Silent Hill 2 sold 1 million copies worldwide

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Silent-Hill-2-Sales_10-16-24-1024x576.jpg

Total worldwide shipments and digital sales for the remake of survival horror game Silent Hill 2 have surpassed one million units worldwide, publisher Konami and developer Bloober Team announced.

Silent Hill 2 launched for PlayStation 5 and PC via Steam on October 8.

Here is an overview of the game, via Konami:

About
Having received a letter from his deceased wife, James heads to where they shared so many memories, in the hope of seeing her one more time: Silent Hill. There, by the lake, he finds a woman eerily similar to her…
“My name…is Maria,” the woman smiles. Her face, her voice… She’s just like her.

Experience a master-class in psychological survival horror—lauded as the best in the series—on the latest hardware with chilling visuals and visceral sounds.
Key Features
  • High-end Graphics and Sound – With ray tracing and other cutting-edge technical enhancements, the world of Silent Hill and its unsettling ambiance is even realer than before. And with the inclusion of new, immersive soundscapes, you’ll feel like you’re standing in the thick of it.
  • Larger Environments – Explore locations and buildings that were once inaccessible, or are newly added in the remake.
    Enjoy the same acclaimed story, even while you experience the town of Silent Hill with fresh eyes across an expanded map.
  • Over-the-Shoulder Camera – The remake moves from the original’s fixed-camera viewpoints to an over-the-shoulder perspective, putting you closer to what James sees, for a more thrilling, more immersive experience as you explore the town and come face-to-face with monsters.
  • Evolved Combat Gameplay – Familiar weapons like the steel pipe and handgun make their return, but now with an updated combat system. Avoid attacks with carefully timed dodges, aim down sights, and more, making monster encounters more engaging and nerve-wracking then ever.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Not bad for what is a niche survival horror franchise. I can see the game selling well over the long term especially around Black Weekend/Christmas when it could go on sale. Congratulations to Konami and Bloober Team who like most, I had no confidence in them but they did a great job so props to them.

Reactions: Bryank75

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I was expecting more. I hope Konami doesn't see this as a failure. The franchise really deserves the best.
I don’t remember Silent Hill games selling more than 2 million… this one actually has change to be the best selling one.

At end of 2018 the franchise have sold 9 million units across several games.

Konami knows that.

PS. I know some here have issues understanding that success/failure is based in power of the franchise to sell… a franchise that always sold over 5 million if a game seeks 1 million at launch is a disaster but for a franchise that never sold more than 2 million then 1 million at launch is something worth of commemoration.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I need to know what their expectations are...

But I think it's great considering the niche and howling it's been since a big entry in the franchise.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I need to know what their expectations are...

But I think it's great considering the niche and howling it's been since a big entry in the franchise.

It's great that this has been successful and everything, but Konami has a big problem on their hands which is when they're out of games to remake, they don't have the talent to make new games.

It's the same with Metal Gear, Castlevania, and Suikoden.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I'm confident they will reach another million pretty fast. The WOM is incredible and spooky season barely started. 1 million in 3 days 😲

*As of October 11, 2024 (based on our research)

It's selling better than Metaphor on PSN so the sales of that completely stalled 😬

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Lersds

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
I'm confident they will reach another million pretty fast. The WOM is incredible and spooky season barely started. 1 million in 3 days 😲

It's selling better than Metaphor on PSN so the sales of that completely stalled 😬
spooky season is almost over lol. Once Halloween passes its over. Dead Space remake and Calisito protocol sold 2 million and their bosses said thats not enough for another remake or sequel. Hopefully Silent hill 2 remake didnt cost that much to make.

• haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
spooky season is almost over lol. Once Halloween passes its over. Dead Space remake and Calisito protocol sold 2 million and their bosses said thats not enough for another remake or sequel. Hopefully Silent hill 2 remake didnt cost that much to make.

Dead Space remake sold 2 million copies in 6 months. Callisto Protocol was a new game and had to be discounted almost immediately due to poor reviews.

Silent Hill 2 is 70 dollars rather than 60 like CP and dropped to 48 dollars after like a month. The Dead Space remake just got lost in the sauce. Releasing right before Hogwarts Legacy probably wasn't a great idea, it also missed spooky season entirely as well as the holiday rush.

Silent Hill 2 will have decent legs and it'll get a 2nd spooky season next year at a reduced price and another ad campaign with it coming to Xbox and who knows maybe Switch 2.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
RE4 came out in March, REVillage in May. RE2 in January. What makes you think horror games only sell in October?

Silent Hill 2 is the best in the genre. It will always have legs.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
RE4 came out in March, REVillage in May. RE2 in January. What makes you think horror games only sell in October?

Silent Hill 2 is the best in the genre. It will always have legs.
im not saying horror games only have legs in spooky season, im just saying spooky season is over after Halloween. Silent hill 2 is not the best in genre. That would be resident evil the og of the genre. Resident evil is the progenitor.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
im not saying horror games only have legs in spooky season, im just saying spooky season is over after Halloween. Silent hill 2 is not the best in genre. That would be resident evil the og of the genre. Resident evil is the progenitor.
We could debate all night about the eternal fight between RE1 vs Silent Hill 2. They are both legendary titles but Silent Hill 2 was always the most respected, psychological horror masterpiece.

Music, themes, characters, pyramid head, the sirens, fog, dread, horror. Everything about it is ICONIC. Now redone with better camera, gameplay and combat. No need to downplay it because it's PS-exclusive 😒

Resident Evil is more like a B movie (and I love it too, don't get me wrong).