so... with everything going on with Xbox, what are Sony's plan for PlayStation in the future?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony will now delay the announcement of the games from their internal studios an extra 2 years and will further start to cut costs and bet against consoles.

Thankfully Jim Ryan is gone, now we need a new guy that understands PlayStation to put things in the right place, maybe it's Hermen Hulst remains to be seen.

What we need the most is Valve to make a more aggressive move towards the console space, that way Sony will start seeing PC as the direct competitor that it is and we'll get the competition everyone seems to want so much (hopefully leading to the end of paid online on consoles and paywalled cloud saves).

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
What it SHOULD be is to make PlayStation unavoidable as a gaming platform.

All AAA must haves should be fully or timed exclusive.

Pro consoles every generation that can duke it out with top end pcs.

Expand first party. Konami IPs or Square or From Soft.

Aim to sell 30 million consoles every year

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What it SHOULD be is to make PlayStation unavoidable as a gaming platform.

All AAA must haves should be fully or timed exclusive.

Pro consoles every generation that can duke it out with top end pcs.

Expand first party. Konami IPs or Square or From Soft.

Aim to sell 30 million consoles every year
It looks like GTAVI will pretty much be a PlayStation exclusive in 2025, ain't nobody be buying an Xbox at that point to play it.

Sony has no excuses to not invest heavily on PlayStation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
If they can't capitalize on this.... They are beyond incompetent.
if the PC ports continue, this'll be my last PlayStation console. Steam will have everything. PS/PC exclusives when PS/PC are the only (powerful) platforms is so dumb 😂 Switch 2 wouldn't be able to run these anyway...

If Sony continues down the PC/GAAS/Cloud path of nonsense, Nintendo will eat their lunch.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
now we need a new guy that understands PlayStation to put things in the right place, maybe it's Hermen Hulst remains to be seen.
Hermen Hulst? The guy is even more clueless. It was Jim Ryan who even went back on Hermen's initial PC push to have games on PC one year after release.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Plans: continue to make good games.
Bonus: Sony will port games to Apple and who knows, maybe Sony will use the ARM architecture on a hardware device...
Hmmm, as I mentioned in my post as well I too see them going with Apple. It should have happened at the very start of this generation since the DualSense is already the official gaming control for Apple devices.

You should post a bit more as well @Zeroing

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
-Build your studios more
-Buy more studios
-Buy a publisher
-More money into PS studio and 3rd party VR games

-Go hardcore on GTA6 advertisement as it will be the only platform to have it for a year etc. Same with RDR3

-Leave the PC platform

-More partnerships with 3rd Party exclusives just for PS consoles
-A handheld that will have one ecosystem like Steamdeck. Plays all current games

-Triple Threat Match with Steam and Nintendo

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
We are yet to see anything from him but after announcing a AAAA Kojima stealth game I'm willing give him the opportunity to show more.
Hermen tried that day 1 PC shit.
Ill give opportunity too but keep that away from PC

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
We are yet to see anything from him but after announcing a AAAA Kojima stealth game I'm willing give him the opportunity to show more.
And that's part of the problem he helped to fuck the pipeline too. Worldwide Studios have been never been in this kinda limbo state since 2014 and that was because they exhausted resources on PS3 in 2013.

Guy is incompetent but let's see what he does in the next 2 years.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
And that's part of the problem he helped to fuck the pipeline too. Worldwide Studios have been never been in this kinda limbo state since 2014 and that was because they exhausted resources on PS3 in 2013.

Guy is incompetent but let's see what he does in the next 2 years.
I'm more at easy now that Xbox died.

2024 looks weak on paper but I'm willing to see things play out.

Jury is still out on internal studios games, if they show up with bangers than we are good if not doomers were rigth. Win win for me.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
will they really go put their games on PC still?
Yes, it generates them hundreds of millions mostly in profits per year and with a huge growth every year, so they will continue investing on it because they like revenue and profit at a very low risk because every port cost them only around a couple millions.

even after their main rival failling to sell consoles and becoming a third party publisher due to day and date on PC back in 2016?
Yes, even more because now they won't have competition in home consoles market.

will they still put PS Plus on PC, Smart TV and Mobile devices despite seeing everything that's going on?
Yes, they already have PS+ Premium cloud gaming on PC and soonish will be in mobile too. They are evaluating if they can add something else there that can also bring extra value to mobile and PC users, as could be partnerships with other services like Crunchyroll.

will they now change strategy and focus more on exclusivity since they'll have around 55M new potential console buyers?
No, they won't care if Xbox dies or not: they will continue with the successful strategy they already have. They have been increasing their amount of exclusives and teams working on exclusives, both growing their existing internal 1st party teams, acquiring new ones or signing more 2nd and 3rd party exclusives than ever.

It's giving them more users, revenue and profit than ever, and keep growing. They are also successfully growing in different markets, as has been game subs, cloud gaming, VR, accesories, PC and movie/tv show adaptations. The next are going to be mobile gaming.

They said that were going to pause acquisitions due to unfavorable market conditions but that will continue with them in the mid to long term. I expect Sony to continue with gaming acquisitions in 2025 or 2026.

they can finally achieve 180 - 200M consoles sold if they put enough effort into it, now they'll be the definitive console to play ALL games (minus Nintendo), you'll be able to play Halo, Gears, Forza, God Of War, Spiderman, The Last Of Us, Horizon, Ghost Of Tsushima, Hellblade 2, all of these games on a single console
I think this gen very likely will have still several exclusives in Xbox because very likely they won't port all their games, specially the older ones that they don't see potential to sell now. And I think several future games may appear on PS5 but after a timed console exclusive. I think next gen will be different and since the start they'll release all their games day one on PS.

I think next gen MS will license their Xbox Steam machines and may or may not make their own console hardware, but will leave it to third parties maybe before stop making their own hardware. It will take time, as an example many people this gen will buy or already bought an Xbox and won't buy a PS5. I think with PS6 will be different and is when I think PS will ready explode. Specially because I also think mobile and specially the PC handhelds will eat a big chunk of the handheld consoles market.

I think it's more realistic to expect PS5 to end selling around 140-160M maximum. Specially because part of the Xbox userbase already has a PS5.

Hermen tried that day 1 PC shit.
Hermen said they won't do day 1 on PC outside some GaaS cases. PC is giving them hundreds of millions per year and with a huge growth year over year. To stop that would be totally retarded.

They will continue with PC because they want to have a profitable business in the long term and need it to pay the super expensive AAA games.

Last edited: