Sony Announces Xperia Play Gaming Event For 13th? 🤔...

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 Jun 2022

Timestamped in the video.

This is very interesting to say the least. For a little while, I've been saying Sony needs a mobile option in their gaming hardware ecosystem. At first I thought simply a new portable with PS4-level performance, intended as a portable PS4 with streaming capabilities for PS5 games (and maybe native ports of non-demanding PS5 games) would be the way to go. They could price it for profit, it would give smaller Japanese devs in particular something to turn to aside from just the aging Switch hardware, and those games would be 100% playable on PS4 and PS5 consoles natively to boot.

But with the advent of some of Sony's mobile game announcements & acquisitions, I've had a change of thought. By now, the original Xperia Play is ancient, but in theory it was a good idea. Basically a PSP and smartphone rolled into one. Unfortunately, the execution left some things to be desired, and the long-term commitment wasn't there. But it was maybe also a concept ahead of its time, all things considered.

11x0328mar0424.jpg

The form factor is still very slick and preferable to the monstrosity side attachments we're seeing in mobile now (or the hilarious docking of the phone to an actual controller). Since phones have moved to purely touch-based controls now, Sony could design a new Xperia Play phone with a physical button layout better mimicking a controller. Fuller-sized face buttons, a d-pad and two thumbpads for analog control. Which are all things the original had TBH; however for this instance I'd suggest they swap the location of one of the analog sticks and the d-pad.

Only tricky part would be replicating the shoulder buttons, but that shouldn't be difficult at all. Also I think it would be neat if they added in the DualSense haptic feedback features, if it's something that could be used for streaming PS5 games via the cloud. There are enough low-end RDNA2 designs that can facilitate PS4-level native performance, all that would be left is to get the right amount and speed of RAM, some decent storage, a high-quality screen and you basically have a PS4 in a smartphone.

Of course, thermals would be an issue potentially, but I think the right process node and getting the right quality of RAM, NAND/eMMC storage etc. that's light on power usage all goes a long way, and RDNA2 in itself is very power efficient. Just comes down to engineering and Sony's phones are some of the best in that regard. I don't think such a phone would be cheap, but there is a market for high-performance phones plus they can partner with any number of mobile carriers to provide the phone to clients in data plan contracts, how do you think most people have these other high-end phones? Majority aren't buying them upfront; they're subsidized as part of a mobile plan with a carrier like Sprint, T-Mobile whoever.

A new Xperia Play could also be the premium device for Sony's ongoing and future mobile games; not that those games would be exclusive to the device, that makes no sense. But in that if you want guaranteed best performance, it's likely going to be on this type of phone. It would be easy to tie PS+ integration between the phone and PS consoles as well, either as an app or built into the OS (though the latter I guess would depend on the OS and they would have to use some customized version of Android if possible).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what gets announced here. It may not be a PS Showcase (hopefully there's still one to come this month, or between now and December) but a new Xperia Play phone could do a lot for the brand in certain markets. Plus maybe they'll have different versions with various performance profiles, that are priced accordingly.

How many of you are looking forward to a new Xperia Play gaming phone and if so, what features do you think it would need to be appealing to you?

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Man I just bought the Xperia 5 iii In July but I am super interested to see what this is

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I can only consider that if they merge ecosystems with PSN features like trophies… if not it is useless like they tried in 2009.
Xperia play was actually 2011 but it looks like the PSP Go which was 2009 tho.
I think with Call of Duty being promoted on the Xperia Phones I think it would be a great Idea for them to try this again for mobile users but we will see.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Xperia Gaming Experience… Just bring a new handheld already!

It’s Easy Sony: No custom storage, software support (more 1st Party games), don’t misuse it as a porting device like you did with Vita, make it compatible with PS4 (digitally). And it will sell, with enough marketing!

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022

It’s Easy Sony: No custom storage, software support (more 1st Party games), don’t misuse it as a porting device like you did with Vita, make it compatible with PS4 (digitally). And it will sell, with enough marketing!
That's the hard part.
Sony wasn't financially able keep open enough studios to work on PS4 and PS Vita games. (Practically two HD systems even if Vita didn't really do 720p)
Thanks to unit 13 not selling they had to close zipper interactive.
wipeout 2048's sales forced them to close studio liverpool (Psygnosis).
and Bigbig studios got closed down before the North American release of little deviants but I'm sure the Japanese sales of the game made them do it
so they lost 3 studios that heavily supported the PSP that was no longer there for the vita and I imagine after sales of Uncharted golden abyss Sony bend was never going to be put on making big budget vita games after that!

Nintendo couldn't support Wii U and 3DS at the same time and Wii U was around PS3 in power and 3DS around PSP in power.
Microsoft doesn't even seem to be producing many games this gen or the second half of last gen and thats with them not ever dabbing in the handheld market besides making a few GBA and DS games here and there (Banjo Grunties Revenge and Pilot on GBA, and Viva Pinata on DS!

so it makes sense for the PlayStation Division to worrying about supporting PS5 and PSVR and let the Smartphone Division of the company keep up with the smartphone Xperia side of things!

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

L2/R2
LS/RS

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I think most people are settling into the idea of a portable compliment to your main console gaming, sharing the same library/digital backend like gamesaves. Im seeing it more amd more. Switch proves this. Deck proves this. All the Chinese portable pc's grifting the Vita form factor but adding L2/R2 prove this.

No one asked for streaming amd subscriptions, and pc focus.

Remote play, back compat and portability, paired with the usual exclusive AAA blockbusters should have been Sony's route. I do believe this understanding is taking shape more and more right now, and once again Sony is caught flat footed.

All people want to do, is quite simple. Have portable access to their games, and have as many of their games in as little places as possible. That's why PSP sold well because people hacked it to, at least, get 8/16bit games on there, if not also turning their PS1 game iso's portable if a port to UMD format didnt exist. We don't want libraries split up, or to have 7 consoles hooked-up to the TV. I shouldnt be retroarching PS1 games ive bought on PS3 digitally over on my XBSX, because Sony arent making past purchases available (Why aren't they all turned 'live', why am I waiting and hoping for the game to come to PS+ tier one day and then hoping my purchase is honored?)

Given the opportunity, I'd love to do it all legally, but more and more I see Sony bumblefuck around, that GPDWin4 is looking mightily attractive, the PS6 not so much.

Edit: I really hope this event is positive in terms of a new PSP or PS/Xperia phone retry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thicc_girls_are_teh_best
24 Jun 2022
I can only consider that if they merge ecosystems with PSN features like trophies… if not it is useless like they tried in 2009.

That's exactly what I'm thinking they would do, because why not? They've made such big changes to PS+, PSN as well, I don't see why both of those can't have their ecosystems tied into such a system tbh.

Can't see it at PS4 level, but could play some PS3 games, I believe, and some PS4 games just like most high end phones.

I think it's actually possible tbh. The most powerful smartphone on the market right now is the Samsung G22 S Ultra (apparently), and it has an Adreno 730 GPU. That GPU provides ~ 1.8 TF and the phone has 64 GB/s bandwidth in memory. It has an octa-core CPU as well, I'd imagine it's at least on par with the PS4's which was nothing special (that's where the Jaguar core memes came from, that and the XBO's CPU also being kind of weak. Neither were much a step up from the PS3's Cell CPU).

Sony could definitely go with a slim RDNA2 GPU with PS4-level performance and keep it at reasonable power consumption rate. It's the bandwidth that would be a potential roadblock; GDDR6 might be too power-hungry for a mobile device, but HBM wouldn't. On the flipside, HBM costs more, but if this is a more premium-type smartphone device, then its cost could be offset through whatever profit margins are built into it when the MSRP kicks in.

That way it can play PS4 games at native quality; it's PS3 games that might actually be the issue due to very different architecture. Assuming it would use AMD Zen 2 and RDNA2, then it'd run into a similar issue as the PS5 does (for now) when it comes to running PS3 games natively. You'd still need a software emulator and it would be very resource-intensive, so PS3 gaming on this hypothetical phone would be cloud-based I feel.

That's the hard part.
Sony wasn't financially able keep open enough studios to work on PS4 and PS Vita games. (Practically two HD systems even if Vita didn't really do 720p)
Thanks to unit 13 not selling they had to close zipper interactive.
wipeout 2048's sales forced them to close studio liverpool (Psygnosis).
and Bigbig studios got closed down before the North American release of little deviants but I'm sure the Japanese sales of the game made them do it
so they lost 3 studios that heavily supported the PSP that was no longer there for the vita and I imagine after sales of Uncharted golden abyss Sony bend was never going to be put on making big budget vita games after that!

Nintendo couldn't support Wii U and 3DS at the same time and Wii U was around PS3 in power and 3DS around PSP in power.
Microsoft doesn't even seem to be producing many games this gen or the second half of last gen and thats with them not ever dabbing in the handheld market besides making a few GBA and DS games here and there (Banjo Grunties Revenge and Pilot on GBA, and Viva Pinata on DS!

so it makes sense for the PlayStation Division to worrying about supporting PS5 and PSVR and let the Smartphone Division of the company keep up with the smartphone Xperia side of things!

Exactly. And since we're talking about a smartphone here (something to continue the Xperia Play model line no less), the extent of whatever hardware features it would have to facilitate PS4 native play would be so users can take that library on the go, effortlessly. It's not something intended to draw away dev focus from PS5 an PSVR2 on the 1P-side. There might be some 3P devs who prioritize it but they would do so knowing the games are still fully playable natively on PS4 & PS5 consoles.

It's not like the mobile division is going to make exclusives only for the phone, either. It's just that, if you want the best-performing phone to run those games and also one that can let you natively play any PS4 game on the go, have the best hardware for streaming PS5 games etc., then this would be the one to get. Most people would probably get it as part of a data plan with a carrier, some may buy it outright (I don't think it would be cheap, probably $1,000 or higher when comparing it to other premium phones at similar performance levels).

You know, they could even do something kind of like Microsoft's All-Access program. Or better way of saying it, they obviously have their carrier partners in regions, like T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint etc. I can see them maybe having data plans in tiers for different customer types, but the phone model stays the same. But different plans could tie in PS+/Extra/Premium subscriptions sharable on a PS4 or PS5 console as long as they're the same account, or something like that.

Sony doesn’t have enough mobile developers for another handheld.

This isn't really a handheld in "that" way, like its own dedicated platform.

Think of it more like a Steam Deck conceptually speaking, but in this case, with mobile features integrated, and a smaller form factor (more like an actual Xperia Play if you've seen one of those).

Status
Not open for further replies.