Sony Could decrease or increase Your Game's Difficulty If It Sees You Complain About It

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Sony is often among the leading conglomerates to introduce new dynamic systems for its games. As such, it is always exploring unique—and sometimes bizarre—ideas worth analyzing. Now, a new patent published by the company wants to use a player's emotions to personally alter a game's difficulty for them. In other words, the gameplay may change to ensure we experience exactly what the devs have intended for the gamers.

The legal doc dubbed "AFFECTIVE GAMING SYSTEM AND METHOD" wants to introduce a system that analyzes the emotions of players by using a biometric system. The proposed tech would personalize the gameplay for each user depending on their current feelings. It may decrease difficulty for a player who complains while increasing it for another who finds it much easier until everyone has the intended or balanced experience.

Certain users of a multiplayer video game may experience the game in a manner different to that which was intended, or different to that of other users also playing the game, which may lead to the user being dissatisfied with their game experience, and even feel a sense of isolation thereby," reads the patent.
]
The figure shows the schematics of the proposed affective entertainment system | Image Source: Patentscope

Sony uses the example of a horror game to explain the system. It may increase the health of players or help in another way to help them survive better. Similarly, another bunch of users not feeling the horror vibes may see a dramatic decrease in brightness, increased volume, and stronger enemies until they start to feel the creeps like the devs intended.

Last edited:

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Sony uses the example of a horror game to explain the system. It may increase the health of players or help in another way to help them survive better. Similarly, another bunch of users not feeling the horror vibes may see a dramatic decrease in brightness, increased volume, and stronger enemies until they start to feel the creeps like the devs intended.
Noticed people keep missing this part.
It can also make games harder and also if its a Horror game it can change it to creep you out even more.
So it is two sided, It can make them really Easy or super Hard.
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

• Shake
Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Noticed people keep missing this part.
It can also make games harder and also if its a Horror game it can change it to creep you out even more.
So it is two sided, It can make them really Easy or super Hard.
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA
I always start games on higher difficulties so i'd welcome that.

Reactions: TubzGaming

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony seems to be all in into anti-game mechanics. Games that we'll play themselves, games that will make themselves easier, consultants for their writers...

PlayStation is dead, their vision for the gaming market is not decent anymore.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Sony seems to be all in into anti-game mechanics. Games that we'll play themselves, games that will make themselves easier, consultants for their writers...

Stop every single shit map with you doom and gloom. Fucking ridiculous.

This is patent, those almost never materialize.

Reactions: TerraNova

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

This is just Adapative difficulty, Ratchet and Clank 2 had this back in the day

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
This is just Adapative difficulty, Ratchet and Clank 2 had this back in the day

Stop every single shit map with you doom and gloom. Fucking ridiculous.

This is patent, those almost never materialize.
So I need to change how I think because Sony now embraces it? I always hated adaptive difficulty, the only exception being probably L4D AI Director (even then I'm not sure about it).

This is one of the most lame and most insulting game mechanics out there.

Were you calling for adaptive difficulty before or it just happened to now be a good thing because you were informed Sony is going for it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah this feature is just to much imo whether it comes to fruition or not, however i could see its applicability for younger gaming demographics.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I don't see them implementing this any time soon, but more covering their asses when it comes to A.I.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I've played all. This obviously is on a grander scale and for mp games, also probably on a system level.

Cod has SBM which 99% despise, it basically punishes you for doing well by putting you in lobbies with sweaty try hards.

Reactions: Gamernyc78