So now that Xbox is going 3rd party, what will be the reactions of 3rd party publishers throughout the industry?

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
As we all know, Xbox is going to become 3rd party. However I want to discuss how the rest of the industry might react to the news. Do we expect Xbox to have the same 3rd party support or less till the end of this gen? Do you expect big games like GTA6 to still be released on the console? I would love to know you're thoughts.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
bart simpson GIF

Riches company on the planet going up against other pubs hoping they dont get outbid on licenses, talents.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Ezekiel

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
"Xbox" will play Windows games going forward, rather than console ports. Microsoft will make necessary changes to windows so that handhelds and desktops can play games as if it was a console. This will be solid for Gamepass, but suck for full priced PC games where Steam dominates. Since MS is not technically capable of catching up to Steam, they'll have to make it easy to access Steam on "Xbox" while pushing their store+services first.

Reactions: historia

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
The Xbox base isn't gonna evaporate so things will not change much. Sony might be able to secure a few deals easier going forward but that's about it short term.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I think it'll make GP harder to sustain. Those publishers aren't taking money to keep a platform going, their releases now compete for GP subs or full sales, so the value proposition decreases. I can't imagine Xbox manages to get many publishers to put games on there any more since there is no component to differentiate Xbox from a direct competitor any more.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The Xbox base isn't gonna evaporate so things will not change much. Sony might be able to secure a few deals easier going forward but that's about it short term.
may not evaporate but there's quite a few casuals who will go to ps5. I'm predicting that Microsoft finds hardware unsustainable and the rumors of 3rd party OEM 'xbox' designs for next gen are true, and they will sell maybe 3-5 million per mfg over the console life cycle.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
W12, they gonna move their base to PC, Nintendo and PS. Also unlike Sony and Nintendo, hardwares may be canned.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
may not evaporate but there's quite a few casuals who will go to ps5. I'm predicting that Microsoft finds hardware unsustainable and the rumors of 3rd party OEM 'xbox' designs for next gen are true, and they will sell maybe 3-5 million per mfg over the console life cycle.
Over time they will jump ship. I just don't expect a mass exodus as it's not like all the causal games they are currently playing will suddenly cease to exist. Unless there's a snowball effect of the causals friendlists jumping to PS5... It will be slow switch.

Sony needs to be prepared for Switch 2 that's the real threat to their growth. Nintendo will have a powerful enough system (I assume), to also be able to secure ports of anything now.

Best believe Nintendo is eyeing PlayStation as competition

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Over time they will jump ship. I just don't expect a mass exodus as it's not like all the causal games they are currently playing will suddenly cease to exist. Unless there's a snowball effect of the causals friendlists jumping to PS5... It will be slow switch.

Sony needs to be prepared for Switch 2 that's the real threat to their growth. Nintendo will have a powerful enough system (I assume), to also be also to secure ports of anything now.

PS handheld may be coming horizon now that Sony has free up some competition.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Sony needs to be prepared for Switch 2 that's the real threat to their growth. Nintendo will have a powerful enough system (I assume), to also be also to secure ports of anything now.

oh yeah i don't think they'll like, throw the xbox they currently have in the dumpster. it's just they won't be there for the next xbox, whatever form that comes in.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
PS handheld may be coming horizon now that Sony has free up some competition.
Handheld? Lol
If you mean a refined portal with PS+ integration and offline play then sure bring it on.... This is a concept they should have executed from 2014 but wish them well on whatever laziness execution they'll drag their feets with yet again.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
oh yeah i don't think they'll like, throw the xbox they currently have in the dumpster. it's just they won't be there for the next xbox, whatever form that comes in.
Well let's see. A lot of people have invested a lot into that ecosystem and have libraries spanning decades. How Xbox handles this will determine a lot of things. It's not as simple as it was when Dreamcast called it quits.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well let's see. A lot of people have invested a lot into that ecosystem and have libraries spanning decades. How Xbox handles this will determine a lot of things. It's not as simple as it was when Dreamcast called it quits.
how many people? 10 million, if that? I highly doubt that's a sustainable amount of hardcore customers for what microsoft wants out of its gaming division.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
how many people? 10 million, if that? I highly doubt that's a sustainable amount of hardcore customers for what microsoft wants out of its gaming division.
That's just game Pass sub numbers tho? There are still millions more who still have huge libraries on the ecosystem. I'm just saying people are not gonna just up and abandon the platform maybe the way some expect. Even those currently upset.

But this is all speculation but that's exactly why maybe they'll allow 3rd parties to make hardware

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Interesting. Many pubs were no doubt pleased many competing franchises disappearing from Playstation, leaving the field open. But now......reality.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The big ones like Ubisoft, EA and Take2 were assholes and all giddy about the Activision deal. You would think they wanted to get acquired asap too. They deserve to lose money for backing the wrong horse.

Sega is basically second-party and they were fine to associate their IPs with Xbox and lose sales. They can go fuck themselves.

Indies all signed letters to regulators and campaigned on behalf of Microsoft (the tide lift all boats). Mike Rose (No more robots) in particular was the most embarrassing of them all. They will be the first to suffer when MS stop all the gamepass deals. They chose their faith. No pity.

The industry is an embarrassing mess. Sony could pull support and they would all die tomorrow. Good riddance.

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
I am sure EA is very sad cause they hoped they take cod off of ps5.

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
The big publishers have all invested heavily into a pipeline for multiplatform development already, and their install base is big enough to warrant continued releases on the console unless it somehow gets discontinued a la Dreamcast. I doubt we would see as many developers and publishers take the plunge in the next console generation if the development pipeline is a radical departure from this one, though. But if they go through with the rumored strategy, I don't see why they would even bother with making another Xbox console.