Skyrim lead designer says it will be 'almost impossible' for Elder Scrolls 6 to meet fan expectations

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

In a recent interview with Kiwi Talkz, Bethesda veteran Bruce Nesmith says it will be "almost impossible" for the game to meet the expectations of fans.

"The fans who want to buy Elder Scrolls 6, their expectation is going to be almost impossible to meet," Nesmith said. "And marketing departments just put their heads in their hands and weep at this. Because it's like, 'Okay, if it isn't perfect, it doesn't get a 95-plus on Metacritic, we're a failure'."

Source

11 Jul 2024
Meanwhile FFVII Remake project devs "We won't just meet fan expectations for part 3, we will exceed them", and they already did with Rebirth so I have full confidence they'll deliver again.
This kind of dev talk from the Skyrim lead designer is worrying, that's NOT what you wanna say publicly to your fans. You're at least 4 years from releasing that game and you are already telling them you won't be able to deliver?

Reactions: Ico and Dabaus

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
A sensible take. Few games live up to, let alone exceed, expectations of the OG game.
I can't think of one example where a sequel outshines the original...

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Make a MODERN technical basis, without cutting the world into rooms, and repeat the success of TES IV Oblivion in terms of quality guild quests and great Expansions. Take from Skyrim the manual design of the world.

But no, the people who did all this were squeezed out of the studio...

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Already dialing down expectations. Unless they switch engines its going to look like another PS3 game ala Starfield.

Reactions: Entropi

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
Meanwhile FFVII Remake project devs "We won't just meet fan expectations for part 3, we will exceed them", and they already did with Rebirth so I have full confidence they'll deliver again.

when the world connected by going around in cid's boat i was in awe, i dont think im ready for the airship and vincent playable lol

but youre right, im already having low expectations for the next tes, specially after starfield lmao

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
That's what happens when you take a lot of time between releases. For some reason they had a hard on with Fallout during the 8th generation and kept cruising on skyrims success.

11 Jul 2024
when the world connected by going around in cid's boat i was in awe, i dont think im ready for the airship and vincent playable lol

but youre right, im already having low expectations for the next tes, specially after starfield lmao
That's what I'm saying man! I was in awe for the entirety of my 130hr first playthrough. I couldn't believe how well they modernized the game, and we have a huge chunk left to go with probably the most amount of story and set pieces yet to come

Reactions: Ico