Sonic artist accuses SEGA of stealing his Amy model in Sonic Origins Plus

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Senior 3D Artist @Rafaknight_rk is accusing SEGA of using his Amy Model for Sonic Origins Plus without crediting him. The situation sparked some salty drama in the Sonic community.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
They look the same because he took Amy's Sonic CD design and pasted it over a modern Sonic body. Then whoever is helming this product did the same thing and wow they look similar except the professional one has better colors while lacking the bumpy hair band and Sonic smirking mouth.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They look the same because he took Amy's Sonic CD design and pasted it over a modern Sonic body. Then whoever is helming this product did the same thing and wow they look similar except the professional one has better colors while lacking the bumpy hair band and Sonic smirking mouth.

It's the same exact model. He overlaps both. The only change is one of the hair bangs.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Would have to see contracts but he was probably paid and credited for the work when he originally did it. Should he get a credit (that nobody but staff cares about or reads) if the model is used again in the future for other games? I guess? It's not like they hacked a fans PC and stole a model and didn't give him credit.

I would advise him to take legal action but what is he going to get out of it

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Would have to see contracts but he was probably paid and credited for the work when he originally did it. Should he get a credit (that nobody but staff cares about or reads) if the model is used again in the future for other games? I guess? It's not like they hacked a fans PC and stole a model and didn't give him credit.

I would advise him to take legal action but what is he going to get out of it

Seems more complex than "he was probably paid and credited" because... he wasn't credited. That model was not made for that game, they just reused a previous asset they contracted him to create and did not credit him on the game. It's like... Pretty easy to see whats happening.

• Informative
Reactions: Kokoloko and Zzero

Nym

21 Jun 2022
Seems more complex than "he was probably paid and credited" because... he wasn't credited. That model was not made for that game, they just reused a previous asset they contracted him to create and did not credit him on the game. It's like... Pretty easy to see whats happening.

6Kq789z.png

He was probably paid for his work which I would think is more important than a credit nobody cares about but him and his mom. If Sega own the model do they have to pay him for every time it's used? Lets see the contracts.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
6Kq789z.png

He was probably paid for his work which I would think is more important than a credit nobody cares about but him and his mom. If Sega own the model do they have to pay him for every time it's used? Lets see the contracts.

Nobody cares about a credit? Have you ever done any art to say something that wrong? Credits are huge in any creative market sector.

Nym

21 Jun 2022
Nobody cares about a credit? Have you ever done any art to say something that wrong? Credits are huge in any creative market sector.

Correct most people skip credits when given the chance, do you sit in a theatre and read credits after a movie? They matter to the people credited and basically nobody else cares

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Amy Rose is originally SEGA's IP anyway?

Origins plus is a compilation release

If he got original credit, I don't see what the issue is?

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
He should have a job plain and simple. Amy’s a main character and he made the model. That’s not some minor contribution.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Correct most people skip credits when given the chance, do you sit in a theatre and read credits after a movie? They matter to the people credited and basically nobody else cares

Exactly, they matter to the people credited, which is what this is all about. Artists getting credits is important so they can add their work to their portfolio. This occurs in music, 3D art, cinema, games, etc.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They need it for portfolio. You need to show experience and if you don’t get credit for works like art, testing, etc etc you will never advance. Well its very very hard to do so without experience and being credited shows that