Should We Just Start Ignoring Phil Spencer (& Xbox insiders/shills/influencers in general)?

24 Jun 2022
At this point I've just come to realize he's a type of narcissist who loves to hear his own voice, even when there's nothing of importance to be said. And over the past few years, he has coyly been acting more like the diehard extremists in his cult of personality of a fanbase he helped cultivate and, along with people like Aaron Greenberg, have weaponized and empowered to push toxicity from their fanbase in the gaming spaces to alarming levels.

Most, or almost all at this point, discourse Phil Spencer and many others in Xbox upper management put out is basically done to keep Xbox in the lead of discussion online. It's one of the few things Microsoft can seemingly outdo Sony and Nintendo on in the gaming space, though a big reason for that is because those two don't care. However, it's particularly annoying if you want to discuss PlayStation stuff without the stink of Xbox diehards suddenly attacking you for it, or somehow twisting the conversation into one about Xbox.

Gaming media personalities are also very much guilty of this, which in a lot of ways makes them even worst, since they have often the biggest platforms. The majority of their gaming coverage, whether positive or negative, revolves around Xbox, and most of what PlayStation-specific stuff is always pinned around Xbox discussion. This is very likely by design. And, we already know places like ResetERA operate the exact same way, since administrators like Ghostcrew and mods like Judge are very partial to the brand and do so at the detriment of positive PlayStation discussion on that forum, empowering Xbox fanboys on the forum to do the same.

But, it all stems from Xbox upper management, and specifically people like Phil Spencer. It puts me at odds with whatever good I'd like to see from Xbox as a brand, because I simply do not like the cult of personality and weaponization the leadership utilize, and how they (cleverly) centralize the vast majority of gaming discussion online around Xbox. Even many of you on this forum are guilty of it, and I've been guilty of it quite a bit as well. I mean ask yourself, how much have most of us discussed the games at the last State of Play, versus the rampant rumors about Xbox that started almost immediately after?

I still stand by the idea that the Discord rumor is 100% accurate, and that all of those things are at least in consideration. Over the next couple years we'll see more and more of it implemented, but if plans change, they can make adjustments. However one thing all of this has shown me, is that a LOT of these 'insiders' and media (especially on the Xbox side) are attention-seeking lames, and I'm just not interested in discussing what they want to gossip about, especially if it pertains to Xbox. At least, nowhere near as much as I did the past couple of weeks. And unless Phil Spencer or other upper management have official statements about Xbox as a brand (like hard numbers on performance, or significant strategy changes), I'm just going to ignore them too.

Sony and Nintendo (but particularly Sony) may not seem interested in having more a presence online to control narrative of discourse themselves, and I'm not interested in doing their work for them when a competitor gasses up astroturfers and warriors to spread FUD or other BS, but that doesn't mean I have to pay attention to most of the discourse that does come about if I know it's generally bunk. So I guess this is me basically saying, I'm turning on my blinders for a good long while when it comes to a lot of Xbox topics or discourse going forward.

And, after I write up this thread on Sony & Nintendo future business possibilities (basically what I already did for Microsoft last weekend), I won't be talking much about those brands at the macro level anymore for a long while, either. Like I said, I'm not interested in "defending" PS from FUD or anything like that, or even trying to reiterate for the Nth time what I feel their plans for multiplatform should be when the CFO or whoever makes an ambiguous statement that lets the fires burn with "Sony Too™". Sony's a multi-billion dollar company, they've been in console gaming for 3+ decades, they aught to know where their priorities should always be. At least Nintendo seems to mostly have their head straight on their shoulders.

Anyway I guess this turned into a sort of rant, but yeah that question is still there. Curious if others will stop "feeding the trolls", as it were. Only part that kinda sucks is Sarah Bond is part of that Xbox management. That's a fine-looking woman, would rather not see her get dragged down into the circus that is Xbox messaging and cult of personality. But it is what it is :/

UchihaMadara

29 Oct 2023
The problem is that Americans are obsessed with Twitter and what's being discussed there. They bring that trash to other platforms(Youtube, Reddit, Forums..etc) to discuss current things. Twitter is very American centric(It's only popular in US) and hence why Xbox presence is huge(Xbox is only popular in US) when in reality it's pretty much non-existent everywhere.

Stop bringing Twitter drama/discussion to other places. Problem solved

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Dumb And Dumber GIF

OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
Well now with Xbox games going to PlayStation it is probably the first time you will really listen to what Uncle Phil have to say.

No not really. I'll listen to the developers of those games when they're getting released and/or ported, but with Phil it's very easy to see that almost anytime he talks, he brings it right back around to some form of console warring.

Like how do you publicly port-beg for Helldivers 2 and complain about exclusivity not helping anyone, when you bought an entire publisher to take games away from a rival and you're still doing exclusivity yourself? Talk a big game, act on it. He also acts like MLB The Show, Destiny 2 etc. aren't enough, or that Xbox is owed PlayStation & Nintendo games simply because it exists.

It's just 100% beyond grating, the sense of entitlement.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ethomaz and arvfab