There are very few games that actually look better on PS2 . The only big pit fall gamecube had was its disc space.

But if you don't believe me it, The Gamecube literally can perform more floating point operations per second than PS2 no matter how you break it down.
Gamecube: 9.4 gigaflops
PS2: 6.2 Gigaflops

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I can understand a remaster of the first 3 games being ported to modern consoles or even the first two being a success since that would be a cheap project to work on.
However an RE Engine remake or even a REX Engine remake of Dino Crisis would not move the numbers some hardcore fanboys think it would to recoup that budget.
There is a reason Dead Rising in getting an RE Engine remaster and not reimagining that makes the whole mall one area or even brand new game and that is because the odds of the latter two recouping that investment is pretty low.

Dragons Dogma 2 is probably be the most risky move we see Capcom do this generation and that game seems to not have the legs Capcom would of hoped as of yet but will still most likely be profitable.