Slitterhead Gameplay debunks Japan Studio rants

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

If ever there was a game to debunk the idea that Sony's Japan Studios was somehow wronged and shouldn't have been closed, it's this.

In March 2020, GenDesign (formerly Team ICO) announced Epic was funding development for their next game that had been in development since 2018. We've seen absolutely nothing from this game. This studio hasn't released a game since 2016, yet somehow Naughty Dog gets shit on for not releasing a new game since 2020 and they've at least put out some remasters and remakes.

Keep an eye out for Armed Fantasia coming out in 2025? too.

I don't want to hear anything about Japan Studios from anyone going forward.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
This looks cool though. It just suffers from having a budget of a milion dollars.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
This looks cool though. It just suffers from having a budget of a milion dollars.

Silent Hill Creator Reveals Why He Left Sony Japan Studio

The director behind the iconic Silent Hill franchise, Keiichiro Toyama, has revealed that he departed Sony's now-reorganized Japan Studio due to a push for ballooning game budgets from higher-ups in the company. Toyama served as a game director at Japan Studio for over two decades and is credited for creating the Siren and Gravity Rush franchises.

This is the kind of game he wanted to make and the kind of game that doesn't actually sell or promote the platform. So yes, this is a key example of what Japan Studios no longer exists. Whereas we are able to see the creativity of Asobi with a decent budget.

People continue to perpetuate this mythos of Japan Studio, but the reality is they weren't producing successful games and worse, the risky nature and quality of development of their titles made higher budget games untenable.

The Last Guardian is the biggest budget game Team Ico made the time they were given did not help. They entirely missed releasing a title on PS3 yet the same people who come with pitchforks over release cadence for western studios have always been silent on them.

The false worship of Japan Studios should have ended with GenDesign, but it officially needs to end with Slitterhead.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The false worship of Japan Studios should have ended with GenDesign, but it officially needs to end with Slitterhead.

Why is it false worship?
People have fond memories of the games they made and were a part of

They are a part of Playstation history.
You know actual Playstation fans loved there games… Ape Escape, Everybody’s Golf, Ico, BloodBorne, Shadow of the Collosus, Patapon, Gravity Rush, Demons Souls, Wild Arms, Parappa the Rapper etc. Plenty of classics and titles that are a part of what PS became. Plenty of staff went on to go to Xdev etc.

This game looks looks like typical low budget Japan game, and looks interesting for what its worth

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
And they were still wrong for killing Japan Studios no matter who hard you try to justify it.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Why is it false worship?
People have fond memories of the games they made and were a part of

They are a part of Playstation history.
You know actual Playstation fans loved there games… Ape Escape, Everybody’s Golf, Ico, BloodBorne, Shadow of the Collosus, Patapon, Gravity Rush, Demons Souls, Wild Arms, Parappa the Rapper etc. Plenty of classics and titles that are a part of what PS became. Plenty of staff went on to go to Xdev etc.

This game looks looks like typical low budget Japan game, and looks interesting for what its worth

See, half the games you mentioned weren't even developed by Japan Studio, but that's only half the problem.

There's no issue with being nostalgic for old studios. People loved SOCOM and SOCOM 2, but pretending like Zipper Interactive was a better studio than they were would be a problem or that somehow Sony should have continued to foot the bill for games that didn't sell.

And worse to create a double standard for western studios.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: The Icon

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
See, half the games you mentioned weren't even developed by Japan Studio, but that's only half the problem.

There's no issue with being nostalgic for old studios. People loved SOCOM and SOCOM 2, but pretending like Zipper Interactive was a better studio than they were would be a problem or that somehow Sony should have continued to foot the bill for games that didn't sell.

And worse to create a double standard for western studios.
Which half of the games didnt have Japan Studios involved? Bloodborne, Ico? Gravity Rush.

Socom had alot of fans back then. Its a part of PS history

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Which half of the games didnt have Japan Studios involved? Bloodborne, Ico? Gravity Rush.

Socom had alot of fans back then. Its a part of PS history

Involved is a pretty big range and kind of shows how muddy the water is. Their involvement can range anywhere from marketing, producers, to low-level development.

Most of these games were designed and developed by external companies usually under the supervision of Japan Studio and that level of supervision doesn't necessitate hands-on involvement.

Reactions: The Icon
24 Jun 2022
@mibu no ookami my guy, you are so lost 😂. So lemme get this straight: your main reason for dismissing this game is because it doesn't "look" like a AAA blockbuster? Well no shit, Japan Studio never made AAA blockbusters, that wasn't their appeal!

The appeal was in them doing unique games with an artistic expression you didn't see from other studios. They were kind of like the "high-tier" independent film producers in video game form, during their time. They weren't interested in making Avatar, they were interested in making Pan's Labyrinth.

The gameplay in that video seems perfectly fine for the concept the devs wanted to make; just because it's not at the technical level of a HFW or GOW Ragnarok, doesn't mean it lacks a place in the market. Your problem is you have this weird idea that AA can't exist among SIE's 1P internal teams, when arguably the lack of AA is a big reason why their output has slowed down so much this year and last, in terms of internally developed traditional releases.

A game like Slitterhead isn't made to sell a shitload of consoles; it's made to add variety to the software lineup and increase the overall value of the platform to prospective buyers, even if it's just a small part of that. Believe it or not, there aren't 100 million people buying PlayStations just to play Spiderman, or TLOU, or COD, or Fortnite etc. Those games might contribute to driving sales the most, but they don't make up the total pie. You forget that there are niches to serve which can collectively add to the total install base, and Japan Studio helped cater to some of those less-mainstream niches.

As well, since we're talking video games, a platform holder IMO has a responsibility to help push & maintain things forward as an artform just as much as they do as a business. Once again, that's where groups like Japan Studio were a healthy benefit for SIE. If it was ultimately about lack of staying on schedule, then upper management should've been changed, not gutting the majority of the talent. Because there was clearly talent within Japan Studio; I know some are still with Team Asobi, but it doesn't change the fact SIE could've handled that restructuring better.

I think you also have a problem of thinking most people are putting Japan Studio on a pedestal they don't deserve. When the closure was announced, most of the backlash was due to what they represented within the whole of SIE's internal software development pipeline, and the unique culture the studio and its games brought which was now seemingly to be gone. That paired with the very noticeable growth of Western-centric internal 1P in SIE, made a lot of pre-PS4 PlayStation fans a bit upset, and rightfully so. Devs like Japan Studio, in terms of the quirkiness and artistic flavor they brought to their games, were a big part in helping define earlier PlayStation console generations.

Seeing them get shut down, coupled with the growing Westernization of various Japanese games and growing Western dev influence in the gaming space, it's all of that combined which amplified reactions towards Japan Studios getting shut down, especially considering they were a PlayStation 1P dev. You need to take a step back and realize that it's not always about sales or what's best for the profit margins as dictated by CEOs and bean counters; at the end of the day this is an artform and teams like Japan Studio contributed a good deal of value towards it in ways that benefited from direct ownership under a platform holder.

...Also I see you're trying to undercut the value of whatever Japan Studio presented to SIE by mentioning they didn't "directly" develop some of the games they were a part of. At points almost sounds like you're trying to bargain them down to a consultancy position. Funny...I'm pretty sure when people use this same tactic to downplay SIE's involvement in games like Rise of the Ronin or Stellar Blade, you are among the crop who are quick to correct them.

Just an interesting observation 🤔...

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
If it takes a decade each to release games like Ico, SotC (best game of all times) and TLG, I'll gladly wait. These are the kind of games which would sell me on a system, no matter what.

TO clearly has more satisfaction in cheerleading for a company than in actually playing good games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
@mibu no ookami is not wrong, this game looks fucking awful, if that's what the head honchos of Japan Studios were planning on giving us and PS management, then Sony was %100 right to restructure the studio.

At best this game comes out to a 60's score on Metacritic, gets promptly ignored by games media and players, then a few years later some niche Youtuber comes out with a 7 hour video about how this game is the 2nd coming of the Mona Lisa and a hidden gem, it gets 100k views lifetime. The end.

If you dissent to the above, then just ask yourself one simple question: Would you give Xbox any mercy if this game was published by them? I think the answer is clearly no.

Cool story bro.
Ape Escape 4 and a Freedom Wars remaster when?
We are far closer to an Ape Escape sequel or spiritual successor with Asobi than we ever were with late-era Japan Studios. Just look at the very pointed and specific love the IP is getting in the Astro Bot trailers.

• Shake
Reactions: mibu no ookami

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
Would you give Xbox any mercy if this game was published by them? I think the answer is clearly no.
Yes because console warring is for underage children

We are far closer to an Ape Escape sequel or spiritual successor with Asobi than we ever were with late-era Japan Studios. Just look at the very pointed and specific love the IP is getting in the Astro Bot trailers.
I would agree somewhat here though, in the sense that astro bots success could bring about more platformers

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Japan Studio was completely worthless but having only two Japanese studios is really bad.

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
Yes because console warring is for underage children
I mean true. But even without console warring being part of the thinking, this is still very subpar even if it comes out from say, Ubisoft or EA.

Like, would you pay for this at launch? Like this is not even at the standard of something like Kunitsu-gami (that new AA Capcom game) or even Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
I mean true. But even without console warring being part of the thinking, this is still very subpar even if it comes out from say, Ubisoft or EA.

Like, would you pay for this at launch? Like this is not even at the standard of something like Kunitsu-gami (that new AA Capcom game) or even Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown.
I might consider buying this on a sale long after release but honestly no, nothing about this screams must play on release even being someone who plays a lot of niche low budget games from smaller devs like NIS, Idea Factory, Falcom, or Gust. I'm all for weird and low budget but this doesn't look scary nor fun to play combat wise. It just looks a little interesting and unique but not enough to wow or intrigue

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
We got a Japan Studio, they're called Asobi, and they release bangers after bangers.

The next one is scheduled for September 6th.

OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
@mibu no ookami my guy, you are so lost 😂. So lemme get this straight: your main reason for dismissing this game is because it doesn't "look" like a AAA blockbuster? Well no shit, Japan Studio never made AAA blockbusters, that wasn't their appeal!

A game doesn't need to be AAA to be good. This game looks like shit and it looks like it plays like shit, but I'm sure it easier to assume an argument to strengthen your weak responses.

Some of my favorite games: Intelligent Cube, Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures, Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu, and Lumines... none of which were AAA when they released.

The appeal was in them doing unique games with an artistic expression you didn't see from other studios. They were kind of like the "high-tier" independent film producers in video game form, during their time. They weren't interested in making Avatar, they were interested in making Pan's Labyrinth.

Their appeal was that they put out unique and quality titles. This appeal died out when the quality eroded, while the cost continued to increase.

The gameplay in that video seems perfectly fine for the concept the devs wanted to make; just because it's not at the technical level of a HFW or GOW Ragnarok, doesn't mean it lacks a place in the market. Your problem is you have this weird idea that AA can't exist among SIE's 1P internal teams, when arguably the lack of AA is a big reason why their output has slowed down so much this year and last, in terms of internally developed traditional releases.

I hope you buy the game. I'm perfectly fine with SIE doing AA games, but Sony and probably rightfully so has decided that those efforts are better suited to be contracted out, rather than permanently having people on the payroll.

A game like Slitterhead isn't made to sell a shitload of consoles; it's made to add variety to the software lineup and increase the overall value of the platform to prospective buyers, even if it's just a small part of that. Believe it or not, there aren't 100 million people buying PlayStations just to play Spiderman, or TLOU, or COD, or Fortnite etc. Those games might contribute to driving sales the most, but they don't make up the total pie. You forget that there are niches to serve which can collectively add to the total install base, and Japan Studio helped cater to some of those less-mainstream niches.

And it still exists.

As well, since we're talking video games, a platform holder IMO has a responsibility to help push & maintain things forward as an artform just as much as they do as a business. Once again, that's where groups like Japan Studio were a healthy benefit for SIE. If it was ultimately about lack of staying on schedule, then upper management should've been changed, not gutting the majority of the talent. Because there was clearly talent within Japan Studio; I know some are still with Team Asobi, but it doesn't change the fact SIE could've handled that restructuring better.

I can tell you haven't worked in any serious professional setting. You can't always "remove" upper management and keep going. It's exactly why you saw Team Kojima leave with him. A lot of these people are recruited by said upper management and share their vision.

Somehow you think everything is just 1s and 0s, it doesn't work like that.

I think you also have a problem of thinking most people are putting Japan Studio on a pedestal they don't deserve. When the closure was announced, most of the backlash was due to what they represented within the whole of SIE's internal software development pipeline, and the unique culture the studio and its games brought which was now seemingly to be gone. That paired with the very noticeable growth of Western-centric internal 1P in SIE, made a lot of pre-PS4 PlayStation fans a bit upset, and rightfully so. Devs like Japan Studio, in terms of the quirkiness and artistic flavor they brought to their games, were a big part in helping define earlier PlayStation console generations.

They didn't represent anything. So yes, you're still putting them on a pedestal.

Seeing them get shut down, coupled with the growing Westernization of various Japanese games and growing Western dev influence in the gaming space, it's all of that combined which amplified reactions towards Japan Studios getting shut down, especially considering they were a PlayStation 1P dev. You need to take a step back and realize that it's not always about sales or what's best for the profit margins as dictated by CEOs and bean counters; at the end of the day this is an artform and teams like Japan Studio contributed a good deal of value towards it in ways that benefited from direct ownership under a platform holder.

Another straw man.

What I'm calling out is the clear double standard.

Team Ico entirely missed the PS3 generation and they eventually released a buggy mess in The Last Guardian. They get zero hate from weebs and the same weebs will thrash Naughty Dog for not having something out just 4 years later. And I'm a weeb myself. I love Japan, but the hypocrisy is disgusting and unhealthy.

I bought Arc the Lad Collection when SCEA refused to localize it. Arc 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games. I'm glad they were localized by Working Designs. I can see why they didn't localize it, but I also don't agree with it from a critical and financial standpoint. That being said, they're still running a business and have to decide where to put resources.

...Also I see you're trying to undercut the value of whatever Japan Studio presented to SIE by mentioning they didn't "directly" develop some of the games they were a part of. At points almost sounds like you're trying to bargain them down to a consultancy position. Funny...I'm pretty sure when people use this same tactic to downplay SIE's involvement in games like Rise of the Ronin or Stellar Blade, you are among the crop who are quick to correct them.

Just an interesting observation 🤔...

Quote me then. It's the exact same relationship and I've said exactly that.