Silent Hill: The Short Message rated in Taiwan

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
Silent Hill: The Short Message, previously rated in South Korea last October, has been rated in Taiwan.

While we have no official details, it is speculated to be Sakura, the playable teaser for the Silent Hill game from Masahiro Ito and a Japanese developer, and the only leaked Silent Hill project from Dusk Golem and Video Games Chronicle that (strangely) wasn't announced at the Silent Hill Transmission.

New-Silent-Hill-(2020)-Concept-Art-Reportedly-Leaked-by-Industry-Insider.jpg

9aRR4Lk_d.webp

zLhky2j_d.webp

ze7Liry_d.webp

xTJa44x_d.webp

Sakura, leaked earlier this year, involves Masahiro Ito's previously talked-about cherry blossom concept and an SMS text message mechanic (which could account for the The Short Message title).

Ito has been working on an unknown title as a core member since January 2020. Konami also appears to be hiring for an unannounced in-house Silent Hill project.

Update:

Key art and synopsis.

TSM_temp_covershot_20220826637971249357782675.jpg

FlPXGyzacAA5xms

Anita came to an abandoned apartment to meet her friend Maya, and somehow woke up to find herself trapped in it. She must escape her own fears and the monsters lurking in the corridors, discover the truth behind the events she's trapped in, and try to escape before her own trauma consumes her will to survive.

https://www.gamerating.org.tw/Search/Game

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Interesting, I hope they can set a good standard for the next games with this one.... if they even got low 80's it would give people confidence in the franchise. Especially since they have so many projects in development. Put the best foot forward type of thing.

OP
OP
Darkknight2149

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
Dusk says this will be a prequel to SH f.
Which is weird to me since SH f is set in the past.

If Dusk Golem is saying that, then he's backtracking. Both he and every other source (including Video Games Chronicle, Eurogamer, and although they mistook the developer for Kojima, Gematsu) had already established that it's a playable teaser for a main entry from a "prominent Japanese developer" and Masahiro Ito.

That's obviously not Silent Hill f, which:
  • Is set in 1960s Japan.
  • Doesn't involve Masahiro Ito, who invented the cherry blossom concept.
  • Is made by a Taiwanese developer. Is NeoBards even considered "prominent"?
Dusk Golem also tried to say that NeoBards Entertainment is just a support studio on Silent Hill f and the primary developer is "Team Silent" (I assume he means Konami), which is also inconsistent with what every other source (and even the official announcement) has said. NeoBards is the primary developer, and every source except Dusk is on the same page on that.

(What he's saying about the name Team Silent being "practically meaningless" is also nonsense, because it specifically refers to the development team behind Silent Hill 1-4. It's not a generic title.)

Ito has also been working on a game in a major capacity since January 2020, which definitely isn't just a playable teaser (he also doesn't seem to be heavily involved with Silent Hill 2, aside from creature art). Then we have Konami hiring for an unannounced Silent Hill project.

Sakura is highly unlikely to be a playable teaser for Silent Hill f. If anything, f might have been developed as a prequel to Masahiro Ito's game.

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
If Dusk Golem is saying that, then he's backtracking. Both he and every other source (including Video Games Chronicle, Eurogamer, and although they mistook the developer for Kojima, Gematsu) had already established that it's a playable teaser for a main entry from a "prominent Japanese developer" and Masahiro Ito.

That's obviously not Silent Hill f, which:
  • Is set in 1960s Japan.
  • Doesn't involve Masahiro Ito, who invented the cherry blossom concept.
  • Is made by a Taiwanese developer. Is NeoBards even considered "prominent"?
Dusk Golem also tried to say that NeoBards Entertainment is just a support studio on Silent Hill f and the primary developer is "Team Silent" (I assume he means Konami), which is also inconsistent with what every other source (and even the official announcement) has said. NeoBards is the primary developer, and every source except Dusk is on the same page on that.

(What he's saying about the name Team Silent being "practically meaningless" is also nonsense, because it specifically refers to the development team behind Silent Hill 1-4. It's not a generic title.)

Ito has also been working on a game in a major capacity since January 2020, which definitely isn't just a playable teaser (he also doesn't seem to be heavily involved with Silent Hill 2, aside from creature art). Then we have Konami hiring for an unannounced Silent Hill project.

Sakura is highly unlikely to be a playable teaser for Silent Hill f. If anything, f might have been developed as a prequel to Masahiro Ito's game.

He also now saying that Konami has more 3 SH projects planned.

G

GhostBolt

Well if Short Message is a prequl to F then Silent Hill F is most likely a PS5 exclusive now too?

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Is he saying that Sony got the licence for Silent Hill, Metal Gear and Castlevania?

People were suggesting that for years but now with this Silent Hill news maybe it really happened 🤔

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
Is he saying that Sony got the licence for Silent Hill, Metal Gear and Castlevania?

People were suggesting that for years but now with this Silent Hill news maybe it really happened 🤔
I'm not sure how it works. But I think if Konami gave the license to Sony, they would have to disclose it. Is not something they can keep it secret.

It is weird that this demo only has PS5 rating. SH2 is PS5 exclusive. And none of the other games have platforms listed

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Didn't the leaked documents show that SH2 was a pitch to Sony, for example? Perhaps they co-financed that game and others.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I have extremely low expectations for everything they’re doing with Silent Hill.

Konami is an empty husk and a joke at this point. I can’t help but think this will be trash.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

I'm not sure how it works. But I think if Konami gave the license to Sony, they would have to disclose it. Is not something they can keep it secret.

It is weird that this demo only has PS5 rating. SH2 is PS5 exclusive. And none of the other games have platforms listed

No, Konami didn't give/sold the license to Sony. Apparently this is another lie on top of the other ones. Sony is not developing or publishing the announced Silent Hill titles and didn't announce any special deal with Konami.

All SH announced games are obviously published by Konami and seems Sony only got a (timed?) console exclusive for a remake made by Blobber Team, like it's the case of hundreds of other 3rd party or indie games. The other games don't have their platforms announced, maybe Sony also got a (timed?) console exclusive for them, or for a demo/DLC/console bundle/marketing deal, since sometimes the (timed?) console exclusive deals cover more than one project of a series, as happened with Capcom in Resident Evil or Street Fighter.

None of these announce games are developed by Japanese or 'prominent' devs. And obviously not Japan Studio or any other Sony team, Kojipro or Bokeh, who never worked on these or any other unannounced SH games, they have been working on other known projects during all this time.

Silent Hill never had great sales and Sony has a ton of IPs that sell way more, and there are many horror games on PS, so wouldn't make sense for them to buy this IP. To sign a 3rd party (timed?) console exclusivity as they do with many indies, AA or AAA games makes way more sense. Or not even that, simply to have these games as another multiplatform 3rd party games would also make sense.

Also, Konami is in a great financial shape so they aren't desperate for money or something like that. They have no reasons to sell the main IPs they have. Specially seeing they want to use themselves for several games and a movie.

On top of that, IPs like Metal Gear or Silent Hill are some of the most valuable actives that Konami has. And as a public company, if they would get rid of them they must announce it publicly to their shareholders. And they didn't announced it so it didn't happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Darkknight2149

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
Yeah, looking at his tweets, I think he was just saying that Sakura and F tie into each other in terms of connections.

Regardless, this is really exciting. I hope we get more details soon. Although there's a couple I'm not big on (namely Ascension and the remake), I really didn't expect the series to come back this hard lol.

My current most anticipated are:
  1. The Short Message (because Ito)
  2. F
  3. Townfall

Angie

Forum Veteran
5 Jul 2022
Yeah, looking at his tweets, I think he was just saying that Sakura and F tie into each other in terms of connections.

Regardless, this is really exciting. I hope we get more details soon. Although there's a couple I'm not big on (namely Ascension and the remake), I really didn't expect the series to come back this hard lol.

My current most anticipated are:
  1. The Short Message (because Ito)
  2. F
  3. Townfall
I need to annoy him enough for him to leak it :p

I will bait him by making more threads with what he says.