Sony acquires Amber Japan, entering the Crypto exchange space

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
No one is praising the NFT company, or last year their acquisitions and stakes in AI and WEB3. Neither am I upset.

Totoki was clear earlier this year the age of growth is over they will only acquire if there is an opportunity and M&A growth will be more efficient and strategic in the near future. PS studios literally tripled in size last 3-4 years, like Jim Ryan said on his way out it will snowball from here on out.

24 Jun 2022
One you clearly don't know what a crypto exchange is and two you don't know that this has nothing to do with PlayStation...

Once again you're showing your true quality on this board.

Hey, let's play a game called Six Degrees of Separation:

Sony Corp - Buys a crypto company

SIE - has patents for NFTs in gaming, and is likely looking into major NFT integration into gaming.

Also SIE - wants to increase their profit margins; NFTs can be a very lucrative market for...increasing profit margins, and exerting tighter control of digital content

Also also...aren't you and @Yurinka the ones who hyped up stuff like Paramount being purchased by Sony Corps (Sony Pictures specifically) as beneficial for SIE?

So lemme guess, when it's "convenient" you'll use acquisitions by other parts of the company to big-up their benefits for PlayStation. But, when it's something you know a lot of gamers will think is a negative, it becomes "inconvenient", and you downplay any way that acquisition might be used by PlayStation as a related benefit.

So "convenient" the way that works, it's hilarious.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

SIE - has patents for NFTs in gaming, and is likely looking into major NFT integration into gaming.

Also SIE - wants to increase their profit margins; NFTs can be a very lucrative market for...increasing profit margins, and exerting tighter control of digital content

Also also...aren't you and @Yurinka the ones who hyped up stuff like Paramount being purchased by Sony Corps (Sony Pictures specifically) as beneficial for SIE?

So lemme guess, when it's "convenient" you'll use acquisitions by other parts of the company to big-up their benefits for PlayStation. But, when it's something you know a lot of gamers will think is a negative, it becomes "inconvenient", and you downplay any way that acquisition might be used by PlayStation as a related benefit.

So "convenient" the way that works, it's hilarious.

The difference is that your conclusions as always are a massive reach without any evidence.

Sony has a myriad of patents that they don't use. Buying a crypto exchange isn't necessary for them to implement NFTs.

Your analysis is consistently poor.

Sony bought the queen catalog (not in north America). Are they going to start putting all their songs in their games? Did anyone suggest that was the case?

Sony bought Alamo Drafthouse. Does that mean they're going to start doing PlayStation events at the theaters?

Not everything is going to have synergies. You continue to make massive assumptions based on poor synergies and you think that is analogous to Sony buying IPs and using it across movies/tv and gaming? Something they're already doing in the reverse? Come off it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

I think SIE won't do anything -at least something meaningful and/ore related to PS games- related to NFT in minimum a decade or half a decade because they are making a lot of investment to grow in shooters, MP, GaaS, PC, mobile and movies/tv shows plus acquiring and growing their dev and support teams, and pretty likely they are also expanding their PSN storefront and PS+ (including PS cloud gaming) to PC and mobile, smart tvs, etc.

These already are a lot of efforts growing in a lot of existing and new areas and many paradigm shifts for the following years. Most of these initiatives are still in progress and will need a few years more to be completed and developed to reach their potential.

Blockchain/NFT has a lot of potential but they still have to figure out a good usage for gaming. Personally I'd use it to allow for a secure second hand market for digital items as could be the games (plus addons), movies and music they sell or rent in their storefronts. If Sony implements this on PSN they could get a small cut of the transactions for them and the publisher.

But I don't see Sony or the big publishers open for this in the short or mid term and well, among players there are many dumb idiots who don't understand the technology, and its potential benefits because they only think this means images of monkeys, shitty games and scams.

I think that they bought this company to research and prototype potential future usages in many areas, not particularly/only gaming.

I think they won't buy it but yes, it would be really good for Sony as a whole and indirectly for SIE too.

With Paramount they'd only need to cut the fat in many operating costs they had because they were eating these profits. Something that pretty likely would be made removing redunancies when integrating it into Sony Pictures.

Paramount generates $30B in revenue/year, $10B in gross profit/year, plus many IPs that SIE could use, plus could also use it for movie adaptation of SIE IPs, and there would be more synergies possible, like moving the Sonic movies to PS Productions, who practically would monopolize the game adaptations to movies.

The acquisition would help them Sony become a market leader in movie blockbusters, not only in game or anime. Which would open many doors to Sony, so indirectly to SIE too.

No game company acquisition would provide that amount of money to Sony, and even less for the cost of Paramout. And more money for Sony means more money they would invest in SIE.

Only a short-minded, squareminded SIE fan would think that the Paramount acquisition would be negative for PS/SIE.

Last edited:

Eggman

12 Apr 2023
This is worse than Resetera garbage. This has nothing to do with Playstation

How is this site getting worse than Resetera? Find random shit about Sony and try to associate it in some bullshit way about to Playstation and doom post

Garbage tier post.

I swear this site has been infiltrated by astroturfers to shitpost about Playstation non stop just like the other sites.

Makes it hard to even come here anymore

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
This is worse than Resetera garbage. This has nothing to do with Playstation

How is this site getting worse than Resetera? Find random shit about Sony and try to associate it in some bullshit way about to Playstation and doom post

Garbage tier post.

I swear this site has been infiltrated by astroturfers to shitpost about Playstation non stop just like the other sites.

Makes it hard to even come here anymore
Exactly. the whole reason I came here was because every other forum had this giant unnecessary hate boner for PS and Sony. Took less than a year and this place is more or less the same (if not worse) I mean, someone just quoted me saying that I should care about Sony group.... like im not a business man bro, nor does the investments make have anything to do with my enjoyment of games. The only business related thing I care about is if a game I enjoyed sold enough to get a sequel... everything else is noise.