Slitterhead Gameplay debunks Japan Studio rants

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

If ever there was a game to debunk the idea that Sony's Japan Studios was somehow wronged and shouldn't have been closed, it's this.

In March 2020, GenDesign (formerly Team ICO) announced Epic was funding development for their next game that had been in development since 2018. We've seen absolutely nothing from this game. This studio hasn't released a game since 2016, yet somehow Naughty Dog gets shit on for not releasing a new game since 2020 and they've at least put out some remasters and remakes.

Keep an eye out for Armed Fantasia coming out in 2025? too.

I don't want to hear anything about Japan Studios from anyone going forward.
It doesn't look very bad. At least it has better character design than the game with name of an aircraft.

• haha
Reactions: mibu no ookami
OP
OP
mibu no ookami

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
Japan Studio was completely worthless but having only two Japanese studios is really bad.

That's a reflection of the Japanese industry at the moment.

While not SUPER expensive, they aren't super cheap either. The cost of studios generally doesn't pay off.

The original plan was to really build out Team Asobi but they elected to stay smaller. They were supposed to double in size to 100 for Astrobot, but they realized adding more people at the time wouldn't have made a better game. Maybe they'll still grow in the future, but Japan has a massive problem right now.

Without Team Ico, present Japan Studio was barely a studio. Sony wanted bigger games and Team Siren didn't want to deliver, so they restructured around Asobi which was the only studio left, since Polyphony Digital had already move out.

Shuhei Yoshida gets a ton of love on the forums, but if he had taken a different approach FromSoftware likely would have been part of PlayStation Studios, although they probably wouldn't be the studio they are today if that happened.

Others have said that Sony should buy Square Enix despite the company being a shell of its former self.

I think mostly they just out right don't understand the mentality in Japan that a lot of these major designers want to build their own studios rather than work for a big publisher and they want to call their own shots. That's largely a recipe for failure.

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
The Last Guardian is the biggest budget game Team Ico made the time they were given did not help. They entirely missed releasing a title on PS3

they only released one of the most unique and fun games of the ps4 gen, people who actually plays games instead of obsessing over company money agree

The false worship of Japan Studios should have ended with GenDesign, but it officially needs to end with Slitterhead.

idk, you showing a rad piece of game probably isnt helping with that, i need slitterhead NOW, better try harder when the next ueda game releases (we all know it will still be a banger lol)

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
idk, you showing a rad piece of game probably isnt helping with that, i need slitterhead NOW, better try harder when the next ueda game releases (we all know it will still be a banger lol)
Rad? The game looks like a vastly worse version of Watch Dogs: Legion.

Animated GIF

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024

you looking at this game and thinking about watch dogs instead of siren tells me everything i should know lmfao

Impulse

21 Apr 2023
you looking at this game and thinking about watch dogs instead of siren tells me everything i should know lmfao
I mean I didn't experience Siren, so I have no ground to compare it to that game positively or negatively. The game looks less polished than A or AA games.

The switching NPCs mechanic is almost identical to Watch Dogs, sue me for seeing the comparison.

Ico

Icon Extra
8 May 2024
I mean I didn't experience Siren, so I have no ground to compare it to that game positively or negatively. The game looks less polished than A or AA games.

The switching NPCs mechanic is almost identical to Watch Dogs, sue me for seeing the comparison.

thats the thing, some people out there dont care about games being 100% polished, there are a lot of classics with some jank to it, but they always compensate with atmosphere, story, music, experimental mechanics

the swap character mechanic looks like watch dogs but in siren years ago we also had this and it was used in such a cool way to surprise survival horror fans, we dont know yet how far toyama pushed this to spice things up on the action character genre, but we know the dude has the brains to that

so if you look at slitterhead with general eye you would think its slop, but being a fan of his job and other small japanese devs you have all the reasons to hype this, its like a garage rock band delivering the fun despite their shortcomings instead of a fancy orchestra

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
I mean true. But even without console warring being part of the thinking, this is still very subpar even if it comes out from say, Ubisoft or EA.

Like, would you pay for this at launch? Like this is not even at the standard of something like Kunitsu-gami (that new AA Capcom game) or even Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown.
I might consider buying this on a sale long after release but honestly no, nothing about this screams must play on release even being someone who plays a lot of niche low budget games from smaller devs like NIS, Idea Factory, Falcom, or Gust. I'm all for weird and low budget but this doesn't look scary nor fun to play combat wise. It just looks a little interesting and unique but not enough to wow or intrigue
Correction: I had not actually watched the gameplay video in the OP until now. I'm confused now that this is being used to dunk on it?? This game looks cool! Constantly being chased by a Nemesis/Mr X style monster while being able to move from person to person and even animals to escape is a really cool and tense concept and I'm actually kinda excited for this game now. Its still not a must buy day one for me, but this is a game I actually really wanna play now!

Animated GIF
Watch Dogs isn't a horror game where you're being chased by a creature. A similar mechanic being used in a different context can be interesting.

Last edited:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Completely agree.

If Japan studios were profitable for Sony they would never have closed down.

What type of games and budgets is irrelevant.

Reality is Japan studios were bleeding money before they closed down.

Our nostalgia and feelings means fuck all to Sony.

Sony is a business not a charity.

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
they only released one of the most unique and fun games of the ps4 gen, people who actually plays games instead of obsessing over company money agree
Less GOTY awards than a random Battlefield. IS THIS UEDA'S POWER?
xm4f854.png

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
Comparing the first game from an indie studio with indie resources to a studio from a AAA publisher is a bad take.

It has some of the same members and is an indie successor to the Siren team, but it's not Japan Studio and a lot of Bokeh Game Studio employees are young hires.

Reactions: arvfab