So is Playstation and Sega’s exclusive games relationship over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Between Persona going to Xbox and now Capcom putting Monster hunter Rise on Gamepass, I think Sony need to get the Japanese developers bend them over their knee and spank them.

The Japanese developers should be 100% behind the home brand.

I mean, do the government and the companies in general not realize they are handing the industry over to an American company if they keep doing stuff like this? They are undermining their nations position in an important industry.... one rare one where they actually lead for now.
It’s simple economics, Bryan.

Microsoft is desperate enough to pay the dev costs to get the SEGA games that wouldn’t sell enough for it to be worthwhile for SEGA to port them otherwise, which helps keep the sinking ship that is SEGA afloat while they continue to search for new icebergs to ram into.

There’s no logical reason why SEGA has never made any of their SEGA AGES collection games available on PlayStation, there was no reason for them to wait a whole console generation to release PSO 2 on PlayStation in the west when there was an English localization completed in 2014 and there‘S no reason to rename the Yakuza series in the west just as it’s gaining traction, but SEGA has done all those things.

The only reason to the question why is the legendary line from Glengarry Glen Ross. “Why? Because FUCK YOU, that’s why!”

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
the gamepass money helps get these games on xbox, so i give MS credit for that.

MS gives them a bag up front, all risk is removed, the games then come out and launch digital-only on xbox, no production process.

stuff like Ni No Kuni, danganronpa, the old yakuza games etc. these would never be on xbox if not for upfront payment from MS via gamepass.

for enthusiasts it means nothing. none of us are waiting years for digital only scraps.

MH rise for instance... i just uninstalled that game a few weeks ago on my switch. it's reached end of life status for us. It's 2 years old and it's pretty much done at this point.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
the gamepass money helps get these games on xbox, so i give MS credit for that.

MS gives them a bag up front, all risk is removed, the games then come out and launch digital-only on xbox, no production process.

stuff like Ni No Kuni, danganronpa, the old yakuza games etc. these would never be on xbox if not for upfront payment from MS via gamepass.

for enthusiasts it means nothing. none of us are waiting years for digital only scraps.

MH rise for instance... i just uninstalled that game a few weeks ago on my switch. it's reached end of life status for us. It's 2 years old and it's pretty much done at this point.
The thing I object to is the bullshit contractual clause that MS forces on times exclusives that blocks the publishers from saying it’s only timed. That is just so petty and unnecessary.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
The thing I object to is the bullshit contractual clause that MS forces on times exclusives that blocks the publishers from saying it’s only timed. That is just so petty and unnecessary.
everyone does that though.

Nintendo clearly had a 2-year deal on Monster Hunter Rise, now that the exclusivity window is up, it can be ported. Also came along with the requirement that no one at capcom could ever mention the nature of the deal.

Sony's got a couple with Forspoken, FF16, etc.

I'm actually rooting for MS to pick up a couple of deals. It might actually make their system more compelling, lol. Won't happen until their marketshare improves + they re-prioritize hardcore gamers over securing gamepass slops, or buying publishers outright.

They've mismanaged their resources and it shows.

plus Xbox's brand mantra of 'no exclusives ever" needs to stop. Cut PC out too while they're at it. PC is cannibalizing their console

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
everyone does that though.

Nintendo clearly had a 2-year deal on Monster Hunter Rise, now that the exclusivity window is up, it can be ported. Also came along with the requirement that no one at capcom could ever mention the nature of the deal.

Sony's got a couple with Forspoken, FF16, etc.

I'm actually rooting for MS to pick up a couple of deals. It might actually make their system more compelling, lol. Won't happen until their marketshare improves + they re-prioritize hardcore gamers over securing gamepass slops, or buying publishers outright.

They've mismanaged their resources and it shows.

plus Xbox's brand mantra of 'no exclusives ever" needs to stop. Cut PC out too while they're at it. PC is cannibalizing their console
No, everybody does not. Sony allows publishers to say their stuff is coming out elsewhere later, and I seriously doubt Rise being ported was planned from day one, given Capcom’s clear statements that World is the mainline cross-platform MonHun and that Rise had been designed specifically for Switch, but an easy up-port to more capable systems was easy money, since the game runs on an in-house engine that has been ported to all platforms already.

The only public statements regarding a platform holder imposing an NDA on games appearing elsewhere is Microsoft. If Sony or Nintendo made similar demands, we’d probably have had someone say something, somewhere over the past few decades, but we haven’t.

• haha
Reactions: Lord Mittens

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No, everybody does not. Sony allows publishers to say their stuff is coming out elsewhere later, and I seriously doubt Rise being ported was planned from day one, given Capcom’s clear statements that World is the mainline cross-platform MonHun and that Rise had been designed specifically for Switch, but an easy up-port to more capable systems was easy money, since the game runs on an in-house engine that has been ported to all platforms already.

The only public statements regarding a platform holder imposing an NDA on games appearing elsewhere is Microsoft. If Sony or Nintendo made similar demands, we’d probably have had someone say something, somewhere over the past few decades, but we haven’t.
Microsoft, Sony Nintendo and back in the time Sega (when was a platform holder) paid to sign both temporal or full exclusives with 3rd party companies.

Regarding them saying if it's a temporal exclusive or not or allowing the 3rd party to mention depends for each game or also depends of the times. Sony also in some cases specified if it was a timed exclusive, in others didn't, in some specified for how much time, in others didn't. And well sometimes devs sign a timed exclusive but doesn't know when signed -or even when announced or released- if they'll port it to other consoles. Sometimes depends on the demand.

Rise was a full console exclusive, the next Monster Hunter will be MH6 (World sequel).

Between Persona going to Xbox and now Capcom putting Monster hunter Rise on Gamepass, I think Sony need to get the Japanese developers bend them over their knee and spank them.
PlayStation is the console with the biggest amount of Japanese exclusives and the one who gets exclusives from more 3rd party Japanese companies. Basically every known 3rd party Japanese company made at least a PS4 console exclusive game. This obviously includes Capcom and Sega.

Sega needs to improve its financials so they decided to move more to release more multiplatform games, released worldwide day one and with proper localization.

Last edited:

Old Gamer

Veteran
Founder
5 Aug 2022
The real head-scratcher is that they have already been massively screwed by Microsoft, and seem to be bending over for that same dick again.
Sega of America has been trying to get them bought by Microsoft since the late 90s.

Would also explain the self-sabotaging aspect of their business decisions.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Sega of America has been trying to get them bought by Microsoft since the late 90s.

Thankfully for us, sega of japan hasn't cared about what the American branch has had to say since the genesis days.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

SEGA has been sabotaging itself for 30-odd years. The arcade division saw the home division as a competitor, which was why home systems were not specked equally to their arcade chipsets and huge hits weren’t ported, the Japanese branch was constantly infighting with the US branch, third-parties were denied access to new dev kits and APIs until as long as 9 months after SEGA had shipped games built on the updates, they chose not to put all their games on all systems once they left the hardware business and the list of dysfunctional policies and actions goes on from there.

If SEGA can find a way to step on their own dick, they stomp the shit out of it.

I say that as someone who fell in love with SEGA’s arcade games in the 80s, still owns all their ColecoVision games, and owned the Master System, Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast and who even hunted high and low for Yakuza 1 and 2 for the PS2 on release.

Reactions: BigMclargeHuge
Status
Not open for further replies.