Sony COO Totoki: "A big problem of SIE is they don't have a deep understanding of how their work is being translated to growth

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
But Xbox and PlayStation are not comparable. One of these companies trends worse and worse every gen and sells less hardware for their platform, the other doesn't. One of these companies has 10m people purchase first party games on their platform, the other doesn't. It's the equivalent of saying two trees are both plants while one is dying and the other going on fine.

Sony doesn't own Arrowhead so if anything it's the fact they don't have enough first party games releasing that they rely on timed exclusives and console exclusives that is the issue - not that a 3rd party partnered dev put the game on PC.
The issue is that if Sony doesn't trust PlayStation anymore why should anyone else? Why does ND, SSM, Sucker Punch etc have to concern themselves with developing the game in parallel for PC instead of developing it to a single fixed-hardware platform? All this trouble to sell an extra 1 or 2 million after heavy discounts?

The timing couldn't be more telling, pivots to PC in 2020, 4 years later we are on the biggest drought we've ever seen for Sony games. Somehow Covid or whatever excuse people come up with only affects PS5 games it doesn't affect their ports.

For years now, every time these Sony suits open their mouths it to talk about how awesome PC is, I thought they were suppose to try to sell people on PlayStation. Now they even started to throw PlayStation devs under the bus while doubling down on PC.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yeah, but isn't He the one acting as a boss till March of this year.
But he is going to be replaced by a guy that he hand picks, pretty much anything he says is gospel for PlayStation going forward. The guy most suited to lead their gaming division is apparently some cost cutting bean counter.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Sony was even shutting down studios like Evolution that had just released a very successful game (we now have the leaked numbers), all while the PS4 was doing far better than anticipated. The same applies to many of their longtime partnerships.

I dont understand the logic behind this and shutting down the Wipepout team

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
I find it very funny how some people takes this as, omg Totoki is shit talking Ryan for his handlings.

Mate, Totoki is doubling down on it. Sony Group is a pure profit, they wants to increase their profit margins. They only want growth beyond console spaces, basically the opposite Furukawa. Probably because Sony does not have Mario, Pokemon, Zelda or other big tentpoles franchises

Also if SIE still in Japan their infracstructure would be somewhere around Nintendo. Shit online, shit UI, shit storefront. Of course you lots gonna complain. Kaz Hirai is the one who move SIE to California and promote European leadership, that is litteraly the best move in entertainment industry.

Reactions: Nimrota

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I dont understand the logic behind this and shutting down the Wipepout team
Cutting costs, I very much doubt that Driveclub wasn't profitable after selling about 5m copies before quickly being taken off the store.

I doubt Forza Horizon has been selling drastically more than that.

Something else to consider is, if PlayStation isn't profitable just imagine how unprofitable Xbox has to be.

Reactions: Box

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
The issue is that if Sony doesn't trust PlayStation anymore why should anyone else? Why does ND, SSM, Sucker Punch etc have to concern themselves with developing the game in parallel for PC instead of developing it to a single fixed-hardware platform? All this trouble to sell an extra 1 or 2 million after heavy discounts?

The timing couldn't be more telling, pivots to PC in 2020, 4 years later we are on the biggest drought we've ever seen for Sony games. Somehow Covid or whatever excuse people come up with only affects PS5 games it doesn't affect their ports.

For years now, every time these Sony suits open their mouths it to talk about how awesome PC is, I thought they were suppose to try to sell people on PlayStation. Now they even started to throw PlayStation devs under the bus while doubling down on PC.
Except there is no evidence that Sony doesn't trust Playstation. I don't see how porting to PC, which allegedly is making them more money, is not trusting Playstation. And sure, in fact I agree they shouldn't be doing this and it shouldn't affect PS game development, but now you're deviating from the argument of them no longer being a platform into these tangents which don't have any bearing on whether or not they're a first party developer.

It would have affected ports as heavily because the development process required several teams to work efficiently, and with many in person elements (e.g. motion capture, voice recording), to have the project delivered on time and to the quality they require. Porting on the other hand has everything completed and just requires developing the software. There isn't a grand conspiracy in this, that's the reality. In fact, acting like it is some conspiracy that games, like Helldivers 2, came to PC is off the mark considering Sony execs said GAAS games would release as such. They have been upfront about their intentions, there isn't any need to secretly sabotage the PS userbase for the apparently 1-2m you say they receive in return. This is simply completely irrational thinking.

As for the devs, do we have any evidence that studios failures to produce games within a reasonable time frame is due to PC development burden? I'd love to see it. I don't think PC has anything to do with Factions development being a total mess. It's nice to blame executives and all, but the people doing the work share some responsibility too. I don't think Sony has thrown any devs under the bus and this is evidenced by the fact Factions was cancelled and there wasn't any backlash. Does Naughty Dog share any blame for that development mess?

Reactions: emsoc and Johnic
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Except there is no evidence that Sony doesn't trust Playstation. I don't see how porting to PC, which allegedly is making them more money, is not trusting Playstation. And sure, in fact I agree they shouldn't be doing this and it shouldn't affect PS game development, but now you're deviating from the argument of them no longer being a platform into these tangents which don't have any bearing on whether or not they're a first party developer.

It would have affected ports as heavily because the development process required several teams to work efficiently, and with many in person elements (e.g. motion capture, voice recording), to have the project delivered on time and to the quality they require. Porting on the other hand has everything completed and just requires developing the software. There isn't a grand conspiracy in this, that's the reality. In fact, acting like it is some conspiracy that games, like Helldivers 2, came to PC is off the mark considering Sony execs said GAAS games would release as such. They have been upfront about their intentions, there isn't any need to secretly sabotage the PS userbase for the apparently 1-2m you say they receive in return. This is simply completely irrational thinking.

As for the devs, do we have any evidence that studios failures to produce games within a reasonable time frame is due to PC development burden? I'd love to see it. I don't think PC has anything to do with Factions development being a total mess. It's nice to blame executives and all, but the people doing the work share some responsibility too. I don't think Sony has thrown any devs under the bus and this is evidenced by the fact Factions was cancelled and there wasn't any backlash. Does Naughty Dog share any blame for that development mess?
Preach on brother.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Finding the funds to port, remake and remaster games for PC is easy, but developing a patch for 60fps for many key games is impossible.

Sony threats PlayStation players as second class citizens and takes them for granted all the time, all while they treats PC player playing their games (most of them pirates) as their main audience. Now they even turn on PlayStation devs for their lack of profit margin.

PS5, the place you go when you want to play RDR2 at 30fps.

Spider Man Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Finding the funds to port, remake and remaster games for PC is easy, but developing a patch for 60fps for many key games is impossible.

Sony threats PlayStation players as second class citizens and takes them for granted all the time, all while they treats PC player playing their games (most of them pirates) as their main audience. Now they even turn on PlayStation devs for their lack of profit margin.

Spider Man Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
I certainly agree they're completely mismanaged in not being able to port Bloodborne or patch it but will port larger titles. It's something they absolutely need to remedy.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I certainly agree they're completely mismanaged in not being able to port Bloodborne or patch it but will port larger titles. It's something they absolutely need to remedy.
They cut costs and do a low effort everywhere, but when it comes to PC their ports just don't stop coming.

Let's not even get into the merit that for Helldiver 2 you have to pay PS+ on PlayStation but online is free on PC. :ROFLMAO:

From PC players they are fine taking 30% less money and not charging for online, but PlayStation suckers get nickel and dimed.

Last edited:

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Hiroki is right. The budgets of PS Studios are not viable. 330M for Marvel SM2? This is madness. Look at Nintendo, they managed to create with just 65M a big hit with TotK. The budgets will need to decrease to a reasonable level. Less budget means also for devs to become more creative. I hate what Hollywood has done to the gaming-industry. They ruined it because everything needs to gleam. I hope the rumours are true ans Sony does reallocate their HQ back to Japan. Enough with this western madness!

Reactions: Arminius
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Hiroki is right. The budgets of PS Studios are not viable. 330M for Marvel SM2? This is madness. Look at Nintendo, they managed to create with just 65M a big hit with TotK. The budgets will need to decrease to a reasonable level. Less budget means also for devs to become more creative. I hate what Hollywood has done to the gaming-industry. They ruined it because everything needs to gleam. I hope the rumours are true ans Sony does reallocate their HQ back to Japan. Enough with this western madness!
Ewww pass on botw and totk the limited budgets show and the empty worlds. If Sony ever goes Nintendo route I'd drop them the way I have a switch and played only like 3:ganes and it's been catching dust since launch.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
By the way what is up with Westerner and self-loathing. Is that a caucasian or Westerner thing?

I saw a lot of them online back in 2020 race conflict protests?

Reactions: Gamernyc78