Sony COO Totoki: "A big problem of SIE is they don't have a deep understanding of how their work is being translated to growth

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
By the way what is up with Westerner and self-loathing. Is that a caucasian or Westerner thing?

I saw a lot of them online back in 2020 race conflict protests?
What do you mean? Do you mean Westerners acting with self-loathing? If so yes it's an aspect of cultural cringe by some portions of the West.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

As usual Mochizuki spreading lies and FUD about Sony. In this case cherrypicking some stuff putting it out of context to make it look worse than the nohingburger he really said, which was this:

An executive with finantials profile logically see devs as someone very passionate, hardworker and creative but that obviously -due to the creative process behind making a game- aren't very good a achieving milestones/development schedules/budgetts, growth or optimizing profitability, so in the business side he sees room for improvement.

Normal stuff from any gaming company: a nothingburger. Devs and executives have different mindset and goals.

Sony needs to bolster its first party seriously if there’s no new singleplayer this year till march 2025
Helldivers 2 can be played single player. For this year they also had TLOU2R and will release Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Until Dawn remade, MLB, Lost Soul Aside, Convallaria, maybe Death Stranding 2 and probably more unannounced stuff or games I forget. The only MP (which may or may not have SP content like Helldivers, I bet it won't) they have for this year is Concord.

Nintendo continue to break records & switch will probably end up selling 150 million all cause it’s has exclusive that won’t be ported to other platforms also Nintendo can release like 4 to 6 first party game every year (even if they’re smaller scale) PS won’t & will never compete w Nintendo if they continue this strategy
Sony also releases 4 to 6 games per year, even more if you count the ports. And also breaks record, they did it several of them this quarter.

Isn't this guy a known lier?
Yes
The budgets of PS Studios are not viable. 330M for Marvel SM2?
It's a normal budget for AAA games today. Games like GTA6, Fortnite, Halo Infinite, Starfield, Diablo IV, Baldur's Gate 3 must have had a pretty much bigger budget looking at the amount of people involved there + years of development.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
As usual Mochizuki spreading lies and FUD about Sony. In this case cherrypicking some stuff putting it out of context to make it look worse than the nohingburger he really said, which was this:

An executive with finantials profile logically see devs as someone very passionate, hardworker and creative but that obviously -due to the creative process behind making a game- aren't very good a achieving milestones/development schedules/budgetts, growth or optimizing profitability, so in the business side he sees room for improvement.

Normal stuff from any gaming company: a nothingburger. Devs and executives have different mindset and goals.

Helldivers 2 can be played single player. For this year they also had TLOU2R and will release Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Until Dawn remade, MLB, Lost Soul Aside, Convallaria, maybe Death Stranding 2 and probably more unannounced stuff or games I forget. The only MP (which may or may not have SP content like Helldivers, I bet it won't) they have for this year is Concord.

Sony also releases 4 to 6 games per year, even more if you count the ports. And also breaks record, they did it several of them this quarter.

Yes

It's a normal budget for AAA games today. Games like GTA6, Fortnite, Halo Infinite, Starfield, Diablo IV, Baldur's Gate 3 must have had a pretty much bigger budget looking at the amount of people involved there + years of development.
I mean I agree as long as the profit is there doesn't matter how much the budget is going to be. That is why GTA budget works they are going many years in between and still selling like crazy every year so whether something is viable is relative to sales and performance. If GTA were to lower their budget to 80 million GTA wouldn't be what it is and bet your life all the ppl buying it wouldn't keep buying it if it was a diff scope and game.

Reactions: Yurinka

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yeah, but isn't He the one acting as a boss till March of this year.
Jim is gone in march, hiroki totoki is taking over as interrim and looks to be already picking up the reins from jimbo. But he's said his main goal as the interrim is to find a permanent replacement.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jim is gone in march, hiroki totoki is taking over as interrim and looks to be already picking up the reins from jimbo. But he's said his main goal as the interrim is to find a permanent replacement.
Totoki will be interim only until the end of March, when Jim will leave and a new SIE CEO will start.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Totoki will be interim only until the end of March, when Jim will leave and a new SIE CEO will start.
wrong.

link

After almost 30 years at Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE), not to mention being president and CEO since 2019, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan has announced his retirement. He will hand over the reins of corporate power to Sony Group Corporation president and COO Hiroki Totoki on 1st April 2024, who will take on the role of Interim CEO of SIE until a suitable successor can be found. In addition, Totoki will become chairman of SIE as soon as next month, ahead of Ryan's departure.

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
Games shouldn't be costing $300 million to make, ESPECIALLY when they're barely better than games that cost $100 million -- a third of the budget.

No one with a function brain, eyes, and hands seriously believes Spider-Man 2 is THREE TIMES better than Spider-Man 1. Gameplay-wise, it's slightly better, but story-wise, I'd argue it's worse.

We already know Ghost of Tsushima cost $60 million to make, and frankly, I'd choose to replay it over Spider-Man 2 nine times out of ten. So why is the argument that games should be using DRAMATICALLY MORE than that even something people support? If people don't stop sucking off budget numbers, the AAA space is going to crash, and it will deserve it. It's why Sony thinks they need five hundred live service games to fund their blockbusters.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Games shouldn't be costing $300 million to make, ESPECIALLY when they're barely better than games that cost $100 million -- a third of the budget.

No one with a function brain, eyes, and hands seriously believes Spider-Man 2 is THREE TIMES better than Spider-Man 1. Gameplay-wise, it's slightly better, but story-wise, I'd argue it's worse.

We already know Ghost of Tsushima cost $60 million to make, and frankly, I'd choose to replay it over Spider-Man 2 nine times out of ten. So why is the argument that games should be using DRAMATICALLY MORE than that even something people support? If people don't stop sucking off budget numbers, the AAA space is going to crash, and it will deserve it. It's why Sony thinks they need five hundred live service games to fund their blockbusters.
Insomniac wastes way too much money on DEI nonsense, all these studios need to trim the fat

Reactions: Nimrota

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That is actually false.

He will be the interim from April until when Sony find another guy for the job.

Even he taking the role to talk today he is not the interim yet because Jimbo won’t left until end of March so there is no interim yet.